SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:45 AM
Australia, NSW, Wollongong
Joined Aug 2011
310 Posts
Build Log
Rise Above Aerials Carboncore 1000 Octo build

Here is the build log for a CarbonCore 1000 Octo that I am building. I offer build services through my website Riseaboveaerials.com.

Check out my carboncore quad and hexa build logs also

Components:
DJI electronics
Carboncore frames
T-motor 2814-11
11" wood props (maybe use 12")
DYS 40A simonk flashed esc

When building it, I kept a few things in mind:

1. Cleanliness: where possible I keep all escs and wiring between the two main plates to keep the build looking nice and clean, while still allowing the frame to fold. All esc's are oversized to help with cooling. It is worth noting that so far it seems this can only be done when using aftermarket landing gear, as the carboncore gear mounts where you would likely put all your electronics. I am planning to use an Askman landing gear and gimbal on this frame; they are awesome.

2. redundancy in batteries; I have wired the two power boards together, as well as having a battery for each board. This still allows both boards to be powered by one battery in case of battery failure.

Here is the power board all wired up, using voltair power boards. 4 escs per board, wired up like an X quad. In case a board fails, the remaining 4 motors will be spinning as an X quad format; this should stop it falling from the sky like a brick.

Here is the bottom plate wired up with all escs, and the power boards. I cut the standoffs shorter to fit 2 powerboards in between the centre plates. The powerboard was insulated from the carbon fibre before I put the top plate on.

will update the post when I receive my replacement Wookong MC and finish the build
slidins15 is offline Find More Posts by slidins15
Last edited by slidins15; Sep 18, 2012 at 07:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:37 AM
Joined Aug 2011
310 Posts
Ok so I received the replacement DJI eletronics this afternoon and installed them all. Basic wookong setup with addition of a data link for waypoint control.
Spektrum ar8000 receiver & telemetry module are only mounted temporarily for now.
Also yet to mount the remaining 4 arms of the top crash cage to allow ease of access to electronics.

I'll post up a video once I've done the test flight

And here is where it all comes together:

Last edited by slidins15; Sep 18, 2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:38 AM
Joined Aug 2011
310 Posts
Now just waiting on the landing gear and camera gimbal. Here is the flight video:

Riseaboveaerials CarbonCore Octocopter (1 min 53 sec)
Last edited by slidins15; Sep 18, 2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:52 PM
Patrick Jenkins
USA, LA, 5
Joined Dec 2006
1,035 Posts
Hey man...like your setup..is it still working well for you? About to build a heavy lift rotor and am gonna use the same frame.
zagimon is offline Find More Posts by zagimon
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:42 PM
Joined Aug 2011
310 Posts
yep I'm really happy with the frame. Was having issues with the motor mounts being too thin but they have upgraded them on the newer frames.

Still haven't gotten a camera gimbal on it yet, but that is coming soon!