Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:07 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,634 Posts
Its the chain that makes a good model Great !
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:37 AM
jda
Fossil builder
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2006
436 Posts
Have gotten a little more done on the ECB. Have still not received my pkg from China for the radio installation. The boat is very light at the moment but I have access to the hold for ballast. The problems continue....... as is she will fit diagonially in the back end of the Terrain but once I put in ballast, I will have to make an offset cradle to hold her on her side. She still may end up on someone's mantle. Here's the pix. jda
jda is offline Find More Posts by jda
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:28 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,634 Posts
Man this is Really looking Great !
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:27 PM
Joined Oct 2012
9 Posts
awesome boat man!where did you get the kit?going to the doc is a pain,i just got my stitches out
motts is offline Find More Posts by motts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:03 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,275 Posts
Very nice.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:19 AM
jda
Fossil builder
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2006
436 Posts
Motts, Check out post #1. Very fortunate for me! jda
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:02 PM
Joined Oct 2012
9 Posts
thank you how big is the boat?i would like to build a squarerigger but being 12 sucks in matters of the bank
motts is offline Find More Posts by motts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:40 PM
jda
Fossil builder
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2006
436 Posts
Motts, The boat is about 40" from bowsprit to the end of the boom. It's really too big for me to handle and I haven't gotten the ballast in place as yet. It's been time for family, Thanksgiving and now getting ready for Christmas but I have a couple of pictures to post. After reviewing some of the other posts and videos of these sailing ships I could see I needed some openings in the scuppers to let water drain. Should have done this earlier before painting. To give you a better idea of how large the sail area of the mainsail is, I had to tape two sheets of poster board together to get my patterns. I'm reasonably certain I won't get to the sewing machine until after Christmas. Oh well, whose in a hurry! jda
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:08 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,634 Posts
!

JDA, this model is Really starting to looks great, that look like alot of work to so on those sails.

Looking forward to seeing her on the water next spring !
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:05 PM
Joined Oct 2006
822 Posts
sure looks purdy!!
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:43 PM
jda
Fossil builder
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2006
436 Posts
To all you faithful followers of this build...... it's over. The fellow that I bought the kit from came over today to view what I had done. Remember, he carried the kit from Mass to TN and had it for over 50 years. He had tried to work on the restoration of the Emma C at Mystic and had submitted an application for employment just to be able to have worked (at minimum wage) on such a historic boat. Well, I got the pleasure of building the model boat as per her restored status and he is now the proud owner of the model. Sold it back to him for what I paid for the kit plus $25 for the winch and rudder servo. It was a labor of love for me and he intends to build a case for the boat and use it as a static model. So she may never float and I will be a little disapointed in that respect but for me, the pleasure is still in the building. Don't know what my next project will be but I have several kits and loads of plans to chose from. Also have several sail winches on hand!!! And a nice Chedder Steam engine to put in something.... Well thanks for your comments and your many posts. They were very encouraging. jda
Old Nov 03, 2013, 11:11 AM
United States, NJ, East Hanover
Joined Jul 2013
6 Posts
Bowsprit strap attachment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jda View Post
Took a few more pictures this week. Still having some health concerns.
When you install the brass strap for the bowsprit chain I see you attach it with nails to the hull, how do you seal that so it wont leak? And I assume you went through the fiberglass layer with the nails? This will be below the water line. Nice boat.
mikes112 is offline Find More Posts by mikes112
Old Nov 03, 2013, 03:14 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2012
415 Posts
Very nice looking boat.

kind regards
Tim
TBowman is offline Find More Posts by TBowman
Old Nov 20, 2013, 01:44 PM
jda
Fossil builder
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2006
436 Posts
Gone, but not forgotten. Sorry I didn't check back sooner but I was having health concerns. As for nails into the hull, I always dip the nails in epoxy before inserting. Maybe I should have been more concerned about water leakage but I have learned (the hard way) to coat the inside of all RC boats with epoxy.

The proud owner of the Emma C has made a stand for her and is in the process of making a case for her in his den. He does not intend to sail her but rather will simply display her. He will send me additional pictures when the case is finished. Dave
Old Nov 20, 2013, 01:59 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,634 Posts
Man that looks Great !

So happy to see more work done on this one, so much planning and effort already.

Tim