SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:56 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,747 Posts
Nice to read you again, YEAP.

I agree about the pushrods for either the ailerons or the ruddervators. I was able to make the ruddervators work with a little grinding and bending but I tossed the ones for the ailerons. Sometime this winter I'll get around to replacing the ruddervator pushrods.

If you are going to use too much epoxy? The stab is the place to do it! I've been toying with the idea of adding a few grams of lead in the tail but, frankly, the Specter doesn't seem to be very critical of CG.

Let us know how she goes.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:01 PM
Penang, Malaysia
Joined Jun 2002
414 Posts
Hi Peter

The problem is that I am using a lighter motor so I do not have the luxury of weight in the tail.

Its a sleek machine. It looks good just sitting there. Looks like a Czech "Highlight" from the late 90s.

Regards
YEAP CHIN POH is offline Find More Posts by YEAP CHIN POH
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:24 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,747 Posts
My motor is a bit of a load but I like being able to roll, straight up and out of sight, in around 15 seconds! The point remains, however, that i have moved the CG fore and aft and it just doesn't make too much difference. A couple clicks of elevator trim takes care of it. Although, with the CG pushed back as far as my motor and batteries will allow, it will drop a wing if one uses a lot of aileron and elevator at the same time. That only happened when I was using a 950mah battery as far back as I dared.

It's a very forgiving airframe but it likes to fly a little faster than some gliders I've owned. I like fast glides because i can cover a lot of territory even if I have to head into a stiff breeze. Once you get her in lift one can slow down and make those tight turns. I think you will find that to be true even if you have to use a bigger battery or even a little weight to get the CG where you like it.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:29 PM
Penang, Malaysia
Joined Jun 2002
414 Posts
Hi Peter,

I am pretty scared of a rearward CG so I think I will start with a 65mm CG. A coin up front should do it.

Will let you know how it went
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:44 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,747 Posts
65mm is just about perfect for the first flights. You might even want to add a couple more coins and try it a few millimeters forward just to be sure. I think I've settled at about 68mm and have flown it with the CG at 72mm. It got a little more tricky with the aft CG but it's still well behaved compared to a lot of other planes I've flown. Aside from those couple clicks of elevator trim there just isn't a drastic difference anywhere between 60mm and 70mm.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:47 AM
Penang, Malaysia
Joined Jun 2002
414 Posts
I finally maidened the Specter this morning amidst a cloudy sky. I had 2 short flights, about 5 min each. First flight was horrendous. I was struggling with a plane that kept dropping its left wing despite full right trim. It glides well and fast. Landing requires a lot of room. Its a lovely plane to see in the sky and upon its landing approach. It really looks sleek. I found no bad habits and I am still trimming it. I think I have yet to see its full potential.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:08 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,747 Posts
Congratulations, YEAP. Sorry you ran into the wing drop. I haven't had that problem. Have you balanced it laterally? A heavy wing might do it. Or it could be a twist. That would be easy to fix with a heat gun. Those would be the most likely problems.

Mine responds really well with spoilerons and, if your radio is capable, I highly recommend them for glide path control. If you don't have a mixing radio you can just use the prop as an air brake. You just have to remember to shut the motor all the way off in time for the blade to fold before you hit the ground!

Cheers!
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:18 PM
United States, SC, Greer
Joined Nov 2012
68 Posts
Could someone give me a rough measurement of the battery comparment (H x W x L)? I've almost made up my mind on purchasing this glider and I'm going through the various 28MM outrunner motors and comparing specs. I'm tossing around the idea of running this motor:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00KV_315W.html
Its the NTM Prop Drive 28-26 1000KV / 315W. It can handle 200watts on 3S and 315 on 4S. The 1300mah 4S batts are similar in weight as the 1600mah 3S LIPOS so I was thinking of trying it on 3S and 4S. I would think the Specter would be pretty zippy on 300watts. Oh yea, the motor only weighs 54g according to HK.
SOOFLY is offline Find More Posts by SOOFLY
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:20 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,747 Posts
Hi, SOOFLY.

It would fit a battery up to 120mm long by 35mm square and still have room to play with. It would certainly fit any 2200mah 3 cell I've seen and would probably fit a 4 cell in the same class. You could even gain a bit more length by mounting the servos on their sides a bit farther back than mine.

