HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2012, 02:18 PM
ISP Supervisor
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Jan 2006
722 Posts
This plane looks like a step up in skill level required from the Champ. The Champ is directed towards beginners and this is listed as "intermediate". Now I'm not saying a beginner couldn't handle it, just may be a bit harder as a first plane vs the Champ.

Regardless, I'm excited about this and I can forget about getting the mqx now
makg is offline Find More Posts by makg
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2012, 02:42 PM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by makg View Post
This plane looks like a step up in skill level required from the Champ. The Champ is directed towards beginners and this is listed as "intermediate". Now I'm not saying a beginner couldn't handle it, just may be a bit harder as a first plane vs the Champ.

Regardless, I'm excited about this and I can forget about getting the mqx now
+1 with your comment (except I got the MQX and can't believe how much fun I have flying it in the living room)

The price point of the $90 RTF Champ (TX included) is a far better deal than the $170 BNF (no TX) for this UMX CCub.

I will get one of these and I will use my old JR9303 DSM TX to bind to it while I use my DX8 on the new AAK-21. Then find someone at the club to be my tow pilot.

What a great time to be in this hobby... and be single.
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Feb 01, 2012, 02:52 PM
gfl
Joined Apr 2005
99 Posts
Since my only experience has been with an Ember 2 and a MCX helicopter, Im guessing this would not be a good fit for me. How long will it take to charge the batteries on this plane?
gfl is offline Find More Posts by gfl
Old Feb 01, 2012, 03:22 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
gfi, you will need to charge it from your car as you probably dont have 12v supply or hobby charger, i would suggest a bnf t-28 instead
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Feb 01, 2012, 03:33 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Wow... this is exactly what I was hoping for from them one day. I even made a post about it several months back (I'll have to see if I can find it). I'm definitely gonna pick this up with the optional floats.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 01, 2012, 03:46 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
If horizon hobby has come out with this model, what would the compitition out there have simular to this the Piper cub? or what I read so much not to get from HB

what would they be????
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Last edited by fishycomics; Feb 01, 2012 at 04:08 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 01, 2012, 03:52 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
If horizon hobby hascome out with this model, what would the compitition out there have simular to this the Piper cub? or what I read so much not to get from HB

what would they be????
What?
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 01, 2012, 04:09 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
What?
I said what would the competitor have Huh! time to put the glasses on
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 01, 2012, 04:47 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
This is going to make a lot of us Alaskan Bush pilots VERY HAPPY! I was going to get the GB but it will have to wait now. This plane seems very reasonably priced to me considering the features.

Way to go HH, THANK YOU!

Rick in Alaska
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Feb 01, 2012, 05:16 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfl View Post
I recently went into my LHS after being out of the hobby for a little while. I was looking at the Champ after reading about it here, intending to make a purchase. The salesman told me to wait until February as Horizon would be releasing a newer improved version of the Champ. He would not or could tell me any more information and I was unable to locate anything related to this on the web. Has anyone heard about an improved version being released in the near future?

I posted this question in early November, 2011 in the Champ forum. Could this be the plane the sales person was referring to or is there still something new on the horizon (pardon the pun). Im glad I waited.

The Champ is for beginner or as they say it "Teach Yourself to Fly". The Cub is currently listed as intermediate. So I don't think it will kill the Champ soon. It's a fast flyer, it's more expensive, and sadly it's a sweet plane I have to own. (Dang)
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Feb 01, 2012, 05:25 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,246 Posts
Visited my LHS at lunch hour today, he didn't know about it yet, wasn't happy that I knew before he did he got on the phone and will be carrying them! His best guess would be March at the soonest. As we all know HZ burns their dates often on new releases. I'll be getting one locally when he gets them in.
whirlcap is online now Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Feb 01, 2012, 05:44 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,569 Posts
Was out hiking with the family recently and discoved a well hidden/protected lake just a few miles from my home.
The mountain setting was gorgeous!
I've been dreaming of a sweet, full house, UMX Cub on floats ever since.
The UMX CC looks perfect Horizon!
Looking forward to a low inverted lake pass.

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2012, 06:06 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,245 Posts
gfl,

I have no idea what your LHS was thinking, or even what product they may have thought they heard about. The Carbon Cub is in NO WAY a replacement for, or even a good alternative to, the Champ. The Champ is a teach-yourself-to-fly trainer, the Carbon Cub is a sport plane. The Carbon Cub is NOT a trainer!

Being a hobby, modelers of all skill sets are going to buy whatever product interests them, and that's fine. Just be aware that if you're expecting flight characteristics like the Champ, buy the Champ. The Carbon Cub is not going to give you the same experience of self-righting stability and lazy slow flight. It gives you a lot of much more advanced capabilities that are just not appropriate for the beginning flyer.

Have fun.
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 01, 2012, 06:10 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Got my first one on order.. I say first as I'm sure I'll be getting more of these, this is my dream plane come true at last.. I'm glad I didn't get the mQX now..
Happy for ya Bob!

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2012, 06:16 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Happy for ya Bob!

rc
I just hope it's out in time for my birthday,,, Late June.. But fathers day will work OK, as well Memorial Day, Easter, Valentine Day, Ground hog day, Yesterday.. I was at the field today flying the Champ, Beast and heli's,, dreaming I was flying the F-86, Fokker Dr-1, Carbon Cub... Not a bad day for the first of February in Michigan.. Heck I was walking around outside in my bare feet.. I love global warming...

I just hope that don't pull a April Fools day trick on us..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob