HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2014, 11:32 PM
Joined Apr 2014
6 Posts
Help!
APM 2.6 with other FrSky receivers

Hi all,

Since the X8R doesn't really work with the APM2.6, will other FrSky receivers work with it? Or is there a problem with the whole FrSky lineup?

Thanks!
mrkelkel is offline Find More Posts by mrkelkel
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2014, 11:51 PM
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
2,815 Posts
What issue are you talking about that doesnt work with APM boards?

Im a total newbie, but all Ive seen are references to the X8R interfering with the GPS. That problem is independent of the board type according to those posting about it. So its not limited to APM boards. Other people say there is no problem at all.

Im not clear if the GPS problem is ONLY the X8 rx's or if the X6 and X4 rx's also cause the GPS interference.

Im planning on using an X series rx on my quad build with a RTFHawk board, but plan to take steps to eliminate the interference.

Just curious what your concern is so I dont screw up if there is something I haven't read about
MrE is online now Find More Posts by MrE
Old Nov 15, 2014, 11:59 PM
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Oct 2006
537 Posts
theres 2 issues with x8r that i know:
1st is the x8r have sbus and not the cppm (in case you want to only use one cable for all your channels)
2nd some users have reported the x8r affecting their GPS signal.

on everything else the x8r works perfect with apm

all the others frsky receivers work perfect with apm
jaas75 is offline Find More Posts by jaas75
Old Nov 16, 2014, 12:06 AM
Joined Apr 2014
6 Posts
I'm talking about the gps interference between the X8R and the APM 2.6.

Is there a solution to canceling the interference?
Or should I buy another FrSky receiver or use the APM 2.6 without GPS?
Old Nov 16, 2014, 12:21 AM
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
2,815 Posts
Im going to be using the RTFHawk board which works with the X8R sbus, so no converter needed.

From what I have read it sounds like you can shield the rx to eliminate the interference - if you actually have the interference. Like I said there have been many reports of people having no problems and some who do. From what I have read, more people are having no issues than are having issues. No telling what you will get until you try it though.

My plan is to start with an X8R and see what happens. If I have poor GPS reception, then I will try shielding and moving the rx around. If all that fails, then I will try one of mt X4R receivers.

If all that fails, I will by a D series rx, but I dont want to spend the money if I dont actually have the problem
Old Nov 16, 2014, 12:57 AM
Joined Oct 2006
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkelkel View Post
I'm talking about the gps interference between the X8R and the APM 2.6.

Is there a solution to canceling the interference?
Or should I buy another FrSky receiver or use the APM 2.6 without GPS?
the interference is not as BAD, place the gps at good distance and turn the esc cables around each other to diminish interference and it should be fine.

i just made a thread about emi shielding for GPS (small experiment ) here on the forums you can try that.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 02:06 AM
Joined Apr 2014
6 Posts
Actually, can I use the APM 2.6 without GPS?
When I unplug the GPS module the red led on the APM 2.6 starts blinking twice, and it cannot be armed.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 08:10 AM
Joined Oct 2006
537 Posts
yes you can use the apm without gps, but honestly why would you do that?? i like to fly on manual but that extra reassurance that im too far and click RTH and Land is very cool and adds extra layer of security
Old Nov 16, 2014, 10:39 AM
Wisconsin
United States, WI, Hayward
Joined Jan 2012
625 Posts
I found the X6R degraded my GPS performance. I replaced with a different RVR brand and it works fine.

It is the telemetry transmissions from the receiver so there is no way to shield it. The noise comes out of the antennas and if you shield the antennas it no longer functions for anything. Some people have added a filter to the receiver to stop it from transmitting on the frequencies of the GPS but it is a delicate repair. Not everyone has the problem.

Not all FrSky revceivers have this issue.
mike_kelly is offline Find More Posts by mike_kelly
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2014, 01:02 PM
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
2,815 Posts
If I have a problem, my plan is to locate the rx and antennas on the bottom side of the quad under a shielding plate that will leave the GPS in the RF shadow. Then, if needed, add an additional GPS shield like this:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2285996
Old Nov 17, 2014, 06:55 AM
Joined Apr 2014
6 Posts
Well I did some experimenting and I got a GPS lock-on in less than a minute using my old WFly Tx/Rx, while GPS couldn't lock-on even after 10 minutes with the X8R. Looks like I'll have to DIY an electromagnetic shield for the GPS.

Would using a D series Rx like the D8R II Plus solve the problem?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 09:26 AM
Joined Oct 2006
537 Posts
yes!!!!
this issue is only with the X series