HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2004, 08:58 PM
orlando fl
Joined Oct 2000
5,713 Posts
yet another combo micro fan

Plan to try out a new combo in the SMB v2, this one is a himax 2025 4200 on 5s tanic 1550, CC25 and Sbec or Kontronic jazz with a cut down vasa55 (to 50mm) in a wemo shroud. Need to check amp draw to be safe, but a short run sounded nice very smooth thru the entire RPM range. After that the same rotor with a razor 2500. Other possible setups will include the hacker B2018L on both the wemo micro rotor and then the cut down vasa on both 5s and 6s whew, that is a lot of flight testing. Should be able to try the himax tomorrow evening after the sun goes down some.
dave morris is offline Find More Posts by dave morris
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2004, 09:10 PM
go fly! no crashes!
Honolulu, HI
Joined Jun 2003
2,845 Posts
great! i'm very interested in that setup, as I have that exact motor coming back. still need to order a Razor 2500. Been looking for a heatsink. LHS here dont got much.
Synwpn is offline Find More Posts by Synwpn
Old Jun 25, 2004, 10:03 PM
Registered Rotor Abuser
Wildwood, Florida, United States
Joined Dec 2003
1,427 Posts
Sounds like a plan Dave,
now you know what my last 6 months have been like. test...fly... test .... fly.. Dave, Maybe we should start a thread just to post test setups and data in???? Instead of having it all spread around.... It would make life abit easyer... I know you've collected a bunch, as I have... As long as anyone else fills in all the blanks (no data left out) anyone could post...

What do ya say??

joe
wireit is offline Find More Posts by wireit
Last edited by wireit; Jun 25, 2004 at 10:04 PM. Reason: extra V
Old Jun 25, 2004, 10:32 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,939 Posts
Go for it. What do you guys think of the Astro 020 3T with heat sink case in a Micro fan?
Bob
bruff is offline Find More Posts by bruff
Old Jun 26, 2004, 07:03 AM
orlando fl
Joined Oct 2000
5,713 Posts
sounds like a plan to me Joe. I will need to get a tach (can't seem to find my old one after the last shop clean up) then we can post setup, power, rpm numbers.

Bob, I have an older 020 6t pylon motor, had to turn it on a lathe to get it to fit the wemo shroud. Test results were not very good on 5s and 6s (need to get into the hi power range to fit the size and weight of the motor), but I never did tach it or fly so would add it to the list Joe mentioned. KV was 3600 (at least that is what I recall). I am trying to stay with the lower KV motors these days, as it seem easier to get hi power with voltage over current.

Joe I will also try the Minx setup in the SMB again, I have traced the cause of the glitching, almost ashamed to mention it... the Tx ant was loose, making intermittant contact!!! came completly off the other day, screwed it back in and everything was fine. BTW it was loose at SEFF, I just got lucky.
Old Jun 26, 2004, 07:08 AM
Registered Rotor Abuser
Joined Dec 2003
1,427 Posts
Yikes... good to be lucky, I will be down today... you going to do some flying?
Old Jun 26, 2004, 12:58 PM
Dave Appleton
Liverpool, Great Britain (UK)
Joined May 2004
466 Posts
dave,
Do you have heatsinks for all the motors you're testing. What is the lifespan for the 5 and 6S combo's. I notice you are going to try 5 and 6S on a 4200kv himax. Would you run that through a Hacker at 4750kv heatsink or not? What RPM are you getting roughly, and can the impeller stand crazy RPM. Also is there any advantage of perhaps doubling power input in ducting which is only 100% FSA as in the case of my hawk?

Dave....
Fire42 is offline Find More Posts by Fire42
Old Jun 26, 2004, 01:26 PM
orlando fl
Joined Oct 2000
5,713 Posts
[QUOTE=Fire42]dave,
Do you have heatsinks for all the motors you're testing.
Yes always.

What is the lifespan for the 5 and 6S combo's.
The packs not stressing at all, infact the 5s 250 watt setup runs cooler than a 3s 150 watt setup. So far the motors are doing fine, bearings would be the weak link, will have to see how it goes, Joe (wireit) has been running these hi S setup longer than me, so far so good.

I notice you are going to try 5 and 6S on a 4200kv himax.

Only plan to go 5s on the himax, and only after checking the current and voltage supression, 6s would be to much I am sure.

Would you run that through a Hacker at 4750kv heatsink or not?

That would prob be too much, even if the heat sink could handle it I think you would be way over the eff range of the motor. I do run a 12L in a vasa55 on 3s2p setups (3100-4200ma pack total) with very good results, but it seems the hi volt low kv just work better. Steve Neil has run a 4s on a 12L micro, I seem to recall 350 watts, but you need a pack that can handle the current. Most packs would have to be many P just to spread the current load out over the thin Lipo tabs.