The NTM 28-26 was high on my list of motor choices. I don't recall whether it was one of the ones that was out of stock at the time or I just decided that I wanted the accessories, so I could use it in other planes, and extra bit of power offered by the KDA. My guess is that the performance between the two would be just about identical with the NTM running a little closer to it's power limit and probably getting a bit warmer.

Cheers!
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:26 PM
United States, SC, Greer
Joined Nov 2012
68 Posts
Thanks Peter
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:44 PM
Penang, Malaysia
Joined Jun 2002
414 Posts
Hi

Pointless going 4 S. The wing is under-cambered. Whilst quick it is no hotliner.

I also think it is very hard to fit a 4S 2200. Don't forget there is still the ESC and I have trouble fitting it all in and I only use a 1500 Mah 3S.

Finally did my 5th flight. I am on leave and I am doing all my flying early in the morning at 8 am before those pesky footballers turn up. I am still learning to fly the airframe. CG is now 70mm from wing root. I am slowly removing the coins.

Transition between power on and glide requires 4 clicks of uptrim. The airframe has a very flat glide but speed must be maintain. It is also maneuverable. I just started trying to use the rudder to turn the plane and found that I had the whole thing the wrong way around!!!!

A 9 inch prop is no stress on the 1000 kv motor. I may go up an inch.

Regards
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:35 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,747 Posts
Glad to hear she flies, YEAP. I have arrived at pretty much the same conclusions.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:28 AM
United States, SC, Greer
Joined Nov 2012
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAP CHIN POH View Post
Hi

Pointless going 4 S. The wing is under-cambered. Whilst quick it is no hotliner.

I also think it is very hard to fit a 4S 2200. Don't forget there is still the ESC and I have trouble fitting it all in and I only use a 1500 Mah 3S.

Finally did my 5th flight. I am on leave and I am doing all my flying early in the morning at 8 am before those pesky footballers turn up. I am still learning to fly the airframe. CG is now 70mm from wing root. I am slowly removing the coins.

Transition between power on and glide requires 4 clicks of uptrim. The airframe has a very flat glide but speed must be maintain. It is also maneuverable. I just started trying to use the rudder to turn the plane and found that I had the whole thing the wrong way around!!!!

A 9 inch prop is no stress on the 1000 kv motor. I may go up an inch.

Regards
The 4S setup I'm refering to above would only produce max 315 watts max.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:04 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,747 Posts
Hi again, SOOFLY.

I think that one could fit most 4 sell 2200mah batteries but I don't have one to try. I'm almost certain that a 1800-2000mah would fit. 3 cell batteries are preferable due their lighter weight. My Specter draws @250 watts at 27 amps with a 10X6 prop and 3 cell 1600mah battery. This combo will pull her nearly out of sight, vertically, in a little over 10 seconds and she's still accelerating. I don't think that squeezing every last RPM out of the motor is important when you get into the size motors we are talking about.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:38 AM
United States, SC, Greer
Joined Nov 2012
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
Hi again, SOOFLY.

I think that one could fit most 4 sell 2200mah batteries but I don't have one to try. I'm almost certain that a 1800-2000mah would fit. 3 cell batteries are preferable due their lighter weight. My Specter draws @250 watts at 27 amps with a 10X6 prop and 3 cell 1600mah battery. This combo will pull her nearly out of sight, vertically, in a little over 10 seconds and she's still accelerating. I don't think that squeezing every last RPM out of the motor is important when you get into the size motors we are talking about.
I agree with you... The extra weight from the 4 cell battery probably isn't worth the extra 50 watts and also running the motor at its limits. I was really just curious what and if they would fit. You know, the nano tech LIPOS are so affordable these days I could pick up a 4cell just to play with on occasion. I have a stash of 3cell LIPOS ranging from 1300-2200mah that I use on helis and other planes so I had planned to run on 3cell.

I still haven't pulled the trigger on the Specter yet. For some reason I keep thinking that I'm going to log onto HK and the Geronimo is going to be available in the US warehouse. Guess I just need to order the Specter and get one of these gliders in the air.