Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 02, 2014, 10:54 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2013
472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
Hobbico gave Carlos a new plane, gave him a new upgraded ESC, and even gave him a new Tactic radio system as a gift. All this for a defective plane he paid $89 for.

You just can't make some people happy.
Are the stock ESCs that bad? I still have a NIB MM waiting to be put together, should I upgrade the ESC immediately? I was flying a used MM for a while until it started going haywire causing it to crash beyond repair. I assumed the issue was the Orange RX I was using.
deadzone is offline Find More Posts by deadzone
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2014, 11:29 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadzone View Post
Are the stock ESCs that bad? I still have a NIB MM waiting to be put together, should I upgrade the ESC immediately? I was flying a used MM for a while until it started going haywire causing it to crash beyond repair. I assumed the issue was the Orange RX I was using.
Not all STOCK ESC's on this model are defective. My case the STOCK ESC was programmed from factory to 4-Cell operation and that's why my models power system started to pulse ON/OFF when I hit 3/4 throttle as the ESC thought my Battery was on LVC.

I would ground test yours going up all the way to 3/4 throttle for a few seconds and see if it pulses. I hope not.

Carlos

EDIT: That I know of and at the time when I investigated my issue these STOCK "Yellow" Large/Heavy ESC's are NOT programmable.
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Aug 02, 2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old Aug 02, 2014, 11:29 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbinefancy View Post
QC problems and a poorly matched prop killed the sales potential. I have been lucky, 300+ flights and my plane still looks and flies like new.
Agreed
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2014, 11:32 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
Hobbico gave Carlos a new plane, gave him a new upgraded ESC, and even gave him a new Tactic radio system as a gift. All this for a defective plane he paid $89 for.

You just can't make some people happy.
The new Upgraded SILVER SERIES ESC was at 1/2 price so, NO it was NOT FREE.

The Tactic Radio System is only a 4-Channel system (Entry Level) and I still have it in the box, big deal.

The new Plane still came with the Heavy (Large) STOCK ESC that "I" Still Don't "TRUST"
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2014, 02:55 PM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post

The Tactic Radio System is only a 4-Channel system (Entry Level) and I still have it in the box, big deal.

The new Plane still came with the Heavy (Large) STOCK ESC that "I" Still Don't "TRUST"
I have 3 stock ESC's all perform fine. Lots of them were ok, some weren't.

Your free gift was " only a 4 ch system". I suppose they should have given you a 12 ch Futaba?
dbc is online now Find More Posts by dbc
Last edited by dbc; Aug 04, 2014 at 04:59 AM.
Old Aug 02, 2014, 08:16 PM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadzone View Post
If it flipped inverted all of the sudden and piledrived into the ground - that would be the bad y cable problem. In general, I don't recommend DSM2 with an internal BEC though.

My motor gave up after 40th flights. Seized up. The ESC went into a Rare Bear that lasted maybe another 40 short flights with plenty of air. My extremely abused Eflite 30s and 60s are all well into the 200-300 flight range. My Castles are beyond those flight numbers.

Had the same crappy electronics issues with the Electrifly Gee Bee and also with a Super Tigre .10 (same crap as the MM and Gee Bee motor)

OTOH, my fellow club members have had zero issues with Tactic and many had major issues with DSM2. They call it "Spread Rectum" at my field though I stick with my trusty DX18
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Aug 02, 2014, 10:01 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
If it flipped inverted all of the sudden and piledrived into the ground - that would be the bad y cable problem. In general, I don't recommend DSM2 with an internal BEC though.

My motor gave up after 40th flights. Seized up. The ESC went into a Rare Bear that lasted maybe another 40 short flights with plenty of air. My extremely abused Eflite 30s and 60s are all well into the 200-300 flight range. My Castles are beyond those flight numbers.

Had the same crappy electronics issues with the Electrifly Gee Bee and also with a Super Tigre .10 (same crap as the MM and Gee Bee motor)

OTOH, my fellow club members have had zero issues with Tactic and many had major issues with DSM2. They call it "Spread Rectum" at my field though I stick with my trusty DX18
voxel,

I believe nothing is bullet proof. I have have some issues with Spektrum Radio gear, however, at least two have been solved as indirect issues and not necessarily the fault of Brand or manner in which they operate.

One crash (Park Zone T-28D Airforce Trojan) locked up during a Continuous knife Edge Flight and didn't response to controls and it just maintained its Knife Edge until a few seconds later the model was observed doing recovery mode in 2 second intervals and I was lucky to get it on the Asphalt Parking lot in one piece. Upon post Crash Landing inspections I discovered that the Plastic tube that the Nose Wheel Steering slides in had shrunk causing the Push Rod to get stuck and over-heating the Built-in BEC of the E-Flite 30-AMP ESC. This caused a lower than usual Voltage output towards the AR600 Receiver and understandably why it lost Bind in succession.

The other one was inserting an incorrect Bind Plug from a different Receiver Brand (Castle Creations BURG) into a brand new AR600. It bind okay and did the range check but, I recall that I had a very hard time taking out the Bind Plug out and used (Big Mistake) a pair of hobby pliers to get out the Bind Plug and caused circuit board damage. The model took off and after 80 feet it lost all control.

I have used the Tactic Receivers using the provided module that installed on the back of my older model Spektrum DX7 and had rock solid performance.

I guess what I am trying to point out "IS" that we can say that many in our RC Clubs have had issues but, not knowing all the details we can't tell if it was a result of the specific Radio brand or a setup problem.
RCG Plus Member