HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:31 AM
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
A few years ago I did find this extremely rare Danish-made Thorning-Bensen. It was in very good working order with nice compression but missing the fueltank. In between other things I decided it was time to make a repro tank for it and a spinner as well, the latter part will receive the two slots machined next monday when another part can be taken off the mill. Serial number of this engine is A2059 and I was told it dates from 1945.
Forgot to ask espescially them windy northern coasts if the engine originally was more polished ? The tank will get a better colour within years, copper goes a little faster. A nightmare in the restorers world, that aged period colour.
Did experiment alot with products. I should buy finally buy myself a tumbler. OK on the polishing front. But where to put that new apparatus ?
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:48 AM
Bill Mohrbacher, MECA Fox Guy
G WILLIE's Avatar
Beaver Falls, PA
Joined Dec 2006
656 Posts
VA Miniature Diesel Engines

I'm trying to find out when this little Micro Diesel was made and who sold it.
G WILLIE is offline Find More Posts by G WILLIE
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:13 AM
Registered User
Gluehand's Avatar
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
Forgot to ask espescially them windy northern coasts if the engine originally was more polished ? The tank will get a better colour within years, copper goes a little faster. A nightmare in the restorers world, that aged period colour.
Did experiment alot with products. I should buy finally buy myself a tumbler. OK on the polishing front. But where to put that new apparatus ?
Any Danish readers here, able to bring some light...?

The key question is whether the original tank was cast or turned...?...I think it was a casting....
Here is a photo from an auction, of what appears to be a non-tinkered, original TB... The tank does indeed look like a casting, i.e. the finish is similar to what's seen on the rest of the engine....not too easy to imitate, as this is no longer an "ageing" issue....

.
Info on emulating various aluminium surfaces seems to be scarce....maybe alu is too "new" in our history...
There's much more expertise to find on treatment of bronze axes, medevial steel swords, etc....

.
Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Last edited by Gluehand; Nov 25, 2012 at 10:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:22 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
brokenenglish's Avatar
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G WILLIE View Post
I'm trying to find out when this little Micro Diesel was made and who sold it.
Bill, The VA diesels were made in St Petersburg, Russia, around the mid to late nineties. I sold a few in France. In the US, they were sold by Neville Palmer in NY, and I think David Owen probably sold some in Oz.
I think the operation was originally initiated by Dave Banks, in the UK, who organized the Russian manufacture of Mills diesels, initially in 0.25cc and 0.4cc sizes, then a half size ED Bee, then a tiny 0.36cc replica of the Elfin 1.8, then a Kalper, then a small Micro (your question), and maybe others. These often come up on eBay as "Dave Banks" engines, as Dave marketed them properly with a nice box and papers, etc. replica.
I still have the tiny Elfin, which is a great performer.
Brian
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:58 PM
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluehand View Post
Any Danish readers here, able to bring some light...?

The key question is whether the original tank was cast or turned...?...I think it was a casting....
Here is a photo from an auction, of what appears to be a non-tinkered, original TB... The tank does indeed look like a casting, i.e. the finish is similar to what's seen on the rest of the engine....not too easy to imitate, as this is no longer an "ageing" issue....

.
Info on emulating various aluminium surfaces seems to be scarce....maybe alu is too "new" in our history...
There's much more expertise to find on treatment of bronze axes, medevial steel swords, etc....

