Hovership
United States, CA, Cupertino
Joined Aug 2010
1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisexpensive View Post
3rdeyepro,

What changed? Was it only the board?
Yep, I only swapped out the board on this copter, but have yet to get it to work.
3rdeyepro is online now Find More Posts by 3rdeyepro
Old Aug 10, 2013, 12:43 PM
United States, AL, Birmingham
Joined Jul 2013
47 Posts
I am using a EvvGC v 1.2 board and would like some help please.

My motors are iPower GBM5208-150T with three unmarked black leads coming out. I assume this is a three phase motor. How do I know the proper connection from the motor to the board?

Thanks,
Tony
tmarone is offline Find More Posts by tmarone
Old Aug 10, 2013, 12:58 PM
Hovership
United States, CA, Cupertino
Joined Aug 2010
1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarone View Post
I am using a EvvGC v 1.2 board and would like some help please.

My motors are iPower GBM5208-150T with three unmarked black leads coming out. I assume this is a three phase motor. How do I know the proper connection from the motor to the board?

Thanks,
Tony
Plug it in, if the motor turns in the wrong direction, swap 2 wires.
3rdeyepro is online now Find More Posts by 3rdeyepro
Old Aug 10, 2013, 01:05 PM
United States, AL, Birmingham
Joined Jul 2013
47 Posts
Hi,

Thank you!

So there is no combination of the three wires that can cause the motor to fight itself or damage the FETs?

Tony
tmarone is offline Find More Posts by tmarone
Old Aug 10, 2013, 02:36 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarone View Post
Hi,

Thank you!

So there is no combination of the three wires that can cause the motor to fight itself or damage the FETs?

Tony
No.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Aug 10, 2013, 03:53 PM
Joined Apr 2007
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtuner View Post
I'm on that way - to reduce the heat and improve power of the board - paired with radically simplified layout:
not really finished, but today I believe I can do some first tests.

AND - there was space left for the 4th axis ...
Very cool! I'll be waiting to see your test results for sure!
Samdamang is offline Find More Posts by Samdamang
Old Aug 10, 2013, 05:02 PM
Qick'nDirtySolutionExpert
Germany, BY, Bobingen
Joined Mar 2013
75 Posts
Ladies and Gentlemen,
we proudly present:
the first running prototype of EvvGC V2 with 4 to 6 axis support.

first tests:
3S, 2x IPower motors GBM5206 150turns, firmware 0.3g, motor power 65%, 0,65 amps per motor torque: ~180gramms on a 90mm arm
motors get warm ~48C, drivers w/o cooling went to 50~55C

+ no more blown FET's anymore, half of the STM32's i/o pins
- 4S only (20V absolute maximum)

cheers
Lutz
Overtuner is offline Find More Posts by Overtuner
Old Aug 10, 2013, 06:01 PM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Dec 2010
2,061 Posts
All,

I don't have anything to release just yet, but we've found some issues with the 0.3x code. The resolution on the IMU's gyro should be 8192.0 (floating) and it's coded in 0.3 as 8000.0 (floating), there are also some other timer initialization issues that need to be corrected.... Deadband calculations, etc.

I have no idea of the impact good or band on these, but just recently since ala42 started to look at the code did he bring these to my attention. I've seen his prelim code and it's cleaned up a number of these issues, it also corrects an issue with turning on optimizations under eclipse that forces the code to be compiled with no optimizations as it is in the git repo (or it won't run). Those seem to be corrected as well.

I suspect in the next few days, I may have some code for someone to test... We want to go very slowly here as the deadband changes could have an impact on the FET's... Either good or bad ... Either way I wanted to let everyone know that some of the above may be related to some of the performance issues people are having.

Also we found a dT overrun issue that can occur that we hopefully have fixed. It was assumed that the code would always run at a specific interval, but if that didn't happen, all the timing could become wrong on the dT calculations.... We've fixed that now to use an actual time calculated dT.

This isn't really the optimization that the code needs, but it may get incrementally better code in your hands before we start the restructuring.

