3,458 Posts
Discussion
RC Bike Warm Up 2015, Valencia, Spain!

An incredible Warm Up!!!

The story is 1000% true!
Read on and have a laugh!
Be prepared: Itís veeeeeeery long!
(As usual!)

Wednesday night, before leaving for the Warm Up, a few friends called and asked me and my wife to join them at a local tavern with live music. We thought it would be for a couple of hours, but we ended to get back at home around 2.30 am!
I had an one hour nap, and then left for the airport, taking my friend Vasilis on the way there. Our flight left at 6 am.
The flight was for Rome, Italy, then two hours later we should get the flight to Valencia. That was the schedule, anyway!
But you know how it goes: When people make plans, God laughs at them!
We fly to Rome, (two hours sleep on the plane. Nice!) and as soon as we land in Rome, all hell breaks loose!
Thereís a fire at an airport terminal and the whole Fumicino airport shuts down. Thousands of people, lots of bags, no shouting from anyone, everyone keeps calm, and we all ask the same question: When will we leave?
Noone knows. The airport staff tell us MAYBE the flights will start again at 2 pm.
We sit outside the terminal, and since we have all our stuff with us and plenty of time, so we upack partly and decide to fix a few things on the bikes! Meanwhile, some local tv channels shoot some video of us fixing the bikes! Itís fun!
Of course itís only for a few hours.
In the afternoon, with all flights ďcancellatoĒ, by now, the airport starts to show flights on the boards again.
(Vasilis is annoying me, right now Ėon Friday morning at the track, as I write this- his bike is not going straight. Whatís wrong with it?)
OK, letís go with the adventures!
We ask around and find that our flight to Valencia is definitely cancelled, and it would happen again on Saturday afternoon. Oops!
We speak with the Alitalia help desk using our cell phone (there will be ďfunĒ when the cellphone company bill will arrive next month!) and after a lot of persuading on our part, they put us in a flight to Madrid, thatís scheduled for 21.25pm. Actually, at first they wanted us to pay an extra 400 euros for getting us on that flight! Our plan was to somehow get to Spain, and then we will find a way to go to Valencia, somehowÖ
So, eventually, we see a new flight to Madrid, scheduled at 21.25pm. Proceed to exit C. But which one of the 18 C-exits? We will see.
We find the C-exit for Madrid, stand in the line, and as soon as we arrive at the gate, they tell us this flight is NOT ours! Weíre supposed to get on the next one, at 23.00pm!
More waitingÖ And now, thereís a plastic-burning smell all over the place, which can cause you a headache, even if you are fully well feeling!
At last, at 23.00pm, we embark the Alitalia flight to Madrid.
To be honest, Iím not sure what time it left, or what time it arrived. As soon as I sat down, I slept!
We arrive at a completely empty Madrid airport, around 3.30 I thinkÖ
We have two scenaria to choose from: Rent a car and drive into the night (Iíve got all Europe maps in my Garmin motorcycle GPS) or take a train to Valencia and sleep our way there.
We choose the latter and try the train.
We realize the train station opens at 6 am, and the first train to Valencia is at 6.45.
At 5.05 am we find a bus to the train station. We ask the driver to take us there. He is adamant: I canít take you to the train station, because it opens at 6. I canít leave you there earlier. Itís not something out of the schedule, we ask. The bus stops (during daytime normal hours) at that train station. Anyway, he passes the train station and leaves us at the next bus stop, 3 kmís down the road, in the middle of Madrid!
We ask the other people who were on the bus: Better take a taxi. Itís quite far.
We cross the street, stop a hybrid Prius taxi with Alonso on the wheel. In 1.30 minutes we are at the train station!!!!
The station is closed. It opens at 6 am. We go for the ticket booth.
Two tickets to Valencia please.
Sorry! The 6.45 train is full!
OK, when is the next one?
8.30, sir, but itís full too!!!
Come back in 20 minutes. Maybe something is wrong with the computers!
Eventually, the nice lady gives us a paper, sends us to the train departures, and we enter a (basically empty!) train.
75 euros per person.
The train is good. Wide space, we stretch our legs, sleep for another two hours! It also has 220v outlets, so we charge all our laptops/tablet/phones!
The thing is very fast! Thereís a screen with a speedo: 300km/h (186mph!).
I take a pic or two, some short video and sleep again!
We arrive at Valencia. The local tarifa with an old Seat Toledo is another Alonso! In 2 minutes we are at the airport. We have done a reservation with Goldcar (since December, last year) and they canít find us. Our reservation was forÖ yesterday! They cancelled it (refunded, btw!).
We make a new one, slightly higher rates, at 25 per day, instead of 18 we had initially booked).
20 minutes later, at 10.00 am we are at the TRAAAAAACKKKKKKKKKKKKK!

