HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:29 AM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
341 Posts
Hey Nodd,

What size CF tube did you use for the boom, and where did you get it?

Russ
ulpilotrmh is offline Find More Posts by ulpilotrmh
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2012, 04:57 PM
Build something.
United States, CT, Fairfield
Joined Mar 2012
696 Posts
I used a 10mm outer diameter, 8mm inner diameter CF tube from rcfoam.com.

To be honest thought if I had it to do again I'd go with a much larger diameter, thinner walled tail-boom. I think that'd resist twisting loads better yet still be around the same weight. Instead I went with a small diameter, thick walled boom. She seems strong enough for regular flying but I'm concerned about long-term durability & also hard landing survivability. Again I think larger would help with that. A tapered tail-boom would be real nice too. I just didn't have the money to spend on something fancy.

Maybe poke around some more & see what other similar ships are using.
Nodd is online now Find More Posts by Nodd
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:39 PM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
341 Posts
Nodd,

I sent you a PM.

Russ
ulpilotrmh is offline Find More Posts by ulpilotrmh
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:03 AM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
957 Posts
Nodd,

Great looking plane!

Very very nice build log and pictures.

I haven't totaly scratch built a plane yet,but I'm always changing something for my own personal taste. I just built a Sig Riser 100 and stretched the wing tips 6" each and built a pod and boom fuselage,using the Bubble Dancer Pod as the basic design. I built the pod out of balsa and fiberglassed it. Then I used a Graphite Golf shaft I had laying around for the boom.It's a little heavier than a carbon shaft,but it's strong,looks good and didn't seem to affect it's performance. It turned out really good and flies great.

I've learned a couple tips from you from your build that I'll use in the future,thanks.

You need to kit this or sell your plans. I would love to build one. However,I'm not a "V" tail fan so I would have to build a conventional tail.

Put my name on the list if you decide to kit it,or sell the plans.

Eddie
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
Old Jul 13, 2012, 01:48 PM
Build something.
Joined Mar 2012
696 Posts
Glad you like her. The wing is still in development but once I've ironed out the bugs there, yes my intention is to make plans available. As far as a kit goes, well have to see.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:18 PM
Theoretical Modeler..
Joined Oct 2007
2,143 Posts
Nodd,
In post 7, where you are showing the brass guide tubes going through the ribs, how much mat'l is left between the brass tube and the outer edge of the rib? I am doing a setup similar to yours with regards to the joiner tubes, however, I am thinking that there is not enough mat'l left there to support much of anything. It looks like a little less than 0.0625" from the angle.
Is this a spot of concern with you am I over thinking the situation ?
plane_tech is offline Find More Posts by plane_tech
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:08 PM
Build something.
Joined Mar 2012
696 Posts
Well a bunch of folks, rightly so, gave me grief over that design. They suggested I install the wing-rods between the spar-caps instead. Nevertheless that part of my wing held together for several flights with no problems (it was a completely different area of the wing that ended up failing). I was concerned about weakness also, if you skip ahead to post #11 you'll see I did some reinforcing around the wing-rods. Also note that those ribs that supported the rods were plywood, not balsa.

I can't say I'd recommend that approach but if installing between the spar-caps isn't an option, that might be one way to go about it.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:24 PM
Theoretical Modeler..
Joined Oct 2007
2,143 Posts
Unfortunately, no, I can not put them between the spar caps. I have had the same suggestion on another thread I started. I did see the tapered block, resin and ply capping. I do like that idea, just not 100% on it yet.
Just out of curiosity, what is your rib spacing? I am at 1.25 between a main and sub rib with 0.125" ply ribs for the root section where the joiners will be.
plane_tech is offline Find More Posts by plane_tech
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:59 AM
Build something.
Joined Mar 2012
696 Posts
That rib spacing & ply thickness sounds about the same as my setup. Again though, a lot of folks didn't like my setup. That doesn't mean it won't work though. Best of luck to you.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:29 PM
Trex 700, Gaui X5, 450DFC
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Apr 2010
326 Posts
Nodd,

Great build log, videos, notes etc. I had a wonderful time reading and enjoying the entire process.

One idea as a way to make your balancing easier, I use these small pencil erasers and attach them to pencils used to hold my plane up when working on the CG.

They are VERY low cost, easily available as are the pencils I mount them on. A small hole in a block of wood and presto, a very simple way to safely check your CG.

Dale

*** Sorry the image is so large, not sure how to scale it lower on this site.
SoarWest is offline Find More Posts by SoarWest
Last edited by SoarWest; Jul 23, 2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:58 PM
Build something.
Joined Mar 2012
696 Posts
It takes a real man to ware a pink shirt.
It takes a real pilot to use pink erasers to check his CG.

*grin*

That's a pretty good idea. I had lots of rubber matting left over from my back yard goldfish pond, so used that but I agree, those should work great.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:07 PM
Joined Aug 2012
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoarWest View Post
Nodd,

Great build log, videos, notes etc. I had a wonderful time reading and enjoying the entire process.

One idea as a way to make your balancing easier, I use these small pencil erasers and attach them to pencils used to hold my plane up when working on the CG.

They are VERY low cost, easily available as are the pencils I mount them on. A small hole in a block of wood and presto, a very simple way to safely check your CG.

Dale

*** Sorry the image is so large, not sure how to scale it lower on this site.

Brilliant!

I'm going to use the orange ones.

My other half can have all the rest.
Himself is offline Find More Posts by Himself
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:35 PM
RISC - SCRCC - AMA member
United States, RI, Warwick
Joined Apr 2010
150 Posts
Nodd love this thread, you are a master at building. I got back into RC after 40 years away. Love the electrics. Been doing mostly ARF's don't have a lot of room and hate balsa dust, especially on my guitars which are not all in cases. Since we're neighbors I'd love to see this fly, more so if your in nearby Ct.
bluzjamer is offline Find More Posts by bluzjamer
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:39 PM
Build something.
Joined Mar 2012
696 Posts
Thank you. Yeah I know what you mean about balsa dust, it does get everywhere. Then again sanding foam isn't much better *grin*

Want to see me fly this plane? There maybe a small issue there, check this thread to see why...

Sailplane Wing Design Round II
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1661115&pp=100#post21739189
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:46 PM
Joined May 2006
22 Posts
Great build!

Great build Nodd! Really enjoyed following. I did notice that like all vee tails it seemed to slide around a bit.(watching the maiden) Very much like a couple of designs I have flown in the past few years.
I know the look of you tail is cool but would it not track a bit better if the lines were not swept back as much?
Have flown some F3J designs with less sweep than yours and they tracked very well, almost as well as cross tail.
I have enjoyed reading your thread and will no doubt be refering to it for build inspiration for my own build this winter. Great method for canopy forming which has solved a canopy refit for a cracked one I have right now! Keep up the great threads. Will be watching. Jim Holland
isoar99 is offline Find More Posts by isoar99