HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:54 AM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
coriolan's Avatar
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,886 Posts
Many CO2 motors were made in eastern countries, among them the famous Gasparin:
http://www.gasparin.cz/?show=frames&...hatsnew&lng=en
Bill Brown in the US had a few models too:
http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/BrownJr.htm
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:06 AM
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolan View Post
Many CO2 motors were made in eastern countries, among them the famous Gasparin:
http://www.gasparin.cz/?show=frames&...hatsnew&lng=en
Bill Brown in the US had a few models too:
http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/BrownJr.htm
This is the smallest engine made by Gasparin, total height is 10mm, it was purpose made for collectors.
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:14 AM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
GallopingGhostlr's Avatar
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jan 2013
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolan View Post
Many CO2 motors were made in eastern countries, among them the famous Gasparin:
http://www.gasparin.cz/?show=frames&...hatsnew&lng=en
Bill Brown in the US had a few models too:
http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/BrownJr.htm
I especially like the CO2 that spins like a WW1 LeRhone engine. That would look super cool on say a Fokker DR1 Triplane or EIII Eindecker park flyer.
GallopingGhostlr is offline Find More Posts by GallopingGhostlr
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:16 AM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
GallopingGhostlr's Avatar
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jan 2013
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
This is the smallest engine made by Gasparin, total height is 10mm, it was purpose made for collectors.
That is really tiny, would look great on say a pistachio scale stick and tissue rubber powered plane (under 8" - 200mm wingspan).
GallopingGhostlr is offline Find More Posts by GallopingGhostlr
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:41 AM
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GallopingGhostlr View Post
I especially like the CO2 that spins like a WW1 LeRhone engine. That would look super cool on say a Fokker DR1 Triplane or EIII Eindecker park flyer.
That rotary does indeed spin like those WWI engines but make the right sound as well with some hesitating sputtering at the end of the charge. That second one is, as far as I know, the only 18 cylinder that Gasparin built, the leaflet underneath the stand says it is a prototype.
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:46 AM
Registered User
earlwb's Avatar
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,553 Posts
Yeah Reginald. that giant monster sized Cox Baby Bee has to be the greatest engine ever made. What was it something like a 50cc displacement engine?


Usually on the tiny engines getting them to start and run was a tricky proposition. Then they usually wore out quite fast as they needed very precision fitting of the internal parts and with such close tolerances it doesn't take much to wear them out of course. Then air doesn't scale down as the engines get smaller, thus the little tiny propellers wind up being very inefficient and may not be able to provide any useable thrust.

The COX .010 engine was around the extreme limit of small size in being able to power a model airplane OK. It is surprising as to how long the little engines would last when using them too. I flew a couple of them on ACE Littlest Sticks years ago and the engines outlasted the airplanes. The airplanes actually wore out from slowly getting too heavy over time from soaking up oil from the engine being run; either that or the engines were getting worn and more weak running, hard to tell now.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:47 AM
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GallopingGhostlr View Post
That is really tiny, would look great on say a pistachio scale stick and tissue rubber powered plane (under 8" - 200mm wingspan).
Some examples of Gasparin powered peanuts I did build in the past. Blériot, two Taylor Cub's F-2 and S.Dumont Demoiselle. All this was built before them tiny rc stuff was available. The Taylors are magnificent ff flyers.
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:02 AM
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
Yeah Reginald. that giant monster sized Cox Baby Bee has to be the greatest engine ever made. What was it something like a 50cc displacement engine?


Usually on the tiny engines getting them to start and run was a tricky proposition. Then they usually wore out quite fast as they needed very precision fitting of the internal parts and with such close tolerances it doesn't take much to wear them out of course. Then air doesn't scale down as the engines get smaller, thus the little tiny propellers wind up being very inefficient and may not be able to provide any useable thrust.

The COX .010 engine was around the extreme limit of small size in being able to power a model airplane OK. It is surprising as to how long the little engines would last when using them too. I flew a couple of them on ACE Littlest Sticks years ago and the engines outlasted the airplanes. The airplanes actually wore out from slowly getting too heavy over time from soaking up oil from the engine being run; either that or the engines were getting worn and more weak running, hard to tell now.
I will try to run the "obese" Cox this summer. It is freezing cold here and it looks like winter does not feel like clearing off, I do have a serious cold and that too does not seem to disappear despite several medications. I will then ask Danny to film the running of that engine. By the way, remember my Maier V-twin problems ? that's now running like a Swiss watch thanks to the prompt and good servive of Wolfgand Maier.
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:20 PM
Registered User
Somerset Pa
Joined Dec 2009
176 Posts
I will have to keep a sharp eye out as I realy want to see that elephantine babebee running too
Jaspur_x is offline Find More Posts by Jaspur_x
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:55 PM
as the name says!
AirplaneFreak100's Avatar
Barbados
Joined Sep 2012
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
I will try to run the "obese" Cox this summer. It is freezing cold here and it looks like winter does not feel like clearing off, I do have a serious cold and that too does not seem to disappear despite several medications. I will then ask Danny to film the running of that engine. By the way, remember my Maier V-twin problems ? that's now running like a Swiss watch thanks to the prompt and good servive of Wolfgand Maier.
hope everything is ok
AirplaneFreak100 is offline Find More Posts by AirplaneFreak100
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:01 PM
Registered User
earlwb's Avatar
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,553 Posts
Reginald, please do run that monster and video record it. That has to be the most awesome engine I have seen. I hope you get well soon too.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:14 AM
Registered User
earlwb's Avatar
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,553 Posts
Reginald
s giant scale Cox Baby Bee engine:

earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:04 PM
Registered User
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,239 Posts
Lovely models.
The Demoiselle is great.
That decidedly oversized twin cyl does look out of place on it though.
Seems as it should be on an 'at least' twice as big Demoiselle facsimile.
As size reference the notch in the wing leading edges of the Demo was for prop clearance.
Hasn't Gasparin ceased with the Co2 jewelry ? currently :-) concentrating on wee electric motors?
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2013, 02:11 AM
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Lovely models.
The Demoiselle is great.
That decidedly oversized twin cyl does look out of place on it though.
Seems as it should be on an 'at least' twice as big Demoiselle facsimile.
As size reference the notch in the wing leading edges of the Demo was for prop clearance.
Hasn't Gasparin ceased with the Co2 jewelry ? currently :-) concentrating on wee electric motors?
Too large ? Well the original Duteil-Chalmers engine was very large, of course most of the modern replica's use much smaller engines. Problem with my model was that I should have used a smaller capacity engine but at the same time thinner ang longer, but this was built in the early 90'ies...
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2013, 03:28 PM
as the name says!
AirplaneFreak100's Avatar
Barbados
Joined Sep 2012
409 Posts
Wow !
jow big is that?
does it just look big or is it?
AirplaneFreak100 is offline Find More Posts by AirplaneFreak100
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Worlds smallest airport. Mark Gund Life, The Universe, and Politics 4 Feb 17, 2013 05:35 PM
Discussion World's Smallest 3channel Helicopter stusvend Coaxial Helicopters 1 Jan 30, 2013 12:02 AM
For Sale World Models P47 Brushless factory motor included! fnlrun Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 8 Jan 24, 2013 01:42 PM
Discussion World's smallest engine? PeteSchug Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 13 Nov 01, 2011 03:36 AM
The World's Smallest Inline Diesel Engine aerogel Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 14 Jun 06, 2005 03:47 PM