More as I know...
aadamson is offline Find More Posts by aadamson
Last edited by aadamson; Aug 10, 2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 06:39 PM
Germany, BY, Bobingen
Joined Mar 2013
75 Posts
the documentation. oh, yes. of course.
my customers called me a "documentation legasthenic", but my designs I always did on post-its
Old Aug 10, 2013, 06:58 PM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Dec 2010
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtuner View Post
the documentation. oh, yes. of course.
my customers called me a "documentation legasthenic", but my designs I always did on post-its
I might have missed it, but what are the parts that are used.

Alan
aadamson is offline Find More Posts by aadamson
Old Aug 10, 2013, 07:09 PM
Germany, BY, Bobingen
Joined Mar 2013
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aadamson View Post
I might have missed it, but what are the parts that are used.
Alan
I used TC4452VOA in the SOIC-8 package. (datasheet)

next test on a EvvGC board I do with the same Driver in TO-220-5 package - for testing with an external heatsink.

Lutz
Old Aug 10, 2013, 07:19 PM
Joined Jul 2013
16 Posts
Ok. this is how far I gotten with this.
It may help some of you. And those of you that have gotten farther... please let me know what I'm doing wrong.

EvvGC Step by Step - Not working (8 min 53 sec)

One thing I forgot to mention in the video is that im connecting RX to TX and TX to RX...
Pablo Fernandez is offline Find More Posts by Pablo Fernandez
Old Aug 11, 2013, 05:39 AM
Poland
Joined Jul 2011
126 Posts
Hi guys,

while trying to check USB hardware on v1.2 board I've discovered one major fault on my board. And it's all because I was gathering components to be ready for v1.3ce2...

It's all about the crystal. 1.3ce2 BOM suggests digikey #887-1452-1-ND. Someone in the thread suggested digikey #535-9720-1-ND as an available replacement. I also got similar crystal for my boards. But... the thing is that these crystals are 4P - have 4 little squares to solder.

PCB v1.3ce2 is ready to accept them. PCB v1.2 is NOT - it's prepared for 2P crystal, having only 2 larger areas to solder. The whole thing is about the internal connection diagram for 4P crystal, have a look:

So... pins 2 and 4 are connected. PCB v1.2 has only 2 pads to solder, so in fact pin 1 connects to 4, pin 2 connects to 3, therefore everything is short-circuited. And - that makes crystal not working, there is always a short-circuit between crystal legs.

As a result - cpu fails to start up external crystal and runs internal 8Mhz oscillator only. Therefore - motor's PWM are not rated at 18kHz, but 2kHz only ! But they work "somehow" :-) And everything else works correctly as well (GUI, leds) Arrggh... that was really hard to find out, I wouldn't have done that without my logical state analyer, I was really surprised having 2kHz on my motors :/

So - you guys having assembled v1.2 board on your own and using the crystal with 4pads - better fix it. The easiest way to fix is to replace the crystal with the one having 2 pads. But - it's not required, it can be fixed. All you need is hot air gun (to desolder the crystal) and a bit of kapton tape.

First I tried to connect external crystal with cables:

and... it worked like a charm. So... all I need was putting some kapton tape on pads 2 and 4, exactly the same as in the second picture. Then I soldered my crystal back to v1.2 PCB and it is working now as it should

And at the end, one sweet thing to all of you. I've checked VCP (virtual com port via USB) with some loopback demo and it works on v1.2 hardware! So in the near future we should have USB support builtin

Ahh - and now I can really enjoy the motors silence at 18kHz, compared to 2kHz PWM
acc007 is offline Find More Posts by acc007
Old Aug 11, 2013, 04:57 PM
Joined Feb 2013
18 Posts
1.2 Board from GLB

I am a little confused with this entire thread. There are a lot of people posting a lot of things. Here are my questions.

1- What version firmware should I be loading on a 1.2 board?
2- Do i need to install the SM resistors across the fet legs? If so, what is the correct value?
3-To change settings while 2s-3s is connected i only use the tx rx and gnd pins on uart4?
4-What value is pot for autopan. I see 1-100k, does that mean any linear pot rated from 1k to 100k? or is the sweep value 100k at may and 1k at lowest only?

I am sorry if some if this is repeated, I just dont know who to trust. Also when posting instructions for flashing the pcbs, dont say "select hex file".. i should actually tell you which file to use.

Thanks
Jason
jaygrovr is offline Find More Posts by jaygrovr
Closed Thread