HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2012, 11:37 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy42 View Post
...The difference is that the Spektrum solution eliminates the option to use your own superior charging solution. I have never used the charger that has come with my transmitters (until I got the DX8)...
It doesn't do anything of the kind. All you have to do is unplug your battery and connect to your own charger as you have always done. If you don't like repeatedly disconnecting from the Tx solder on a charge lead or make an adapter with charge lead. You do solder don't you?
Turner2 is online now Find More Posts by Turner2
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2012, 11:57 PM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner2 View Post
It doesn't do anything of the kind. All you have to do is unplug your battery and connect to your own charger as you have always done. If you don't like repeatedly disconnecting from the Tx solder on a charge lead or make an adapter with charge lead. You do solder don't you?
Yes - a work around for a flawed design. The Spektrum system provides no significant advantages while being a hindrance.
grumpy42 is offline Find More Posts by grumpy42
Last edited by grumpy42; Apr 05, 2012 at 12:04 AM.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 12:06 AM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,522 Posts
It does have one advantage. You can install an appropriate LiPo and have a near idiot proof system.
Turner2 is online now Find More Posts by Turner2
Old Apr 05, 2012, 12:17 AM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
854 Posts
Quote:
It does have one advantage. You can install an appropriate LiPo and have a near idiot proof system.
Exactly, Spektrum created an obviously flawed system that can be "fixed" with $70 upgrade. The DX8 will run 15h+ with the NiMH. If the NiMH were not inconvenient to use or prone to failure (due to the poor charge system) there would not be much incentive to purchase the overpriced lipo.
grumpy42 is offline Find More Posts by grumpy42
Old Apr 05, 2012, 12:27 AM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by monjo View Post
Wow... over 100 posts today. I thought we had a new release.
Spring Break
Kids are all out of school and apparently dont have anything better to do.
Sad isnt it?
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Apr 05, 2012, 02:27 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2010
753 Posts
So the only real response here is based purely on ad hominem it seems, usually a clear sign that you have no real reply.

Nobody here is saying they are incapable of coping with the inferior charging mechanism, they just wish they didn't have to.

There was a time when I could read paper-tape and punch cards with the naked eye and my helicopter had a mechanical rate gyro (yes, I'm clearly not a kid), it didn't mean that I considered people who preferred to type at a VDU as somehow lacking, I just gave up my arcane skill willingly and moved on with the new tech.

Similarly I was happy to fly with an electronic heading-hold gyro and consign the spinning lump of metal to the graveyard without a backward glance.

This isn't about a lack of skill or an inability to cope, it is purely and simply about a deficient design in a new radio which in other respects works just fine.

If we didn't care about the radio we wouldn't waste time debating it here.

The way some are responding here makes it look like we just insulted your wife and called your kids stupid.

I can't see how you can claim that this couldn't have been done better.

Is it a fatal flaw? No of course not, but it is a continual irritation that could have been avoided.

Coping with the problem is not hard, the point is we should not have to 'cope'.

Now if the the only response you have is more insults you'll need to accept you've lost the debate.

If you want to respond with an explanation of why the approach that has been taken is a good idea and not a retrograde step then I'm waiting to hear all about it.
Telrin is offline Find More Posts by Telrin
Old Apr 05, 2012, 03:12 AM
Joined Oct 2010
21 Posts
If this is the only problem: it must be a good radio

I see lots of pages, all covering ONE topic only: "Charging and dead horses".

If this is the only problem, that needs to be discussed, I think we all have a real good radio.

My personal opinion:
1) I am quite happy with my DX8.
2) And with the service too.

And I feel a little bit sad, that this forum gives the impression, that the DX8 is full of problems.
It is NOT. In our club we have several DX8, all working fine.

Martin
Martin.Pruefer is offline Find More Posts by Martin.Pruefer
Old Apr 05, 2012, 03:51 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2010
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin.Pruefer View Post
And I feel a little bit sad, that this forum gives the impression, that the DX8 is full of problems.
It is NOT. In our club we have several DX8, all working fine.
When a thread gets to 1000 pages you are going to get a few that focus on particular issues

I think it is clear that there are extremely few issues now and yes, in large part, what is left are not 'major' issues at all, just irritations.

Some would prefer to believe there are no issues at all, but it would be a disservice to new buyers to gloss over what is left rather than let them decide if it is a big or small problem for them.

Right now I'd say that there are no big problems left (except possibly the Mix1 bug, but once you know about it you can avoid it) and have not been for some time now.
Telrin is offline Find More Posts by Telrin
Old Apr 05, 2012, 04:37 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest View Post
How do you know they're small nozzles? The diesel nozzles are only slightly larger than the gasoline ones. Just larger enough so they won't fit in the fuel hole in modern cars and trucks. A diesel nozzle will easily fit in any fuel container.

The reason this all came up was because I specifically asked my buddy when he got fuel at his convenience store how many people he sees weekly that accidentally put diesel in there gas cars. He said "none". He then explained and showed me the difference. He did say he saw a few people put gas in a diesel vehicle though! LOL.

link
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-e...n-unleaded.htm
Pump #1 has the small nozzle, the rest are all larger. next time I am there I will see if it fits my van.

VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 05, 2012, 04:40 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telrin View Post
When a thread gets to 1000 pages you are going to get a few that focus on particular issues

I think it is clear that there are extremely few issues now and yes, in large part, what is left are not 'major' issues at all, just irritations.

Some would prefer to believe there are no issues at all, but it would be a disservice to new buyers to gloss over what is left rather than let them decide if it is a big or small problem for them.

