SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 27, 2011, 07:02 PM
R/C Plane Enthusiast
United Kingdom, Camberley
Joined Sep 2011
18 Posts
Help!
Hobbyzone Mini Super Cub

(Apologies if i have posted in the incorrect forum.)

Im after a little help with my Hobbyzone Mini Super Cub. This is my first plane jumping from the likes of nitro cars (whole new game, eh!) so my knowledge is slim and none..

Recently I flew my plane in mild winds and it eventualy got carried away into a tree. After some vigorous tree shaking i got it down, all seem'd well with servo's responding and not a scratch anywhere. Today i went to fly and during my pre-flight checks i noticed that suddenly the elevator servo is not responding in any way. However, the rudder is.

Would anyone happen to know what might be damaged or glitched?

Any help would be really appreciated! I've only flown this thing 2-3 times
Tricky Tris is offline Find More Posts by Tricky Tris
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2011, 07:19 PM
The Guitarist
Texas
Joined Jul 2005
59 Posts
I don't know about the electronics in those but did you check to see that the servo is still plugged into the receiver? it could have been loose but still making a connection and the when you moved it it came all the way down.
psecody is offline Find More Posts by psecody
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:42 PM
Australia, SA, Parafield
Joined Oct 2009
314 Posts
servo coming unplugged is what you should be hoping for because its an easy fix.
Other than that the servo could have burnt out while it was in the tree - if the servo is trying to centre the elevator, and a tree branch is trying to pull it up or down, I don't think it would take too long for the servo motor to burn out.

Try hooking the servo up to the other channel, that will at least tell you if its the servo or the radio. A word of advice though, use some epoxy or thick CA to secure the servo wires to the plug that goes into the radio. The connectors are quite flimsy, and the wires can easily be ripped from the plugs.
Dillzio is offline Find More Posts by Dillzio
Old Sep 28, 2011, 06:27 AM
R/C Plane Enthusiast
Joined Sep 2011
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psecody View Post
I don't know about the electronics in those but did you check to see that the servo is still plugged into the receiver? it could have been loose but still making a connection and the when you moved it it came all the way down.
Surely if a connection was loose I would have no servo response at all? Not just two of the three channels working..?

When I get home I will certainly take a closer look and take out the electrics, it's all very tightly fitted so no room to get my fingers near anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillzio View Post
servo coming unplugged is what you should be hoping for because its an easy fix.
Other than that the servo could have burnt out while it was in the tree - if the servo is trying to centre the elevator, and a tree branch is trying to pull it up or down, I don't think it would take too long for the servo motor to burn out.

Try hooking the servo up to the other channel, that will at least tell you if its the servo or the radio. A word of advice though, use some epoxy or thick CA to secure the servo wires to the plug that goes into the radio. The connectors are quite flimsy, and the wires can easily be ripped from the plugs.
Indeed! Iím hoping it is just a loose connection, I'll be gutted if its burnt out after three flights! I will have a proper go at it this afternoon and post how I got on!

Once I have removed the electrics, which are seriously glued in, can anyone recommend glue i should use to secure it back in after?

One word of advice to anyone thinking of buying one of these.. Avoid using ACT at all costs. It may help on your very first flight but when manoeuvring it just causes more problems than it solves. E.g. Turning circles the size of a football field.

Thanks for your quick & helpful responses!!
Old Sep 28, 2011, 07:01 AM
Australia, SA, Parafield
Joined Oct 2009
314 Posts
im more familiar with the full sized HZ super cub than its little brother, but I'd think you shouldn't need to take out any glued components just to do the tests we've described.

If you do need to reglue the servos, white caulking sealer works well because it binds strong enough, but not so strong it's difficult to remove later on. I think it's actually the same stuff they use to glue the servos and firewall to the plane.

Otherwise you can secure it with a couple of tiny drops of CA glue (superglue). Just make sure you only glue the sides of the servo, that way you can get a blade down there to break the glue joint if you need to.
Dillzio is offline Find More Posts by Dillzio
Old Sep 28, 2011, 07:22 AM
R/C Plane Enthusiast
Joined Sep 2011
18 Posts
Thanks for the glue advice

The only reason Im wanting to take the electrics out is that all the plugs are "hidden away". See the picture below. This is exactly how mine looks, tightly pre-fitted all-in-one servos etc. I assume all connections will be on the back, as afterall its got to be hassells for a RTF plane.

Note: Servo not responding is the bottom one in pic.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:15 AM
An Ordinary User
United States, VA, Fluvanna
Joined Jan 2011
1,224 Posts
[QUOTE=Tricky Tris;19439590
Recently I flew my plane in mild winds and it eventualy got carried away into a tree. After some vigorous tree shaking i got it down, all seem'd well with servo's responding and not a scratch anywhere. Today i went to fly and during my pre-flight checks i noticed that suddenly the elevator servo is not responding in any way. However, the rudder is.

