HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2014, 11:41 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,316 Posts
I got a couple but shopping would be too expensive.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2014, 11:52 PM
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
2,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe221 View Post
Thanks for review, I've got to find someone with a Dx18 to feel it out.
Well if you ever get up this way your more than welcome to check it out. I get down close to Cape Guiardo once every week or so. I could always meet you somewhere.
Fentonflyers is offline Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Old Yesterday, 03:36 AM
Osijek, Croatia
Joined Oct 2010
151 Posts
Ok, now, here is some experience during last 5 years of using Spektrum.
Started with DX6i (DSM2), then bought DX8, and this year upgraded to DX9.
I love Spektrum radios, they are quite easy to program if you are begginer in this hobby, and has very nice features for intermediate and expert pilots. Not to mention some BNF models I relly like (and have).
But one thing is crawling through all of that time and you should consider that for the future.

At this time there are 4 Spektrum users on our flying field, which is local sports airport, and everyone has the same issue.
At particulr area, 50m from pilot, all of us have lost signal many times (and crashed a lot of models).
It happens with all types of receivers, DSM2, DSMX,Spektrum,Lemon, Orange...so it is not receiver issue.
And during this years air show, our guests running on JR (and Spektrum 7ch DSM2 receiver) allso had same issue at the same spot.

Seems to me that this area has "something in the air", maybe some relay station nearby bursts on 2.4 GHz, who knows.

But !!!

There is big but....on that particual area, where Spektrum users loose signal, every year there is a European Cup F3J competition without any problems. As I am a judge on that competition, I noticed that transmitters used for competition are mostly Graupner, Multiplex, Jeti and Futaba (never seen someone with Spektrum).
No one with those transmitters in our club, and no one using even Turnigy 9x, FrSky and Walkera transmitters NEVER had signal loss on that area.

So it looks to me that protocol used by Spektrum is not that bulletproof like others, and that is something that may be considered for future releases.

Here is Google map where all happens.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...U.kKWqCbUuqKec

p.s. sorry for my bad english
gcok is online now Find More Posts by gcok
Old Yesterday, 05:50 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komitadjie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
That was a long, long time ago! You need more digits!

Andy
42 is always the correct answer.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Yesterday, 06:06 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,982 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for review, I've got to find someone with a Dx18 to feel it out.
I've got the 9 and the 18G2, after flying the 18, the nine feels like a toy. The 18 has a substantial feel to me. YMMV. I also really like having the sliders on the side of the case. The sliders on the rear of the 9 are more difficult to use, probably because they're so close to the rubber pads.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
7,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
I've got the 9 and the 18G2, after flying the 18, the nine feels like a toy. The 18 has a substantial feel to me. YMMV. I also really like having the sliders on the side of the case. The sliders on the rear of the 9 are more difficult to use, probably because they're so close to the rubber pads.

Azarr
I also have both those tx
I fly with a neck strap -for the most part - mode 2-
The 9 sliders were improved a LOT by adding a scrap of Velcro hook material along the raised portion.

The 9 sliders fall right next to where my ring fingers are on the case
switching rates requires no changes in holding the sticks-
The 18 sliders are setup to function the same way as the 9 sliders and moving them does require reorienting my hands slightly
For these reasons , I prefer the 9 for most flying
I have a tray radio for glider guiding- the stick buttons are quite handy for momentary functions
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM
aka: Scott Ellis
United States, MT, Billings
Joined Dec 2012
1,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
I also have both those tx
I fly with a neck strap -for the most part - mode 2-
The 9 sliders were improved a LOT by adding a scrap of Velcro hook material along the raised portion.

The 9 sliders fall right next to where my ring fingers are on the case
switching rates requires no changes in holding the sticks-
The 18 sliders are setup to function the same way as the 9 sliders and moving them does require reorienting my hands slightly
For these reasons , I prefer the 9 for most flying
I have a tray radio for glider guiding- the stick buttons are quite handy for momentary functions
I couldn't get Velcro to stay stuck. I ran a couple of microscopic screws into the "bump" on the sliders, leaving them out an eighth-inch or so. I agree, though--for a thumb flyer like me, they're perfectly located. However, I also agree that transmitter "feel" is really subjective. The 9 works for me but I'm not surprised it doesn't work for somebody else!
Xeric is offline Find More Posts by Xeric
Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,463 Posts
This is why it's so important to actually hold one before choosing. The way my hands are shaped and the way I hold the radio, the 18 is much more comfortable (I fly pinch, fingers around top corners of radio, pinkies on back edge). With my grip I can't use the sliders effectively on either the 9 or 18, so that wasn't a factor in my choice.
I also like the radio to angle down a bit while my palms are resting on the sides, if I want it to hang like that on the strap I need to use a balancer (I use the secraft one that's sold for the DX8). You can sort the strap balance out after you buy, but the way the transmitter fits your hands is something you need to be OK with before you buy.
AeroKen is offline Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM
Professional RC Crash Pilot
Joined Mar 2007
443 Posts
Quote:
Well JAy, you've had the Dx9, a new Dx6, and now the king (Dx18 g2). Which feels better??
If he answers that question truthfully, he better be prepared to sleep with the DX18g2.......
eghershey is offline Find More Posts by eghershey
Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
42 is always the correct answer.

Azarr
Yeah, I've been around the Universe a while too (not as you as you! ). It takes a while to figure out, but there's a time when 42 is incorrect ...

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Yesterday, 04:15 PM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Yeah, I've been around the Universe a while too (not as you as you! ). It takes a while to figure out, but there's a time when 42 is incorrect ...

Andy
Ask my wife...
Piper J3 is online now Find More Posts by Piper J3