Right now I'd say that there are no big problems left (except possibly the Mix1 bug, but once you know about it you can avoid it) and have not been for some time now.
Unfortunately I'm not sure this is the case, that there are no big issues. I waited sometime before I got my DX8 so as to hopefully avoid the initial issues, and finally got my radio when the 2 Rx offer came out. These supposedly had all existing issues at that time resolved (vibration alarm, gimbals, etc). However it turns out now I have the vibration alarm issue affecting the channel outputs, plus one of the trims works sporadically. So it seems that issues thought fixed still manage to show up even in newer batches, so really it is luck of the draw on if you get a good one or not. Again it comes back to poor quality control it would appear.

The problem with this thread is we have a lot of people on the extremes – the fanboys that will claim everything is perfect no matter what problems there may be or features that should be there, and the other extreme of haters and trolls that just want to slam the radio at all cost and flame the wars in the thread for their own amusement. Somewhere in the middle is the truth. The DX8 is an ice radio but is not perfect, it has quality control issues on top of some suspect design decisions and some features that are less than intuitive. Some things could easily be made better through firmware updates, however at this point those seem few and far between and as a company Spektrum seems more focused on pushing new products than improving existing ones. Hopefully this will change but the current release schedule we have seen doesn’t give me a lot of hope. I can live with the feature set as is as that was what I bought, although Spektrum implied ongoing improvements, but it is the hardware quality issues that concern me as it leaves the user with a radio they cannot fully trust. Great radio for the price, but nagged by quality control problems.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 05, 2012, 06:05 AM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
Hm, I reckon you mean "precedent."

Well, I think it's time to put you on the ignore list. It's my own fault for thinking I could try reason.

No need for assumptions regarding your contentions, nor did I "assume" anything about you, your character, your "experience" or anything else-I simply made rational inferences from your own postings.

Have a good one.
Wow, resorting to spelling corrections, and threatening legal action. Thats a first for brand loyalty! I've always said Spek marketers are genius'. They've done their job well with you Jon Swift.

Thanks for putting me on ignore. We'll see if you stick with it.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old Apr 05, 2012, 06:06 AM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Joined Jan 2011
1,359 Posts
I'm surprised you "NiMh Charging freaks" haven't suggested a very simple solution. Put a Software based timer in the DX8 charge circuit. Make the length of time User selectable between 1 and 4 hours. Personally, I get into the Airplane Hobby room about once a day, and usually check the voltage read-out. If I see it is below or at 5.4v I plug in the charger (I have an old Radio Shack timer that I spin to 60 minutes since I suffer from that old timer CRS problem). Next day, I'll check and it will say 5.7v for a second and then bounce to 5.8v. Seems to me if the timer chip was inside the Tx, everybody would find something else to b itch about. I did toast a cell on the original pack when I left it on charge overnight two nights in a row, but I freely admit that I breezed past the charging instructions on page 2 of the manual. Now I have the Sanyo Eneloop NiMh batteries, and the HK lipo is on order.

Pleeeease can we move on to a different topic for this thread? Here's my question. Can one of you Rocket Scientists come up with better verbage for the Manual to explain (pick one from the following The Trainer assignment - not all Slave boxes are the same, Flight Pack voltage measurement/alarms - Flight pack is an Electric plane term, Telemetry sensors, explain the 3 G axis read out, Mixing and assigning switches.

Ponder this, I want to assign the Rudder to nearly full left, Elevator to full down, and Throttle to 15% with aileron cranked 50% left, and I want the surfaces to SNAP to these settings when I press the Bind/Trainer button, but only when the F1 switch is enabled (in the 1 position). Can this be done without a degree in Programming?

BTW, the SNAP condition described, if done while the plane is ascending vertically at full throttle, should produce a nice Lomcevik where the butt goes over the nose and the plane starts to tumble forward. On a good day I could get one complete tumble, never been able to get 2, but that's probably more due to the plane's CG than anything else.

KKKKFL
Franco2fly is offline Find More Posts by Franco2fly
Old Apr 05, 2012, 06:08 AM
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Correct. Thats why the Lipo should have been the stock battery.(and was probably designed that way initially)
Old Apr 05, 2012, 06:11 AM
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telrin View Post
So the only real response here is based purely on ad hominem it seems, usually a clear sign that you have no real reply.

Nobody here is saying they are incapable of coping with the inferior charging mechanism, they just wish they didn't have to.

There was a time when I could read paper-tape and punch cards with the naked eye and my helicopter had a mechanical rate gyro (yes, I'm clearly not a kid), it didn't mean that I considered people who preferred to type at a VDU as somehow lacking, I just gave up my arcane skill willingly and moved on with the new tech.

Similarly I was happy to fly with an electronic heading-hold gyro and consign the spinning lump of metal to the graveyard without a backward glance.

This isn't about a lack of skill or an inability to cope, it is purely and simply about a deficient design in a new radio which in other respects works just fine.

If we didn't care about the radio we wouldn't waste time debating it here.

The way some are responding here makes it look like we just insulted your wife and called your kids stupid.

I can't see how you can claim that this couldn't have been done better.

Is it a fatal flaw? No of course not, but it is a continual irritation that could have been avoided.

Coping with the problem is not hard, the point is we should not have to 'cope'.

Now if the the only response you have is more insults you'll need to accept you've lost the debate.

If you want to respond with an explanation of why the approach that has been taken is a good idea and not a retrograde step then I'm waiting to hear all about it.
Well said. Best post in pages.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 06:14 AM
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
Pump #1 has the small nozzle, the rest are all larger. next time I am there I will see if it fits my van.

VP
Wow, if thats the case, I'm sure there are more than a few people who have filled a gas car/truck with diesel.