.
Definitely a casting indeed. Notice the filler knob, probably a screw-in copper unit. Glass blasting gives a more matte finish of course. Yes not easy like I said. Thanks for the picture. Had seen it before.
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:43 PM
Bill Mohrbacher, MECA Fox Guy
G WILLIE's Avatar
Beaver Falls, PA
Joined Dec 2006
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
Bill, The VA diesels were made in St Petersburg, Russia, around the mid to late nineties. I sold a few in France. In the US, they were sold by Neville Palmer in NY, and I think David Owen probably sold some in Oz.
I think the operation was originally initiated by Dave Banks, in the UK, who organized the Russian manufacture of Mills diesels, initially in 0.25cc and 0.4cc sizes, then a half size ED Bee, then a tiny 0.36cc replica of the Elfin 1.8, then a Kalper, then a small Micro (your question), and maybe others. These often come up on eBay as "Dave Banks" engines, as Dave marketed them properly with a nice box and papers, etc. replica.
I still have the tiny Elfin, which is a great performer.
Brian
Thanks Brian, you saved me a couple evenings work!
Bill
G WILLIE is offline Find More Posts by G WILLIE
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:01 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
brokenenglish's Avatar
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,539 Posts
Bill,
I did forget one thing... I think you have a full set of MEW. I think that some time during the nineties, you should be able to find details of all that. I seem to remember that Neville Palmer wrote one, or maybe several, articles on the subject...
Brian
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:19 PM
Registered User
ColinNZ's Avatar
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Aug 2004
932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
Bill, The VA diesels were made in St Petersburg, Russia, around the mid to late nineties. I sold a few in France. In the US, they were sold by Neville Palmer in NY, and I think David Owen probably sold some in Oz.
I think the operation was originally initiated by Dave Banks, in the UK, who organized the Russian manufacture of Mills diesels, initially in 0.25cc and 0.4cc sizes, then a half size ED Bee, then a tiny 0.36cc replica of the Elfin 1.8, then a Kalper, then a small Micro (your question), and maybe others. These often come up on eBay as "Dave Banks" engines, as Dave marketed them properly with a nice box and papers, etc. replica.
I still have the tiny Elfin, which is a great performer.
Brian
This is the "Dave Banks" Mills 0.25 brought at Old Warden in 2003 with box and papers.
ColinNZ is offline Find More Posts by ColinNZ
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:29 PM
Registered User
downunder's Avatar
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,066 Posts
Mention of the VA engines reminded me that many years ago I'd collected some photos of them which I'd used on a (now defunct) web page but luckily are still on my computer so, for what it's worth, here they are.
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:40 PM
Bill Mohrbacher, MECA Fox Guy
G WILLIE's Avatar
Beaver Falls, PA
Joined Dec 2006
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
Bill,
I did forget one thing... I think you have a full set of MEW. I think that some time during the nineties, you should be able to find details of all that. I seem to remember that Neville Palmer wrote one, or maybe several, articles on the subject...
Brian
Unfortunately, my MEW collection only runs to March 1997
G WILLIE is offline Find More Posts by G WILLIE
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:04 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
brokenenglish's Avatar
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G WILLIE View Post
Unfortunately, my MEW collection only runs to March 1997
I'll have a look through mine a bit later today and scan anything relevant.
Looking at the posts and excellent photos above reminds me of another point.
At the beginning of this operation, I think Dave Banks sent a Mills .75 to Russia, to be copied.
Unfortunately, the "Mills" he sent was an Irvine Mills, and you can see the differences in the propnut and tank/carb assembly of the repros...
Very nice little engines though. I learned a lot (from Neville Palmer) from testing and sometimes adjusting the fits on the ones I sold.
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:39 AM
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinNZ View Post
This is the "Dave Banks" Mills 0.25 brought at Old Warden in 2003 with box and papers.
VA engines
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:42 AM
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,593 Posts
Va

Brandnew un-run VA engine think the box is up in the attic. Any offers ?
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:59 AM
Registered User
ColinNZ's Avatar
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Aug 2004
932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
VA engines
What model Mills is the one with the parallel fins.
ColinNZ is offline Find More Posts by ColinNZ
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:07 AM
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinNZ View Post
What model Mills is the one with the parallel fins.
Think it is a reduced size square case Mk1 serie's 2.
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Need help with two diesel engines ! cosmin Engines 4 Apr 18, 2014 07:18 PM
Diesel Engines Aeromister Engines 8 Sep 01, 2009 07:17 AM
WTB-Model Diesel Fuel slogo Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Nov 13, 2004 09:42 PM
scale model of engines dw1122 Life, The Universe, and Politics 2 Apr 23, 2004 05:43 AM
diesel engines wyflyer_55 Fuel Plane Talk 7 Apr 22, 2002 02:45 AM