HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:44 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,119 Posts
Discussion
When do you leave a battery charged and when do you storage charge it?

Guys,

I have heard that you should not store LiPOs and LiFe cells fully charged or discharged. They should be left at a storage charge level (about 50% charged ~3.83V/cell for LiPO I think and I do not recall for LiFE)

When can you leave a battery fully charged and when should you charge/discharge it to a sotrage charge level?

What is the charge amount for LiFE?

thanks
Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:04 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,137 Posts
LiFe is more tolerant than LiPo but needs the same treatment,it will not discharge much before terminating the storage charge.3.3 v is nominal voltage for LiFe.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:17 AM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
Many guys do not leave their LiPo charged more than a few hours.
I top off the charge from storage voltage to morning I fly.
If I don't use them I discharge them the same day.
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:29 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,119 Posts
Many guys are saying they are leaving them charged in their transmitter, like in the case of an 8FG. I wasn't sure the idea of having a long retention of voltage was the reasont o go LiPO in a Tx. I didn't think it was good for the batteries doing this.

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:45 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High View Post
Many guys are saying they are leaving them charged in their transmitter, like in the case of an 8FG. I wasn't sure the idea of having a long retention of voltage was the reasont o go LiPO in a Tx. I didn't think it was good for the batteries doing this.

Frank
Low C rating batteries used in a Tx are more tolerant I think of being stored charged. You will also notice that in the case of the DX8 it undercharges to 8.2v (only 4.1v per cell).

For me I charge before I go fly, if I don't use I discharge the same day as it is rare I would use them the next day.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:20 AM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
What leaving your batteries charged does is raise the IR.
This will limit the discharge rate of your pack.
It will hold charge OK but it will not release it very fast.
ATX doesn't need it fast.
With the low load that a TX puts on a battery, leaving it charged will not effect it much.
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:17 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,158 Posts
The time batteries are left at full charge is culmative, therefore, leave at full charge as little as practical. Storing batteries at full charge causes the battery to not only lose it's C-rate, but also it's capacity. A battery left at full charge for 1 year at 25C loses 20% of its capacity vs a 4% loss if stored at 25C and 40% charged.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:57 PM
Pro Jet Pilot
Canada, NB
Joined Apr 2006
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoodCrafter View Post
Many guys do not leave their LiPo charged more than a few hours.
I top off the charge from storage voltage to morning I fly.
If I don't use them I discharge them the same day.
Same here.
Cody f86saber is offline Find More Posts by Cody f86saber
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:12 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Jul 2005
82 Posts
My policy since the beginning days of LiPo's has been to charge them fully in early Spring, and put them at 50% storage level in late fall. When I return from flying, I fully charge any batteries that I used that day to full charge so that it is ready to go the next time I am going flying. So, my batteries remain fully charged for probably 9-months out of the year. I am not going to argue that this is the right procedure but you asked how I do it. Most of the other guys in our club seem to follow a similar procedure. At the price of the batteries that I buy, replacing one every two or three seasons is not a big deal.
allena99 is offline Find More Posts by allena99
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:50 PM
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Oct 2011
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by allena99 View Post
My policy since the beginning days of LiPo's has been to charge them fully in early Spring, and put them at 50% storage level in late fall. When I return from flying, I fully charge any batteries that I used that day to full charge so that it is ready to go the next time I am going flying. So, my batteries remain fully charged for probably 9-months out of the year. I am not going to argue that this is the right procedure but you asked how I do it. Most of the other guys in our club seem to follow a similar procedure. At the price of the batteries that I buy, replacing one every two or three seasons is not a big deal.
Same here. I never know when I'll have a chance to fly so I like to be ready at a moments notice. Most of my batteries are fully charged all the time. I'm more worried about a missed opportunity to fly than loosing a bit of battery life or performance. Life is short.
scottieusa is offline Find More Posts by scottieusa
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:02 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,438 Posts
Food for thought...

Unless one is flying small planes with small batteries, a quality charger that can charge from storage voltage to full in 10-15 minutes (a moment's notice) is a LOT cheaper than replacing abused batteries every year or two.

Additionally, batteries that have not been abused by leaving fully charged generally provide greater enjoyment as they will make greater power than neglected batteries...
mrforsyth is offline Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:48 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,171 Posts
The 6 cell 5000ma batts in my Twist 3D 40 are 5 yrs old and still going strong, and always fully charged. This thing of storage charging is way over rated. The other 2 dozen are also left fully charged, from single cell to 10 s packs, with no problems.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:33 AM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,551 Posts
Gord - I bet if you got a new 6s 5000 for that twist you'd be surprised how much more power you got out of it.
I have a set of lipos I got at the beginning of the summer which I left fully charged almost all the time. I can still fly with them, but they are tired. Flights are much more fun with the new batch I got a month ago and have been treating right (charge shortly before flight, storage charge after).
AeroKen is offline Find More Posts by AeroKen
Last edited by AeroKen; Dec 08, 2012 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Typo
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:53 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
The 6 cell 5000ma batts in my Twist 3D 40 are 5 yrs old and still going strong, and always fully charged. This thing of storage charging is way over rated. The other 2 dozen are also left fully charged, from single cell to 10 s packs, with no problems.

Gord.
Have you measured the actual capacity of the 5 yr old 6s5000 pack recently? It would be enlightening to see what has happened in 5 years.
It would also be interesting to see what the IR of those packs is?
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:55 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,171 Posts
Havn't measured the capacity but it still gets the 6 mins. of hard running on the timer with lots of poop left when it goes off. Don't have a means to measure the IR..Maybe they are ready to collapse

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2