The rest is history, as they say!
You know about the racing!
We finished a respectable 15th and 17th in Stock Class.

Photos and videos to follow.
However, they are already at my FB, if you can follow me!
steliosh is offline Find More Posts by steliosh
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2015, 02:44 PM
Find More Posts by steliosh
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,458 Posts
hey! Don't be afraid to travel with me in the future! I know I was jinxed by a jealous friend, back here in Greece! It's not me!!!

(photos are coming!)
Old May 12, 2015, 02:57 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,458 Posts
Videos!

The fast train!

RC Bike Warm Up 2015 (0 min 42 sec)

The skating event right besides the track!
No wonder for my results!!!

RC Bike Warm Up 2015 (0 min 48 sec)

Saturday Night Fever!

RC Bike Warm Up 2015 (0 min 58 sec)

Superbikes, 4th Qual. Run

RC Bike Warm Up 2015 (3 min 17 sec)

Nitro Final

RC Bike Warm Up 2015 (4 min 7 sec)

Superbikes B final, 3rd race

RC Bike Warm Up (5 min 38 sec)

I expect more videos from other racers to appear really soon!

Watch this space!
Old May 12, 2015, 11:07 PM
Find More Posts by dshy
United States, WA, Kirkland
Joined Sep 2014
110 Posts
Thanks for the field report Steliosh!

That track looks like a different world, compared to where I run my bikes , looks very intimidating to be piloting from so far away. Wish I was there
dshy is offline Find More Posts by dshy
Old May 13, 2015, 03:14 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,458 Posts
the only problem I had was with finding where to brake at the end of the main straight!
In many occassions I found my bike flying towards the fence!
I certainly scored a few goals there (like in soccer!!!)
Old May 14, 2015, 03:45 PM
Find More Posts by steff2202
Joined Nov 2012
4 Posts
Here are the 3 Superbike A-Final videos.
Big Thanks to Steliosh our camera man!!!

Final 1
RC-Bike World Championship WarmUp 2015 Superbike A-Final 1st run (10 min 34 sec)

Final 2
RC-Bike World Championship WarmUp 2015 Superbike A-Final 2nd run (10 min 42 sec)

Final 3
RC-Bike World Championship WarmUp 2015 Superbike A-Final 3rd run (10 min 55 sec)
steff2202 is offline Find More Posts by steff2202
Old May 20, 2015, 02:35 PM
Find More Posts by Manuspain
Joined Feb 2007
275 Posts
Thank you steliosh f9r the report and the vids 😉
Manuspain is offline Find More Posts by Manuspain
Old May 27, 2015, 12:54 AM
Find More Posts by paulkltam
Hong Kong
Joined Dec 2003
55 Posts
just wondering what models are used for racing? what are the configurations?
paulkltam is offline Find More Posts by paulkltam
Old May 27, 2015, 03:08 AM
Find More Posts by edi.winter
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,165 Posts
Top Three commercial Models are in alphabetical order:
For Stock and Superbike (electrical)
KPdesigns KP15
Lightscale JABBER 2015
Nuova Faor T15
RGevolution EVO4.1R Lipo (there is a new one on its way though)
For Nitro
Nuova Faor SF-701 Nitro Racing
RGevolution EVO4.1R Nitro (not sure if they are making a new one)
edi.winter is offline Find More Posts by edi.winter
Old May 27, 2015, 12:15 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,458 Posts
Just now I realized I HAD STARTED a thread earlier with the same name! How foolish can one be?! haha