Old Jul 13, 2006, 09:05 PM
Über Geek
Kaneohe, Hawaii
Joined Feb 2006
770 Posts
Discussion
"Hacked" Prius running on LI cells

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/busin...0233/index.htm

Hate to be in any of those cars in the case of a fender bender. :P Might get a bit toasty, a bit quickly.

You'd have to be stupid to load your car up with LI batteries of the current technology, it's like driving around with a few hundred pounds of thermite and white phosphorus in the back seat.
ormandj is offline Find More Posts by ormandj
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2006, 09:11 PM
Über Geek
Kaneohe, Hawaii
Joined Feb 2006
770 Posts
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...ts_113mpg.html

Apparently Toyota is actually going to start using Li batteries in 2008 in the Prius. That's nuts, how on earth did they make them crash safe?
Old Jul 13, 2006, 09:13 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,952 Posts
These type Li batteries don't burn. In fact the 2008 Prius is coming std with LiPo type batteries. It is to deliever 90 to 100 MPG in the city. My Prius has NiMh batteies.
bob
bruff is online now Find More Posts by bruff
Old Jul 13, 2006, 09:51 PM
Singapore
Joined Aug 2002
758 Posts
But gasoline also burns...what's the difference?
shaneyee is offline Find More Posts by shaneyee
Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:17 PM
"Fix it till it's Broken"
Irvine, CA
Joined Jun 2006
348 Posts
But if you dent a gas tank it will leak and without ignition sources will dry up rather quickly. Lipos when dented could great ignition and burn quickly.
65535 is offline Find More Posts by 65535
Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:48 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,952 Posts
These are not the same type we fly with.
Bob
bruff is online now Find More Posts by bruff
Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:57 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,772 Posts
If the gasoline fueled internal combustion engine were invented today it would never pass safety tests. Hydrogen is much safer and so are these new lipo's.
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Jul 14, 2006, 01:13 AM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
Shucks, I would bet big money that the Toyota engineers know quite a bit more about lithium cells than 99% of the people who post here. Obviously, I'm in that 99%. I'll buy - if I can get one for MSRP or less.

Bill
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3
Old Jul 14, 2006, 01:37 AM
PNF
Los Gatos, CA
Joined May 2005
4,422 Posts
I still like "slimers".
infopimp is offline Find More Posts by infopimp
Old Jul 14, 2006, 04:18 AM
Vtol Builder
High Wycombe, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
997 Posts
the current prius is terrible for fuel econimy.

If I drive like a granny i can get 55-60 mpg out of a toyota corrolla 2ltr turbo diesel. that is as good if not better than a prius, and if you went for a little VW lupo diesel you can get about 70 - 80 MPG.
Lewist is offline Find More Posts by Lewist
Old Jul 14, 2006, 08:19 AM
"Fix it till it's Broken"
Irvine, CA
Joined Jun 2006
348 Posts
A VW bug on diesel only gets 40mpg highway.113mpg in unheard of. Honeslty though the main problem with cars is the additives they use. Petroleum in itself froma natural state burns much cleaner.
65535 is offline Find More Posts by 65535
Old Jul 14, 2006, 12:24 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65535
Petroleum in itself froma natural state burns much cleaner.
The photo is of natural petroleum burning in Kuwat after the 1991 gulf war. Clean burning?

Bill
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3
Old Jul 14, 2006, 12:45 PM
Über Geek
Kaneohe, Hawaii
Joined Feb 2006
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewist

If I drive like a granny i can get 55-60 mpg out of a toyota corrolla 2ltr turbo diesel. that is as good if not better than a prius, and if you went for a little VW lupo diesel you can get about 70 - 80 MPG.
I used to own a 2000 Honda Insight, 5 spd manual. Car was like a flea on the road, even 2mph wind would make it drift. Tiny little tires, tiny everything. However, even with about 200 lbs of stereo equipment in there (everybody has a hobby - mine is audio and rc :P) I could get 60-70mpg average on I-35 in Texas. This was driving around 60mph. In the city, 50-60 was more realistic. It was kinda cool to drive 600 miles on a 10 gallon tank, but the tradeoff just wasn't worth it. It had room for *barely* two people, going up hills could spell disaster (or at least a 10mph journey with LOTS of honking/pissed off cars behind you trying to run you of the road) if your IMA battery ran out of juice. The constant "recalls" from battery mis-readings etc, no fun. I'm sure the Prius is somewhat better (it's newer..) but I still don't think I'd own one. Not even the 2008. Maybe whatever version comes after that. Hybrid is a stop-gap technology, it lets auto makers experiment with electric power (certainly the future, we just don't know how yet..) and battery technology, while still being able to run on normal petrol.

When I start seeing quick-refuel fuel cells and methods to create hydrogen that don't take much more energy to make the hydrogen than it can produce, or some new crazy battery tech where I can plug in for 5 minutes and get the range of having been putting fuel in my car for 5 minutes (or at least 1/4 the range, I can give a little to save the environment) and it costs me much less than using this crap petrol (3.30+ a gallon here in Hawaii), I'll be all over it. We should have gone nuclear a long time ago, now we have pebble bed reactors and it's still hung up in politics. I'd rather they take Hawaii, kick everyone off, and use it as a nuclear dumping site than to continue using petrol and absolutely destroying everything in the process. Not to mention all these wars and whathave fought over control of petrol. The world would be a lot "healthier" for it, so would all the people, and we'd not be paying out the wazoo for oil (nor competing with China for it!)

I'm not an environut, but I care about my (future) children, and anybody with a gram of common sense should know we are absolutely destroying earth with all this polution. How quickly we're doing it is anybody's guess, exactly what effect we're having is also anybody's guess, but certainly we *are* doing it. If it weren't for all the big oil companies controlling so much of the political force, along with all the "big" industries (telecoms, mpaa/riaa/etc) we'd be lightyears ahead by now. It's all a big stupid political mess created by a bunch of old people trying to hang onto their wealth selfishly at the cost of everybody else, that I can't do anything about.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 01:12 PM
USA, CA, Santee
Joined Jul 2002
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewist

None of which we can get here, none of which are as big or utilitarian as the Prius and I can get 50MPG without driving "like a granny"
S3NFO is offline Find More Posts by S3NFO
Old Jul 14, 2006, 01:22 PM
United States, KY, Morehead
Joined Jan 2005
154 Posts
My prius stays 50's without even trying also!!!!! Plus it makes a great generator for field charging
skew is offline Find More Posts by skew