HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:13 AM
Boar? I'm a Thermal Pig!
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Aug 2004
916 Posts
Question
Pull pull line?

I'm doing my first F3P and it uses pull-pull on the stab and rudder. What are you guys using for the lines? What's the best way to set them up?

Thanks
Barrie
Batmanwpg is offline Find More Posts by Batmanwpg
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:37 PM
"Free" in Christ! #F3P
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
910 Posts
This is how I do my pull pull. But a lot of people use Kevlar thread.

http://flightpass.higherplaneproduct...p?g2_itemId=55

Go to the bottom of the page!

Free
Free is offline Find More Posts by Free
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:49 PM
Foamies for life! #f3p
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2011
140 Posts
I am presantly using Kevlar thread, but Fishing Line works quite well!!

Not Free
Not Free is offline Find More Posts by Not Free
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:01 PM
Boar? I'm a Thermal Pig!
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Aug 2004
916 Posts
Thanks. Easy enough. I'm just about done painting it. I will post pics soon.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:10 PM
"Free" in Christ! #F3P
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
910 Posts
Great!

Free
Free is offline Find More Posts by Free
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:04 PM
Boar? I'm a Thermal Pig!
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Aug 2004
916 Posts
Mercury F3P

This is an older design Called the Mercury. I wanted a simpler design for my first F3P. Paint job is finished and assembly will start soon.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:00 PM
Boar? I'm a Thermal Pig!
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Aug 2004
916 Posts
Framed up

She's all framed up but without wheels. Electronics to follow also.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:20 PM
Boar? I'm a Thermal Pig!
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Aug 2004
916 Posts
I scrambled like crazy to get it finished today because our first indoor session is tonight. Weight is average I guess for a plane of this build at 152 grams with a 2S 450 mah battery. I will try a 360 later but the 450 is for initial tests and balance. The wheels aren't permanent either. I will turn some lighter foam ones soon.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:25 AM
rgj
Joined Dec 2010
48 Posts
Have you milled the plane? to get it light its a hugh advantage to mill the plane you can easy get 15 gr off the plane with milling and that can let you go with a lighter engine and smaller battery ..so if you can loos 15 gr on the plane and some few on the enigen and maybe 5 on the battery you will end up at maybe 125 the rest has to be saved on the build ..less glue and paint maybe? I have used paint that are for airbrushing (waterbased) and airbrush this only add maybe 1 gr on the plane , but I dont get a finish as nice as you (the colors are not so clear and strong).
But I think you are in the right direction with this plane it looks right so enjoy the plane and start planning on a new build (maybe for next year).
The real advantage for a light plane is the speed both in the up and down lines and this will give you more time to get through the manuevers.
But you plane looks similar to one I bulid last year (found drawings on the net some place) flew great but it was to heavy for the gym that we fly in som its resting in my workshop.
rgj is offline Find More Posts by rgj
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:13 AM
Boar? I'm a Thermal Pig!
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Aug 2004
916 Posts
rgi
I haven't milled the plane for several reasons. When I build a new category of plane I always like to build a simple version of it first and find out it's flying characteristics and any weaknesses the design might have. Also where I fly there is no specific time to fly just F3P and many types are flying at the same time. Many micro BNF's and larger fun type airplanes. Chances of a mid-air are good. I happened to have one with the first flight with the Mercury with a micro BNF. Luckily the other guy took the worst of it and only small amount of damage to one of my SFG on the wing. It was fixed in a few minutes and flying again. A milled airplane in that environment won't last long. I will build a milled airplane at some point. Building light is not new to me as I built competition indoor and outdoor Free Flight models for many years. Anyways it flys well but was a bit tail heavy. I will change things to fix the problem and get it flying better.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:47 AM
rgj
Joined Dec 2010
48 Posts
we are about 10 guys meeting and it only F3p style flying in the gym we fly alone and ca 4 min each ...it nice and safe and then you can use those extra hours building and not getting eaten up by others! so I see you issue
rgj is offline Find More Posts by rgj