HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:09 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Bend the stock Corsair LG forward, then run a second wire in an "L" shape that attaches to the wing behind the reg LG and attach it to the main gear just above the wheels

Does not add much weight, will still bend on a hard impact, but seriously reduces nose overs

Wolfe

PS: Flew my airfield 57" WS P-40 today for flights 3 and 4. I got it down in one piece but I probably should not have. Sold it RTF for $100 bucks tp one of the guys at the field. He got a really good deal, I got rid of it before I turned it into snow flakes LOL and got enough to buy something else and make room in the hangar for the Mosa 2.

I think I am just an old GWS kind of guy at heart - I don't know why I keep buying planes I reallly don't enjoy flying - I need to stop doing that
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Last edited by wolfewinde; Jan 28, 2013 at 08:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:31 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeabres View Post
I can't be sure but is the rated spec for the stock IPS about 20 watts or less and max input is 8.4v?
There is a note in the instructions if you use a 3s you must
have the heat sink.
Kimber is offline Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:44 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
No way would I use a 3s on any brushed motor - even with a heat sink

Wolfe
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:41 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
No way would I use a 3s on any brushed motor - even with a heat sink

Wolfe
It is what was on the table at the time.

We are looking at batteries for it. Hate to buy more all
the time.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:47 PM
Old Registered User
Gaffney, SC
Joined May 2004
73 Posts
Kimber. I don't think that motor will take a three cell lipo without burning up.....they get hot on a 2 cell lipo ( thats what I use in my Pico Tiger Moth with a heat sink).

Wayne
wb4gok is offline Find More Posts by wb4gok
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:20 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb4gok View Post
Kimber. I don't think that motor will take a three cell lipo without burning up.....they get hot on a 2 cell lipo ( thats what I use in my Pico Tiger Moth with a heat sink).

Wayne
We have some 2200's that are just a tiny bit long, we are
going to trim the battery holder thing and use them I think.
They are a little heavier, but will be farther back. I am going
to tape them on and check the CoG later. Brad has the
Tayorcraft back on the bench now.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:37 PM
Old Registered User
Gaffney, SC
Joined May 2004
73 Posts
You should be able to fly for at least an hour with 2200's, I use 800's on the Pico Moth and get tired before it runs out of juice. What kind of Taylor Craft ? I have the Eflite Clipped Wing Taylorcraft 450.

Wayne
wb4gok is offline Find More Posts by wb4gok
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:44 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Heya Kimber,

The thing about airplanes is that each one is designed for a certain "style of flight" and the trick is to "tap into that style and maximize it". I am not a big fan of ignoring the "essence of an airplane" and making it into to something it was not meant to be.

Sooooooooo.....

That little Pico Slow Stick was meant to be a lazy, low powered, light weight little floater. I think you will compromise that by going with a 2200 mah 2s. You are going to add a lot of unnecessary weight which will not help the airplane fly well and will contribute to a lot more damage if you crash it.

I know it is pain to keep buying new batteries all the time, but I really think you would get much better performance out of a small 2 cell - about 800 mah give or take a little, but no more than a 1000 mah

I really don't mean to be a jerk about this - just meaning to offer some advice that you are totally welcome to ignore LOL

I really hope it fly's well for you, regardless of what batteries you end up using

Wolfe
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:46 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,593 Posts
Thanks for the help. We are still looking at the possible thing to do.
We have some 2s 800's but they are far too light, we will have to
add some weight to the nose.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:53 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
I would try to make those work - at least to start out. Perhaps you can move them forward - even if you don't use the stock battery holder. A little velcro and a rubber band goes a long way sometimes

If that is not possible, a little weight on the front is probably better, and less weight overall, than the 2200

Wolfe
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:42 AM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeabres View Post
Phoam,

Can you post pics of your Corsair's aileron setup? i went with dual 5 gram servos mounted on top because I'll probably go belly lander (LG is on for now but landings are tough with the stock wire). I nail about 1 of 15 landings, meaning no noseover.
Wow, that's a lot of nosin' over! I hadn't realized that these like to noseover so readily, but it's not too surprising, as a Mustang of mine had the same tendencies until I bent the gear forward as Wolfe suggests, which fixed those nasty habits. I did just that with this Corsair as well to help reduce the likelihood of noseovers... it's ridiculous how much I've neglected this model; I really should finish it off soon.

As for the aileron servos, I used a 2-servo setup in the wings. Initially I attempted to use the stock control rods with a single servo, but the shape of the gullwing proved to toss practicality right out the window with the aileron linkage. So I ended up carving out servo pockets at the end of the factory channel for the leads in the bottom of wing.

I forget, what size motor does yours balance with? What size 3S?

I'm gonna use 3S 1300s with this one.
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:48 AM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
I would try to make those work - at least to start out. Perhaps you can move them forward - even if you don't use the stock battery holder. A little velcro and a rubber band goes a long way sometimes

If that is not possible, a little weight on the front is probably better, and less weight overall, than the 2200

Wolfe
We ordered some batteries from Headsup this morning.
Will need to move the wing back a bit, redo the push
rods, but it will be right.

Not sure about their spec;s, they show a AUW of 200g
with a 150g battery recommended.?????
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:49 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Ok - good for you. I am anxious to hear how she flies for you

Wolfe
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:36 PM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Sorry to jump in with an unrelated question, but can anyone think of a good reason why I shouldn't buy an e-starter?
davylah is offline Find More Posts by davylah
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:51 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davylah View Post
Sorry to jump in with an unrelated question, but can anyone think of a good reason why I shouldn't buy an e-starter?
You might get addicted to them and end up owning a half a dozen before you know it.

Like that's a bad thing.........
Hit N Run is online now Find More Posts by Hit N Run
RCG Plus Member