Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by roscoedude, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 05, 2010, 06:23 PM
United States, OH, Cuyahoga Falls
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Simple Wing Spars

There's so many different types and ways of doing wing spars, you can get really creative with it, but for these pics I did a basic set of slotted spars and ribs, so the ribs just slip into the spars for easy alignment...
Doing it this way, you can use the TE spar for the front of the aileron cut-out, with maybe a couple of pieces of balsa glued behind the spar where the hinges attach for more grip.

Like I said, there's many other ways to do this, but I like simple and easy when doing these, so I try to show those ways first, so if you want to try some other ways, just let me know what else you might like to try.

I also have an idea of adding in the wash-out using the spars, but that'll come after the ailerons.

Peace out ,
Dean
roscoedude is offline Find More Posts by roscoedude
Last edited by roscoedude; Jun 06, 2010 at 09:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2010, 02:17 PM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
565 Posts
Looks cool and simple. I like things simple, less to go wrong

I've been busy with work now so no progress, but I'll try and catch up. I'll throw in pics when I get something done.

Cheers
Raipe
raipe is online now Find More Posts by raipe
Old Jun 17, 2010, 09:44 PM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
No problem Raipe, I've been pretty busy myself, or I would have had everything already laid out for you by now. But I did manage to play around with the fuse some, really just messing with an idea right now. As you can see, there's still a lot to do, and who knows, it could look totally different by time I post the the next shots....

Dean
Old Jun 22, 2010, 02:59 PM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
565 Posts
Wow! that is awesome

I got some time tonight so I went and played around with the ribs a little, just to see how to do it in Inventor. Are those supposed to be separate parts, the ribs, spars etc. or is it possible to make cut files if the whole wing is a solid?

I have to say, I feel like an idiot right now. I just realized that I probably should have scaled this thing up in the beginning

Raipe
Old Jun 22, 2010, 04:40 PM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Thanks... what I was thinking on the fuse, after looking at some more pics of the real one, was that from the front to the end of the canopy could be sheeted, and the top portion as a hatch, for the battery and servo access, and just stringers from there back. That way it would look pretty much like the real deal..... or not.

Quote:
I got some time tonight so I went and played around with the ribs a little, just to see how to do it in Inventor. Are those supposed to be separate parts, the ribs, spars etc. or is it possible to make cut files if the whole wing is a solid?
Cool, looking good... and yeah, after the wing is cut up, I usually save off each rib, spare, etc. to their own file and use those to make cut files from. But it is possible to make them from the single wing file.
Hmm, maybe I'll do it that way first and see if it's any easier.

Quote:
I have to say, I feel like an idiot right now. I just realized that I probably should have scaled this thing up in the beginning
What size is it now? you could just leave it as is.

Or you could try to just scale everything up to the size you want, but I have a feeling it might get a little funky on you, but hey, it's worth a try. By funky I mean that the planes used to cut it up with, probably won't scale up, or out, and you'll have to re-adjust those, and maybe tweak some sketches too, for cut-outs & stuff.

More to come soon,
Dean
Old Jun 23, 2010, 08:35 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoedude View Post
Thanks... what I was thinking on the fuse, after looking at some more pics of the real one, was that from the front to the end of the canopy could be sheeted, and the top portion as a hatch, for the battery and servo access, and just stringers from there back. That way it would look pretty much like the real deal..... or not.
OK that sounds good.

Quote:
I usually save off each rib, spare, etc. to their own file and use those to make cut files from. But it is possible to make them from the single wing file.
Hmm, maybe I'll do it that way first and see if it's any easier.
Which ever is easier I can go with either way.

Quote:
What size is it now? you could just leave it as is.
It's around 20cm in wing span. Should have scaled the 3-view up in the beginning. I'm sure that it'll get too funky if I try to scale things up at this point.

BTW. That is one interesting pic of the Myrsky you got there, I haven't seen that before. There is an extra window behind the sliding canopy. Also there's a bump just behind the cowl (maybe for a bigger gun). I'll add an image for comparison. I just got interested, gotta find out more about that.

Thanks
Raipe
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:59 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
565 Posts
OK. Had some fun with the ribs. Still lots to do but heres a peek. That is a rip off from your XP-72 wing with two cf spars and a single stringer(add an embarrassed smiley here).
The ribs will be about 55mm's apart if done like this, is that OK?

Raipe
Old Jun 23, 2010, 03:24 PM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
565 Posts
One more before going to bed

slow but steady
Raipe
Old Jun 23, 2010, 03:40 PM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raipe View Post
That is a rip off from your XP-72 wing with two cf spars and a single stringer(add an embarrassed smiley here).
The ribs will be about 55mm's apart if done like this, is that OK?

Raipe
LOL.... it is easier to do than notching all those ribs. And it will be uber strong too.

It's definitely looking good....
And with the rib spacing, you could get away with having less ribs, and space them out a little further, if you want, I think mine are 76.2mm spacing, except between the first two and the last one, which are 63.5mm (I think), but it can be whatever you want, it's one of those personal choice things... whatever works for you is what counts.

After doing a little more digging, I found out that there were 3 different versions of the Myrsky, the Proto, #1 & #2, who knows, there might be more.
But that last pic from my earlier post with the 3 windows is a #1....
Here's a few more of all of them.

Dean
Last edited by roscoedude; Jun 23, 2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 05:06 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
565 Posts
Yeap, I found out about those protos and the production version also yesterday evening. Actually I just came from the aviation museum in Tikkakoski. Bought a journal with all neat info on the Myrsky. Gotta read it this weekend since i'm away and can't do any 3D stuff. Hope I can get back at it next week.

Raipe
Old Jun 27, 2010, 03:58 PM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
565 Posts
Got home and couldn't stay off the computer. I changed the LE & TE parts a bit and made the wing tip part(pic below). The 3-view we used is of the Myrsky II, the actual production version. The I had fabric covering on the aft fuse but the II was covered with ply allover. So maybe I should sheet it all the way? (That way I don't have to learn how to iron on properly)

BTW, if I wanna sheet the whole wing should I add more stringers to it?

Raipe

ps. Added a pic of the wing with the aileron(it still needs a little tweaking though)
Last edited by raipe; Jun 27, 2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 11:15 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
565 Posts
Got the wing to a point that it actually looks like a wing. I'll try and slice up the fuse next.

Raipe
Old Jun 28, 2010, 11:32 AM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Looks good Raipe..... man, I better get moving or you'll finish before I do.

Quote:
The I had fabric covering on the aft fuse but the II was covered with ply allover. So maybe I should sheet it all the way?
Sure, I can adjust the fuse stringers accordingly.

And for sheeting the whole wing, you can leave it as is, no need for more stringers, just run the sheeting up to the stringer front & back, should be just fine.

Dean
Old Jun 29, 2010, 08:44 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
565 Posts
OK, I'll leave the wing be for now. On to the fuse then.

Raipe
Old Jun 29, 2010, 02:32 PM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
565 Posts
OK, I got the fuse started. This takes some time, not that I expected it to be quick. I was afraid that my PC would stall more but there hasn't been any issues yet(knocking on wood). Is there n easy way to line up the stringers so that they don't look like snakes slithering around the fuse?

Raipe