SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:09 PM
Salt Lake City Intl, Utah, United States
Joined Jul 2004
29 Posts
building a raptor 50 gasser

I have a new raptor 50v2se with a new go-engine .56 gasser. I am setting it up and i know i need to switch out the silicone fuel line but i am not sure on the 2 fuel tanks (Header and Main) if i need new fuel clunks? Do i need to replace the fuel tank bungs or can i use the stock ones? Can i run a silicone exhaust deflector? Thanks
raptorhelis is offline Find More Posts by raptorhelis
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:31 AM
USA, IN, Commiskey
Joined Oct 2007
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorhelis View Post
I have a new raptor 50v2se with a new go-engine .56 gasser. I am setting it up and i know i need to switch out the silicone fuel line but i am not sure on the 2 fuel tanks (Header and Main) if i need new fuel clunks? Do i need to replace the fuel tank bungs or can i use the stock ones? Can i run a silicone exhaust deflector? Thanks
You will not need the header tank. This engine runs a long time on the main. My tank still has the stock bung in it, no problem so far. I am running a silicone exhaust deflector. Mine is running good but a little on the hot end of the scale. I an running it easy. Don't know how to do smack.
Good luck with your heli and keep us informed.
mac2286 is offline Find More Posts by mac2286
Old Aug 29, 2014, 09:08 AM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,728 Posts
My gut feeling says that if silicone tubing will not hold gasoline, then the silicone bung-tube will not either.

So I would suggest to at least change it for the black Neoprene or similar.

Tygon bung-tube is probably too stiff for aerobatics.

Just a gut-feeling, no experience from my side (have a few gassers, but do not do aerobatics).

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is online now Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old Sep 06, 2014, 10:31 PM
USA, IN, Commiskey
Joined Oct 2007
148 Posts
A little update. We have a Raptor 30 gasser. Just about have all the bugs worked out of it now. Put another tank through it today. Leaned it out to where it is going to run for a while. It flies just like it did before I removed the OS37, but with more power. I am not a 3D pilot, not even a good sport pilot, but it is a great little gasser. It doesn't fly like my 700 Helibug. Not heavy. just like it had a nitro engine in it. I like the sound better with the gas.
I got an email from a guy in Utah that has one of the Go engines in a Raptor 50 running 550 blades and it is doing good for him also. I have a little over a gallon through mine and I think we have finally got a workable small gas engine for our helicopters.

Jimmy
Old Sep 07, 2014, 12:33 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,728 Posts
Any comments on the running behaviour? Is it well mannered like the OS 37 as for decent idle, ease of adjustment and transition from idle to working RPM, and more important: down again (thinking Autorotations and bailouts here)?

Did you find time to compare this engine with the HobbyKing Rotorstar .50 engine?

I am very curious, but it is really good to hear, that the gasser runs OK.

Brgds, Bert
Old Sep 07, 2014, 07:58 PM
USA, IN, Commiskey
Joined Oct 2007
148 Posts
It runs quite well. It is a little sensitive to adjust, but not as much as the glow engines I tried running on gas. It will idle all day long, I let it set and idle one complete tank just to see if it would do it. I was afraid the battery was going to go dead it ran so long. The transition from idle to flying RPM is just like the OS. The back down on mine is a little slower but it never quits.
We will have to see how it does long term. So far looks like it is going to work as wanted.
I found the problem I was having with the tail. I was running HV servos on everything except the tail and forgot. Burned up a good servo.
I have not ordered one of the HK rotorstar 56 engines yet. Will do that soon. They were out of stock the last time I looked.
Old Sep 08, 2014, 02:03 AM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,728 Posts
It all sounds VERY promising....

Thanks for keeping us posted, curious about the Rotorstar....

Brgds, Bert