SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 16, 2011, 08:08 AM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNONFODDER0 View Post
Just check the temp at the end of *your* flights, too much depends on battery condition, air temperature, flight style, etc. Similar symptoms can occur as the motor starts to draw more power as it wears or increased resistance from wear and tear on the wires.

You could also search through Livonia Bob or one of the other Canadians' posts, they have discussed tips/tricks and troubleshooting.

I have a little Radio Shack IR temperature meter that I clip to my neck-strap.

v/r,
C-F
Had two full flights this a.m. - amb temp 42 F so it's all good so far. I'll pick up one of those IR thingies today - thanks for the tips.
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2011, 08:11 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Aug 2011
642 Posts
Woot! I got my HP6DSM. Now what the heck do I do? lol! Any advice on the dip switch settings, chanel 5 settings... Binding. The manual that came with the 120 talks about the HP5DSM, are the settiings the same for the 6?

TIA!
Blackanthem is offline Find More Posts by Blackanthem
Old Sep 16, 2011, 08:19 AM
Ohio
Joined Feb 2011
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pilgrim View Post
Looks like a great setup. I hate to make you repeat all the particulars, e.g. custom battery mount, camera specs, power source etc. Did you already post a blow-by-blow that I can look up?
I will post the setup later today. No time now. Sorry..
north9degrees is offline Find More Posts by north9degrees
Old Sep 16, 2011, 11:19 AM
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackanthem View Post
Woot! I got my HP6DSM. Now what the heck do I do? lol! Any advice on the dip switch settings, chanel 5 settings... Binding. The manual that came with the 120 talks about the HP5DSM, are the settiings the same for the 6?

TIA!
Craig, all the levers on top of the TX are thrown "away" from you. Right knob (on top) is all the way CW. The other knob CCW. Open the little door on the bottom left. All dip switches are down EXCEPT #4 which should be in the up position. Now you are ready to bind. Plug the battery into the heli. When the LVC light starts flickering, pull the trainer lever towards you and hold, now turn the TX on. You will hear some beeps and the flickering LVC will show solid. Release the trainer lever. Your TX and heli should be bound. Have fun

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Sep 16, 2011, 11:45 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,742 Posts
BlackAnthem, Mike, I just picked up an used 120SR w/ HP6DSM BSR last night from a local seller. Since then I've read about the same DIP sw configuration as Mike has described. Mine were set differently though. It binds and flys with my 120SR, and the seller suggested that I take a picture of it and keep it in a safe place, in case I messed up the switches and have to go back. They are UP for 3,5,7 and DOWN for the rest. I couldn't begin to tell you why, but the seller seemed to know what he was talking about. I leaving them there until I know more about what they do. You experts out there could chime in and let me know what's going on.

Also, I don't think I'm using the 5th channel. The seller told me to leave it at the 12 o'clock position. Otherwise, everything is as Mike has described.

What is the DC input port on the left side for?
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Sep 16, 2011, 11:50 AM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
11,818 Posts
Well folks, as you know BattleDude (Kyle) gave me his HP6DSM TX as a gift that is SOOOO awesome, I promised Kyle I would give back. I first asked BlackAnthem because of the most awesome work he does for our troops and their families (BlackAnthem.com). Craig, a BIG salute to you Bro. Unfortunately, a stock TX is not quite the thing to put into a care package for our troops. What was I thinking

So, for all you Guys and Gals I have a stock TX (MLP4DSM) that I had my mcX and 120SR bound to is up for grabs. It is in perfect condition as I take care of my stuff and I will ship it anywhere within the CONUS. All I ask is that it goes to someone who really needs it so, please, no hoarders.

Hoping you all have a great day,
Mike.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 11:59 AM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
11,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
BlackAnthem, Mike, I just picked up an used 120SR w/ HP6DSM BSR last night from a local seller. Since then I've read about the same DIP sw configuration as Mike has described. Mine were set differently though. It binds and flys with my 120SR, and the seller suggested that I take a picture of it and keep it in a safe place, in case I messed up the switches and have to go back. They are UP for 3,5,7 and DOWN for the rest. I couldn't begin to tell you why, but the seller seemed to know what he was talking about. I leaving them there until I know more about what they do. You experts out there could chime in and let me know what's going on.

Also, I don't think I'm using the 5th channel. The seller told me to leave it at the 12 o'clock position. Otherwise, everything is as Mike has described.

Besides the 120SR, I have the mcX bound to it as well with no problem. Maybe he had different models. This is kinda new to me too. The DC plug on the side is for charging rechargeable batts of some sort. Turn the TX so you are looking at the back. You'll see the "Charge --C+" symbol.

