HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2012, 09:59 PM
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Mar 2011
526 Posts
Discussion
Hokusei 55" Sbach

Has anyone flown 1? Looking for a 50+" sized 3D mono-winged plane. Currently flying a PA Addiction, Ultimate AMR. Flown a few Eflite "3D" planes and currently finishing up a Sebart Pitts Python.

Was eyeing a 3dhs 59" Slick or 58" Edge. I think the Hokusei is smaller.

Vincent
vhuang168 is online now Find More Posts by vhuang168
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2012, 07:07 AM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,555 Posts
Haven't seen that one, but have you seen the 18% Pilot Sbach from Chief? It's in your size range..
Chuck is online now Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Jan 21, 2012, 08:12 AM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,592 Posts
Have you considered the 51'' slick from 3dhs, I have it and it has to be the best plane I own.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:32 AM
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Mar 2011
526 Posts
Guy at our field just bought 1 (Pilot Sbach). I would like to see it fly 1st though n I haven't heard much about it either.

The 51" Slick I'm familiar with. Just like the Sbach look a little better. But that is my backup plane to buy if I can't decide on an Sbach
vhuang168 is online now Find More Posts by vhuang168
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:28 PM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Been wanting a 48-60" balsa Sbach (thunderbolt pattern) for a while now, but have been leery of the other offerings. Either I didn't like the color pattern (Sebart Sebach) or the flight reports have been less than impressive (PilotRC 18%). So, I decided to take a chance on this one. The youtube videos seemed OK, and I have been generally impressed by the Hokusei EPP planes I have.

Build: It would help if the instructions were in english, but no such luck. If you're used to building 3DHS or EF planes, read and heed - DO NOT put thin CA on the motor box at the start. It is meant to telescope out to get your motor to the front of the cowl. I did this and had to use debonder to free it back up. Also, DO NOT mount your motor so the shaft is in the center of the cutout in the motor mount. The best thing to do is place the motor on the motor mount so it's free to move. Hold the plane nose up with the cowl and canopy on and mated and slide the motor so it's centered on the cowl opening. Then drill your holes in the motor mount for that motor position. Looking through the Japanese or Chinese instructions, I saw some additional pages that seem to warn you about this issue. The wing is also meant to more forward and back a little to get your CG - so don't thin CA that part of the fuse either. Once you have everything put together to where the CG is right with your intended battery and components, then you can apply thin CA to lock the motor box and wing tube sleeve in place.

Flight: This is a nice flying plane with no real bad tendencies that I could spot in my first 6 batteries. I am at the heavier end of the spectrum with my build - coming in at about 77-80 oz AUW. I have a big motor that I was using for my 59" AJ Slick (Motrofly 3620-750) and 100A Castle ICE ESC, which is probably a few oz more than what's recommended. I had to put the batteries at the wing tube to get the recommended CG. Here's the vid of my maiden - I'm still learning how to 3D (been at it less than a year), so any flaws you see are probably due to me more than the plane. All in all, I finally have a nice flying balsa Sbach 342.

Maiden - Hokusei 55" Sbach 342 EV (5 min 28 sec)
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:43 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
hokusei foam reviews were quite nice, no? i would love to hear more about this plane... especially if i will soon free a cheapy 57" sc setup.....
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:45 AM
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
The in-house Hokusei 47" EPP Sbach 342 HV flies great - been using this plane a lot recently. I also have their 39" EPP Sbach 342 BX, which is build for them by Skywing - also flies great, but is not as good in the wind.

The 55" Sbach 342 EV, in my limited flights so far, is a good Sbach to get if you want an Sbach. On the maiden, I spent only a few seconds trimming (needed very little), and then was off and tumbling and playing around. It didn't take long to be comfortable with it. It's fast and very maneuverable, plus it looks great. However, if you're going for a top performing 3D plane in the 50-65" range, you can probably do better with a 3DHS or EF plane that suits your flying style. IMHO, it isn't as stable as my 59" AJ Slick or my 64" EF MXS (which is the best performing plane I have at the moment). Of course, it could be just due to the size difference, and I'm still getting a feel for the plane. I may change my mind when I get more used to it. Regardless, I wanted an Sbach and I'm happy to have this one.

Your 57" SC gear should do well here. I used left over gear from my other ~60" planes when I upgraded them (the Motrofly motor I mentioned and the Hitec HS-5245MG servos).
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:51 AM
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
The landing gear structure on this plane isn't very strong. I had an admittedly hard landing on asphalt (but nothing my other 3DHS or EF planes can't take) - the gear folded back and the plane slid for about 15 ft on its belly and tail wheel. No other damage than scratches to the cowl (the covering wasn't even scratched), so it wasn't that hard of a landing.

It needs some reinforcement besides the balsa sheathing and ply formers that hold the carbon fiber plate - it would be good to have carbon fiber tubes through it with formers on either side of the ones holding the gear plate like the 3DHS and EF planes do.