Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 02, 2012, 09:43 AM
United States
Joined Jun 2011
16 Posts
Help!
DC motor to RX hook-up

hello all. How can i run a DC motor on my RX. I have an Rx with sig, +, - and i want to use a DC motor with only + and - leads...

thanks, John
creator22 is offline Find More Posts by creator22
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2012, 02:30 PM
uk
Joined Nov 2010
412 Posts
how small is the motor
traxx de maxx is offline Find More Posts by traxx de maxx
Old Mar 02, 2012, 02:31 PM
United States, CA, Pinole
Joined Jan 2009
787 Posts
Most people use an ESC ..electronic speed control....to regulate motor speed .

imgumby
imgumby is offline Find More Posts by imgumby
Old Mar 04, 2012, 01:00 PM
United States
Joined Jun 2011
16 Posts
@ Traxx. we will be using 2 old weelchair motors.

@imgumby. I would, the only thing is how to hook up a DC(two wire motor) to an ESC( three wires) what 2 wires go to what 3 wires?

TO ALL: I will also need to run a 12v car Batt. does anyone know or have a link to the right BEC i will need?
Old Mar 05, 2012, 11:17 AM
uk
Joined Nov 2010
412 Posts
the only motors that can connect to the Rx is a fan motor.
What are you building?, sounds like something good.
Hope this might help
Old Mar 05, 2012, 11:27 AM
United States
Joined Jun 2011
16 Posts
ehh yeah. not sure it really helps, but deff a good page with alot of info I will surely need one day, and good stuff to know. I am building a RC lawnmower. i hear alot of talk about a "Sabertooth" driver? i really was hopeing not to blow $125 0n it though because i still need to pay for a good deal of metalwork. thanks for the thoughts ya'll! please keep bringing the ideas!
Old Mar 05, 2012, 05:53 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by creator22 View Post
@ Traxx. we will be using 2 old weelchair motors.

@imgumby. I would, the only thing is how to hook up a DC(two wire motor) to an ESC( three wires) what 2 wires go to what 3 wires?

TO ALL: I will also need to run a 12v car Batt. does anyone know or have a link to the right BEC i will need?
What side of the ESC are you looking at that has 3 wires? If it's the motor output side, that's a brushless ESC and won't work with a brushed motor (unless it's compatible with both). If it's the receiver plug, they all have (and need) three wires.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:59 AM
United States
Joined Jun 2011
16 Posts
thanks wparons...though im not sure i undertand. the esc has + and - as well as the three leads for the RX on one side, and three leads for the brushless botor on the other end. my question was, how do i hook up a two wire motor to a three wire edc or rx?
Old Mar 06, 2012, 11:59 AM
uk
Joined Nov 2010
412 Posts
The only motor you can run from a receiver is a small fan.
The + and - is for battery connection, there is three wires on a brushless esc (electronic speed control), because a brushless motor is a 3phase AC motor.
A brushed esc has two wire output because of the brushed motor is DC.
Like wparsons says, there is some esc that is capable of running brushed and brushless set ups.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 10:39 PM
United States
Joined Jun 2011
16 Posts
Thanks! think i understand now. this isnt my first rc project, but this is unlike any other i have done befor. it seems ill need a motor driver like the sabertooth for this build. Thanks for the advice everyone, and if you ever have any engineering questions, shoot me a msg lol