What RPM are you getting roughly,

50-55k
and can the impeller stand crazy RPM.

So far yes, the wemo is one tough little dude, but it does streach a bunch so the tip gap is large (at least when it is not spinning) The cut down vasa does not (all CF) but then again it may just explode.

Also is there any advantage of perhaps doubling power input in ducting which is only 100% FSA as in the case of my hawk?

You gain speed, kinetic energy (more speed and weight). Maybe not double the climb but def better. You have to be aware of the G loading, make sure your bird can handle it. I also run about 100% FSA (maybe a bit more), it is much more exciting with the hi power setup.
Old Jun 26, 2004, 01:56 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,563 Posts
Hi Dave,

Having a thread were the numbers are gathered together would be great. You guys have gone the extra mile and we all appreciate it.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Jun 26, 2004, 02:11 PM
orlando fl
Joined Oct 2000
5,713 Posts
Joe suggested just that, and we will post results, others of course are welcome to add to it.
Old Jun 26, 2004, 03:02 PM
orlando fl
Joined Oct 2000
5,713 Posts
forget the himax 2025 4200 cut down vasa 55 5s setup, 360 watts, 20 amps, and lousy thrust (considering the input power), did not even try to fly it (I like my cells thankyou very much) due to the hi currents and excessive voltage suppression. I already swapped it out and put in the razor 2500 wemo 5s setup, better thrust at 250 watts, 15 amps. Anyway thank goodness for my quick change out design on the SMB, took maybe 5 min, most of which is attaching the pull pull cable back to the rudder. Will try to get out the eve, waiting for the heat index to drop below 100f. I guess this proves that watts aint everything.
Old Jun 26, 2004, 03:45 PM
Registered Rotor Abuser
Joined Dec 2003
1,427 Posts
Well I just finished up the last combo I had to do for right now So, I'll post it. I use a basic format for collecting data the only thing I can't give is the after 5mins of flight for this one.... After you read this you'll see it wouldn't matter... flight may only last 5 mins.

Motor- B20 18L, Controler-CC35, Fan- Micro, Batteries-1550 Tanic, Cell count-6, Rpm-63500, Thrust-525 grams, Volts-22, Amps 19, Watts 418.... wow!!! what a Bear.

On my chart this shows were now reaching past the efficient rpm range for the micro fan. Not the end of the fan though! At 63,000 it is running very smooth without any sign of self-destruction. It's just if you've been following along you notice when compaired to the RZ2500/5s weve added 150 watts of power and increased rpm by 7500 rpm with only a slight gain in measurable thrust. It's all mounted in the minx right now and later this afternoon.... when it cools down some I'll go flyit and see how it does.

Stay tuned to the crazy rpm channel.

joe
Old Jun 26, 2004, 06:00 PM
Registered Rotor Abuser
Joined Dec 2003
1,427 Posts
I just got a quick flight in before a thunderstorm moved in. Strange results... faster, much faster than I would have thought with the relitively small increase in thrust. Makes me question my thrust reading. For two mins of flight time too the pack and motor were only a bit warmer than normal. Pack was 125/ motor was 130. This wasn't WOT the whole time. One thing I did notice was the blast out the back was hot.. the air was hot hitting my hand... damn heat sinks work. That was the first time I have ever felt warmth or heat comming off the sink in the air flow... Must be where some of the extra 150 watts went... speed wise it was from my best WAG 5 to 10 mph over what I've seen with this plane.. So, maybe the micro fan still has a little left. But for most reasonable people, I think 400 watts and 63k might be the limit. maybe for reasonable people...

joe
Old Jun 26, 2004, 06:15 PM
Adelaide,South Australia
Joined Jul 2003
1,134 Posts
Hi All,

I've collected alot of data from alot of sources over time and converted them to excel charts...mainly rpm versus load, versus thrust as it is impractical to chart every motor.

However, i'd be happy to setup a website to show this data and also specific setups from different rigs.

If i do this, and post the URL, could we perhaps have people post data to me for publication?

I can make it as a link from our skunkworx site...?

yes?, no?,...

Cheers,

Tim.
what_the?! is offline Find More Posts by what_the?!
Old Jun 26, 2004, 06:29 PM
orlando fl
Joined Oct 2000
5,713 Posts
Joe, how does it (the 18L hacker) compare at 5s to the razor 5s? Not sure I want to pound in the extra 150 watts at this point. The razor setup sure is hard to beat. I did not get a chance to go, thunder boomers scared me off, maybe tomorrow, only problem is it gets crowded on Sundays. I did pick up the #drills you suggested to drill out the adapter so I can fit the hacker in place of the himax. Did you ever try the 26L on 6s in the micro?