Would anyone happen to know what might be damaged or glitched?
([/QUOTE]

The MSC has a brick in it, similar to the Ultra Micros. Most likely the elevator servo gear was stripped out or is bound up. You can try turning the larger gear manually to see if it turns at all. Have the battery connected and Transmitter on and leave the wing off. Move the elevator stick up and down to see if the servo gear is moving or not. If not, then it's damaged. If the gear turns but the elevator doesn't move, check the pushrod.

You may have to replace the brick. They cost $30. You have to get the one that matches your Transmitter so be careful. Each MSC transmitter has a sticker on it with a Ch (channel) number. Get a brick with the same Ch number.

Getting the brick is easy. Installing it is not.

Installing it involves detaching the control rods, removing the ACT sensors and desoldering the motor wires from the original brick. Then solder the motor wires to the new brick. This has to be done very carefully or you will ruin it. Reattach the control rods and if you want ACT, reconnect the light sensors.

It is FAR easier to buy the whole fuselage with motor/brick/control rods/ACT for $10 more ($40) + tail assembly ($10) and use your original prop, main wing, landing gear, and transmitter. Again, you have to take care to get the fuselage with the appropriate receiver for your transmitter.

SB
GooberSB is offline Find More Posts by GooberSB
Old Sep 30, 2011, 05:18 AM
R/C Plane Enthusiast
Joined Sep 2011
18 Posts
Well, from what I can tell without taking the plane apart everything is plugged in properley.

I think the servo may have indeed died/burnt out while sitting in that tree.

I attempted to move the servo by hand, the gears/cogs turn fine but the pushrod seem's jammed. I literally cant move it for love nor money! I'm going to strip the plane down this afternoon and reassemble it all in the hope that its just dust/dirt stopping the pushrod from moving. I've literally got nothing to lose at this point so at least figuring out how its all put together will be good experience.

I will never be flying with "Anti-Crash Technology" again. It seem's to cause more trouble than it solves. That said, If I replace the brick will i have to re-attach the ACT sensors?

If I fail to get it working I think I'll just get a new 4CH Super Cub or something similar.

Thanks for everyones help!
Old Oct 03, 2011, 04:49 AM
R/C Plane Enthusiast
Joined Sep 2011
18 Posts
Thought I'd give people an update on the situation incase anyone searching the forums has the same problem.

The hobby shop did not know what was wrong with my servo, it had no signs of burning out or any physical damage, so they put it down to an all-round electrical fault within the brick.

I've now purchased my second Mini Super Cub. Yesterday was its maiden flight WITHOUT "Anti-Crash Technology" on. What a difference!! It actualy flies like a plane and follows my input!

My two cents for any "newbie" pilot is to fly and land your super cub with ACT on a handful of times then turn it off as soon as possible. Honestly, it makes such a difference and more enjoyable experience.

Thanks to all those who contributed with advice, though on this occasion it did not solve the problem it certainly pushed me in the right direction.

Thanks!
Old Oct 03, 2011, 10:22 PM
An Ordinary User
United States, VA, Fluvanna
Joined Jan 2011
1,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky Tris View Post
Thought I'd give people an update on the situation incase anyone searching the forums has the same problem.

My two cents for any "newbie" pilot is to fly and land your super cub with ACT on a handful of times then turn it off as soon as possible. Honestly, it makes such a difference and more enjoyable experience.
Thanks for the update. Glad you got another one instead of trying to swap the brick out.

I don't know if I agree about the handful of time having ACT "on". We were crashing even from hand launches. It would get about 10-15 ft up and cut the motor off while in a climb. The ACT does this if it thinks the plane is in a dive so that it can level out on it's own before giving power back to the motor. Of course, 10 ft off the ground isn't highe enough for this to happen...

After a lot of "What just happened?" moments, I pulled the sensors out. Why, you ask. Because the MSC transmitter, like the UMs from Parkzone and Hobbyzone, has dual rates. When the light is solid, ACT is on and the rates are on LOW. Press the stick in and ACT turns off and the rates go to HIGH. The only way to learn with this plane is to disable ACT by disconnecting the sensors and use low rates.

SB
GooberSB is offline Find More Posts by GooberSB
Old Dec 10, 2011, 07:20 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
glad all worked out.

lookingto get one to, I already own achamp, and I as well the Super cub. ithink I should hve gone this route vs the bigger. Eather way I am happy.

How long a flight does the mini get, and can a bigger batt be added larger cap? what type is it thesame as the super or a otal different bread. thanks
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)