Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 25, 2005, 09:30 PM
Shogun 67
Springfield, IL
Joined Dec 2004
153 Posts
Mig-29 Ub

I am currently building a Mig 29 UB in a mix of styles. I am using a lot of JETSET's style plus some 3-D influence. This plane is about the same size as JETSET's F-15 and F18. It has a 33" wingspan and is about 42" long from nose to the end of the stabs. It is set up for a flaperon wing and full flying stab. I guess you could add rudders if you needed. All up weight should end up being about 18-19 oz. As it sits in these pictures it is 11.4 oz with two servos already in the plane. I am "CAD Dysfunctional" so there are no Jetset style of plans, but it did make drawings of the parts that I can scan full size at work once I clean them up if anyone is interested. I am going to use the Russian Swifts paint scheme so that should help with the weight. I am going to glass the wings, stabs, and nose for durability. I am going to put a Hacker A20-20L and will use an APC 9-6, which is about the largest prop that will fit without changing the shape of the stabs. The plane goes together with notches, which are covered up with the doubler sheets for a relatively smooth top.
John Bright is offline Find More Posts by John Bright
Last edited by John Bright; Oct 25, 2005 at 09:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2005, 09:51 PM
Live to fly, fly to live!
New Bern, NC
Joined Dec 2003
4,338 Posts
Looks good John...I'm getting ready to start on one of these as well, also in a Jetset44 style of build.

Glad to see it can be done, and still look true to scale. Do you have any pics of the bottom?

Paul
DCobra is offline Find More Posts by DCobra
Old Oct 25, 2005, 09:53 PM
Shogun 67
Springfield, IL
Joined Dec 2004
153 Posts
Here are some of the build pics, I lost some because someone recorded over them. These pictures are before the doubler was added on the bottom to smooth it out
Old Oct 25, 2005, 10:02 PM
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined May 2004
5,077 Posts
Very nice! keep on posting, got to love it.
TBolt is online now Find More Posts by TBolt
Old Oct 25, 2005, 10:05 PM
New Bern, NC
Joined Dec 2003
4,338 Posts
Very cool! I'd sign on to build one of these from your design, but I've had my heart set on designing for the last 3-4 months waiting until after I got my F-20 design fully documented and plans released. Now I'm itching to get started on it...3 views are ready to go. I'll definitely be following your thread and looking forward to seeing your progress as well! Good choice on the Swift's scheme, thats gonna be a showstopper wherever you fly it.

For mine when it finally get's built I'm leaning towards a Blue/Gray splinter or blended camo scheme, but copying the Swifts scheme will be mighty tempting!

Good luck with it!

Paul
Old Oct 25, 2005, 10:10 PM
Shogun 67
Springfield, IL
Joined Dec 2004
153 Posts
DC I wish I had your forming skills with depron, would have been nice for the intakes/ nacelles. The scale ones twist and transition from square to oval and then round. I went and looked at two full scale Mig 29s they have in Quincy, to get a better idea, but couldn't find a easy way to build them. With your forming skills I'm sure you'll get it done right
Old Oct 25, 2005, 11:07 PM
New Bern, NC
Joined Dec 2003
4,338 Posts
Thanks for the compliment John. It's really not as hard as it would seem... just takes some trial and error when it's being designed. Once the design is set, it's much easier to duplicate than it looks.

From here, the way yours look is more than adequate and would be perfect with a sanding on the edges to give them a more rounded shape towards the exhaust cans. Honestly I don't think I'd be able to form depron/ FFF to that kind of square to oval transition...the square would end up rounded too much unless it was done as two seperate halves then butt joined together and spackled.

The only other solution I can see is to use more foam layers at the rear of the plane to get the shape closer, but that adds complication and weight right where you dont need weight, and would kill any EDF conversion.

Thanks again for the compliment, but I thought you had formed the wing root to fuselage transition by bending foam? Sure looks that way...is it doubled foam sanded to shape?

You're lucky as heck to have two full scale MiG 29's! Quincy is in MA? I've been debating buying a plastic model of the MiG-29 to use as a reference so I can get it to come out as a hybrid of the Jetset and Thomas Nelson techniques using Steve's F/A-18 and Thomas' SU-27 as references.

