HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2007, 07:49 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,357 Posts
Data
Cheryl Ann's sister...

Just found this neat photo set on "Highland Navigator" ex-"Shelter Island", sister to "Cheryl Ann" of the Waterfront series:
http://www.gpboats.com/Tug.htm

Has videos! With diesel sounds!
Also, whilst looking at the Youtube videos, I saw there are plenty of other work boat videos online... one has a crewboat accelerating away from an oil rig, real good engine sound on that one too.

Pat M

patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2007, 02:36 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,386 Posts
The after deck is longer than the same on the only photo of Milton Patrick I have seen. The hull looks like the plastic Cheryl Ann model, perhaps they used this tug as the prototype. The super structure looks similar, though. Thanks for the link.
photo of Milton Patrick, ie "Cheryl Ann":
http://www.stlouisadmirals.com/CherylAnn.asp
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Nov 07, 2007, 03:46 AM
Keep a Steady Strain....
Orange County, CA
Joined Nov 2007
1,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks
The after deck is longer than the same on the only photo of Milton Patrick I have seen. The hull looks like the plastic Cheryl Ann model, perhaps they used this tug as the prototype. The super structure looks similar, though. Thanks for the link.
photo of Milton Patrick, ie "Cheryl Ann":
http://www.stlouisadmirals.com/CherylAnn.asp
Brooks, both boats were identical. Unfortunately, the Milton S. Patrick was scrapped about 12 years ago.
capntroy is offline Find More Posts by capntroy
Old Nov 07, 2007, 07:28 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,752 Posts
Is this the Cap'n Troy I used to know many years back?
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Nov 07, 2007, 07:36 AM
Keep a Steady Strain....
Orange County, CA
Joined Nov 2007
1,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by der kapitan
Is this the Cap'n Troy I used to know many years back?
Is this Kapitan Kalb?? What's going on old timer?
Old Nov 07, 2007, 07:40 AM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,386 Posts
If both boats were identical, then one of the photos is mislabeled. Compare the length of the superstructure to the length of the afterdeck. The St. Louis Admiral's photo shows an afterdeck shorter than the superstructure, while Pat's photo shows an afterdeck as long as the superstructure. There is the problem of perspective, it would be nice to have broadside views of each, of course. I have read elsewhere that the model was not identical to the Patrick. To me, the model looks more like Pat's photo wrt superstructure/afterdeck proportions.

Today, we accept that a steel ship is built to the blueprints. But that was not always true for wooden hulls. Builders, to the dismay of desigers, often deviated. Chapelle says that one of the problems with comparing hulls is that unless you have data from the lines taken off the completed ship, say in drydock, you have to be cautious. He was speaking of pre-1900 ships, but I imagine the forces that lead builders to deviate back then were still present in the 1920's - lack of proper wood, lack of skilled workers, desire to save money, owner's new instructions, simple errors, etc.
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Nov 07, 2007, 07:46 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capntroy
Is this Kapitan Kalb?? What's going on old timer?
Yup, I'll get in touch soon, don't want to raid the guy's thread---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Nov 07, 2007, 08:25 AM
Keep a Steady Strain....
Orange County, CA
Joined Nov 2007
1,168 Posts
Brooks, I see what you mean about the dimensions in the 2 different photos, but the boats were indeed identical. The John N. Stewart (later Wilmington, Shelter Island, Highland Navigator) and the Milton S. Patrick (later Terminal Island) were both launched at Muller Boatyard in 1926 and have identical measurements and tonnages.
The Milton S. Patrick starred as the Cheryl Ann and they based the model on her, but it's not really an accurate model, more like the kit maker put a tugboat-like wheelhouse on a pointy fishing boat hull.
I've got original builders plans (on silk!) for both boats and they were true sisters.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 03:16 PM
Joined Jul 2013
1 Posts
Thank you for the link to pictures and videos of this tug, we had it when it was the shelter island, I have always wanted to find out where it ended up. It's such a cool tug I'm glad to see it in good condition and being used!
a_bell is offline Find More Posts by a_bell
Old Jul 27, 2013, 01:30 AM
Keep a Steady Strain....
Orange County, CA
Joined Nov 2007
1,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_bell View Post
Thank you for the link to pictures and videos of this tug, we had it when it was the shelter island, I have always wanted to find out where it ended up. It's such a cool tug I'm glad to see it in good condition and being used!
Unfortunately, I don't think she's being used much anymore, the most recent photos I saw of her, she was laying in some backwater...

When did you own the boat?
Old Jul 27, 2013, 10:34 AM
Joined Oct 2004
84 Posts
Capntroy, any chance of getting a look at those plans. Been trying to find documentation for 30 years. I heard the underbody is distictly different from traditional tug design. Would love to build a model.
Bill Zebb is offline Find More Posts by Bill Zebb
Old Jul 27, 2013, 10:51 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capntroy View Post
I've got original builders plans (on silk!) for both boats and they were true sisters.
Yes, don't just sit on such a treasure! Scan them and post them, sell them to a plans service, whatever- don't hide them though!

p.s., I have free access to a wonderful engineering scanner, hint hint nudge nudge
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Jul 27, 2013, 12:33 PM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
2,003 Posts
The hull is typical, for a wood hull of that era. The "boat in your photo", has had quite a few changes, since being built in 1926.
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Jul 27, 2013, 02:52 PM
Keep a Steady Strain....
Orange County, CA
Joined Nov 2007
1,168 Posts
Yeah, been meaning to dig them out and get some copies made, the silk is very fragile, probably should make some copies for safety...

Bill - the Milton S Patrick and John N. Stewart had typical tug hulls, a little stylized, but pretty standard.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:56 AM
Joined Oct 2004
84 Posts
Well a picture is worth a thousand words ! According to an article published in the 12/26 Pacific Motor Boat magazine concerning the two sister tugs " Their designer eliminated the round bottom tug design, and instead gave them considerable depth of hold with a good margin of deadrise, but a slack bilge in comparison with most work boat types. The design has proven its worth as the tugs are extremely easy to handle under all towing conditions, even in the worst weather. Fifteen tons of inside ballast adds to their easy riding qualities in a sea."

I know that the LA Maritime Museum has the drawings of these tugs in the William Muller collection but when I contacted them they just weren't interested in talking about getting access to them. I'am hoping one of you LA tug guys will give it a shot someday !
Bill Zebb is offline Find More Posts by Bill Zebb