Mike.
Last edited by Chap1012; Sep 16, 2011 at 12:45 PM. Reason: DC plug not for recharging lipos...OOPPS
Old Sep 16, 2011, 12:26 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,774 Posts
Quote:

Heli, I am no expert but I have had a few of these HP6DSM TX's. I do know that a poster I came across said to set the RH dial all the way CW and the left hand dial all the way CCW, otherwise Mike's post is correct to the best of my knowledge. It worked for me.
BD
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Old Sep 16, 2011, 12:31 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Besides the 120SR, I have the mcX bound to it as well with no problem. Maybe he had different models. This is kinda new to me too. The DC plug on the side is for charging a lipo that you may want to consider replacing the "AA" batts. Turn the TX so you are looking at the back. You'll see the "Charge --C+" symbol.

Mike.
Mike, I think the TX rechargables in the "AA" batts would be Ni-MH
(Nickel Metal-Hydride) Not a Lipo, unless Lipo's are available for this application?

That is a charging port.

Fella's, dont plug a charger into it unless you have those batts in the TX.

BD
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Old Sep 16, 2011, 12:40 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
11,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDude View Post
(Nickel Metal-Hydride) Not a Lipo, unless Lipo's are available for this application?

That is a charging port.

BD
OOPPS, I've heard of Guys putting lipos in the compartment. I was thinking of the wrong application. I will edit my post.

Sorry Guys!! Thanks for the heads up Kyle

Mike
Old Sep 16, 2011, 01:35 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
11,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDude View Post

That is a charging port.

BD
Kyle, I just realized something. I have 16 Ni-Mh "AA" batts rated at 2200mah. I have a 4 port charger for these batts. I know you have the Thunder AC6 charger which is capable of charging Ni-Mh batts. I was just going through some of the cables that came with this charger and noticed there is a DC port (left side of charger) that one of the cables fit nicely, however, the other end of the cable has banana plugs. I tried plugging this cable into the side of both my ESky and EFlight TX's and it doesn't seem to fit right (on the ESky, not at all). I thought I might be able to plug this cable into the TX and the banana ends into the ports where the balance plug would go for charging 2S batts.

If it's not too much trouble, when you find the time, break out the cables you got with your charger and see what you come up with. This is getting interesting. It would really be nice just to plug up and charge after a few uses, rather than wait an entire day/night just to charge 4 batts in my 4 port charger.

Mike.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 01:39 PM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
I could be all wet, but if I'm reading Mr. Salt right, the 5th channel on the SR 120 works like a dual rate - in the "Off" position, cyclic servo travel is 100% while in the "On" position, servo travel is reduced. He strongly recommends leaving the 5th channel "On" (reducing the servo travel) to prevent the anti-rotation pin from bottoming out against the guide; this could cause the servos to stall.
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
Old Sep 16, 2011, 01:59 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,742 Posts
I thought about the scenario where the DC input is for charging the rechargeable AA inside the Tx. But is it not a bad idea to use rechargeable in these radios? Most rechargeables are 1.2v. 4x fully charged ones are 4.8v. The HP6DSM will sound an alarm below 4.5v. So, there is very little room to work with. I couldn't find anything regarding that DC port. But if you want to read more about the other parts of the Tx, you'll find some info in the Blade SR manual.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Sep 16, 2011, 02:35 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
11,818 Posts
Quote:
I thought about the scenario where the DC input is for charging the rechargeable AA inside the Tx. But is it not a bad idea to use rechargeable in these radios? Most rechargeables are 1.2v. 4x fully charged ones are 4.8v. The HP6DSM will sound an alarm below 4.5v. So, there is very little room to work with. I couldn't find anything regarding that DC port. But if you want to read more about the other parts of the Tx, you'll find some info in the Blade SR manual.
Heli, I've been using the 1.2v rechargeables for some time. They are 2200mah. Granted, I have to recharge the 1.2v batts before anyone using 1.5v Duracell for the same amount of time used. BUT, I have saved a ton of money. When I first got into the hobby I was buying the 1.5v Duracell's like they were going out of style. Even buying them in the 20/24 count pack was very expensive. I don't know anyone still buying regular "AA" batts. They use rechargeables or rig their TX to take a lipo that will fit into the TX compartment.

Mike
Old Sep 16, 2011, 02:40 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
11,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pilgrim View Post
I could be all wet, but if I'm reading Mr. Salt right, the 5th channel on the SR 120 works like a dual rate - in the "Off" position, cyclic servo travel is 100% while in the "On" position, servo travel is reduced. He strongly recommends leaving the 5th channel "On" (reducing the servo travel) to prevent the anti-rotation pin from bottoming out against the guide; this could cause the servos to stall.
I just tested my HP6DSM on the settings I currently have and the anti-rotational pin was fine. I did this in high and low rate.

Mike.