I think you're on the right track though! Looks great!!!

Paul
Old Oct 25, 2005, 11:21 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,602 Posts
Looking GREAT so far, John! You've done a good job of capturing the scale looks with a simple to build structure. I'll look forward to seeing how this one turns out!

Steve
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Oct 26, 2005, 05:09 AM
Tc6
Sursee, Switzerland
Joined Mar 2005
28 Posts
John, great project!
The work you have done looks realy good.
After building JETSET's F-18 and F-14 (great designs) I think the MIG-29 will be the next aircraft to build.
How have you made the transition from the leading edge to the fuselage >any close-up pictures available ?

Carlo
Tc6 is offline Find More Posts by Tc6
Old Oct 26, 2005, 09:36 AM
United States, MA, Chelmsford
Joined Jul 2000
3,421 Posts
Great job John, I have done the SU-27 in several sizes from 30-36" with a Typhoon 15/10 and they are awesome flyers. Goof Luck on the maiden.

DAF
Ralph A. D'Amelio is offline Find More Posts by Ralph A. D'Amelio
Old Oct 26, 2005, 11:10 AM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
Hi John,

GREAT Job on the Mig!!! You can use a Free PDF creator to transfer plans into a PDF Document. http://www.pdf995.com/ I know several of the guys have used it in the past with good results. I'd love to host your plans on my website when your finished. www.parkjets.com/free-plans.html
RCParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by RCParkflyer
Old Oct 26, 2005, 04:44 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3 Posts
That's funny, last days i also began a Mig 29 looking exactly yours.
I've done it with a three views plan.
Watch the pics :

It doesnt look as well as yours but this is only the beginning.
rafoo fighter is offline Find More Posts by rafoo fighter
Old Oct 26, 2005, 06:55 PM
Shogun 67
Springfield, IL
Joined Dec 2004
153 Posts
DC- The full scale Migs are in Quincy, IL. I live in Springfield, but Quincy is one of my wirecenters, and I was driving a fiber optics route when I came up to the airport and thought I 'd taken a really wrong turn. There was a whole squadron of Soviet block aircraft. Mig 25, Frogfoot, Mig 29's. I went in to check them out. They have about 23 aircraft I believe and the majority of them all fly. I think when they bought the aircraft the got the technicians also, because very few of them speak English.

Steve, thanks for the compliments, your planes are the bench mark everyone tries to meet.

TC-6, I 'll try and post all of the Pics I have with a little narrative. My pictures all come from my video camera that takes very poor quality pictures, but hey you use what you got!

Raffoo, I started with blown up three views from the Russian aircraft site everyone here uses, then changed the nose and canopy to make the UB model. Right now it is just rough sanded I still have a lot off smoothing and I need to scab on some afterburner cans on the sides of nacelles to give better definition to the motors.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 07:05 PM
Shogun 67
Springfield, IL
Joined Dec 2004
153 Posts
On this plane I tried to Murphy proof my self, no matter how hard I try I have a hard time getting a straight fuse. This one I could put it together look and then correct it by shimming or moving the notches. It is all 6 mm depron, because thats all I have. The doublers could probably be made of 3mm to save weight. It starts out as two sheets to make the wings and main body of the fuse. I used the long piece on the wings and the two short pieces on the forward and aft fuse. Even I can get these to line up!!. After cutting out the shapes and notches, I put a 1/64 lite ply plate under the bottom sides where the stab bearings go to spread the weight out to the nacelles and the rest of the aft fuse.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 07:17 PM
Shogun 67
Springfield, IL
Joined Dec 2004
153 Posts
The stab tubes are the same as Jetsets on the F-15, which I think are .157 carbon tube and a 3/16" aluminum tube. When I layed out the fuse I made a center line on the top and bottom, since you always seem to need that reference, and they would be covered up anyway. I squared off of the center line, so hopefully I would get the stabs right also, since I was working on a flat surface. I did put a 1/64' shim between the 2 stab supports to keep my v-groove level. The next picture shows the .21 carbon tube installed the same way.