HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2012, 10:04 AM
Joined Mar 2008
521 Posts
Help!
Here we go again! 2 cell UMX newby questions.Miniaviation parallel charger board

Iv'e been flying 1 cell Parkzone Ember, Cub, Mustang, Vapor, Sukhoi, Trojan, Corsair. E-flite aircraft and Kyoshos. for over 5 years.

Now its time for me to jump up to UMX 2 cell Parkzone and E-flite aircraft

I have just got the UMX Mig 15 DF. It flys beautiful

But when i go home and charge my 4x MiniAviation 300 mAh 2S1P packs it takes over 40mins to charge one at a time on the stock charger. (absolute nightmare)

So im getting a 6 port charger board from MiniAviation . Please can you advise me and tell me how it works Please guys im a newby to UMX 2 cell Li=po's . All your help would be very appreciated...

http://www.miniaviation.com/news.html

(1) What charger would i need to power the 6 port charger board

(2) What is the white connector for. what does it do?

(3) What power do i set the charger to charge the 6x 300 mAh 30c 2S1P packs

Please help im wasting precious time charging one cell at a time.
richos is offline Find More Posts by richos
Last edited by richos; Jul 23, 2012 at 06:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2012, 11:06 AM
United States, NJ, Clayton
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
one thing i can tell you, is if you get it, don't do whats in the picture, if those two banana plugs touch, it wont be good. this is a parallel board made to plug into a regular balancing charger, you would set your charger for two cell charging and the amperage would depend on how many packs you have plugged into it, for example, say you have two 2s 300 mah batteries hooked up, if you charge at a 2c rate, you would set it at 1.2 amps (since you have two 300 mah batteries, you add this up and and its 600 mah, to charge at a 2c rate, .600*2= 1.2) may seem confusing, but its actually pretty simple, you will always charge as a 2 cell, the only thing that changes is the amperage depending on how many batteries your charging at a time.
keithy4129 is offline Find More Posts by keithy4129
Old Jul 07, 2012, 11:08 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
looking at the picture, it looks like a hyperion connector on the balancing lead, make sure your charger has that connector, if not, see if there is another one available with the connector you have, and i forgot to mention this will not work with the stock charger! you must have an aftermarket charger.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 12:18 PM
Joined Mar 2008
521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy4129 View Post
one thing i can tell you, is if you get it, don't do whats in the picture, if those two banana plugs touch, it wont be good. this is a parallel board made to plug into a regular balancing charger, you would set your charger for two cell charging and the amperage would depend on how many packs you have plugged into it, for example, say you have two 2s 300 mah batteries hooked up, if you charge at a 2c rate, you would set it at 1.2 amps (since you have two 300 mah batteries, you add this up and and its 600 mah, to charge at a 2c rate, .600*2= 1.2) may seem confusing, but its actually pretty simple, you will always charge as a 2 cell, the only thing that changes is the amperage depending on how many batteries your charging at a time.
LOL! I know not to arc out 6x 30c 300 mah LiPo cells . Im a newby 2 cell UMX aircraft flyer (not an arc welder) Ha! Ha!... I think the picture was not to be taken literally. Im not that much of a newby

(1) So what would i have to set the charger at to charge 6x 30c 300 mah LiPo cells?

(2) And how long would it take to charge them?

(3) Please can any of you guys recommend a reasonable priced charger to charge the 6X UMX MiniAviation 300 mAh 30c 2S1P packs useing the 6 port charger board

(4) Is this type of charging called parallel charging ?

All your help would be very appreciated from you guys on RCgroups
Old Jul 07, 2012, 01:09 PM
Chicago, USA and Manila, Philippines
Joined May 2007
153 Posts
(1) since this is parallel charging (the voltage remain the same at 7.4v), you will add the total mahs of all batteries on parallel, i.e. 200mah + 200mah + 200mah = 600mah (these are your total 1c) and let say that each batteries is capable of 5c charge so multiply 600mah x 5c = 3000mah (assuming your charger can handle up to 3000mah also)

(1) to be exact on your 4 batteries x 300 mahs, on parallel charging, just multiply the battery x the capacities (or add each if different mahs), ie 4 x 300mahs = 1200mahs (1c) x 2c (recommended max. charge for this battery according to their websites) = 2400mahs

(2) in "theory", a totally discharge packs will be fully charged in 12mins with a 5c charge BUT practical life dictates a little different bcoz of other variables like balancing the packs etc etc but expect a short charging time at 5c anywhere 15 mins or more from total discharge. i myself prefer a 2c to 3c w/ my 5c capable packs (just a preference)

(3) it depends on your needs. if you don't charge any 3s or above batteries with large capacities, you will do fine with any charger that cost $50 bucks or less

http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...5n3c85moo40552

you can also try hobbyking.com for chargers

(4) answer yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by richos View Post
LOL! I know not to arc out 6x 30c 300 mah LiPo cells . Im a newby 2 cell UMX aircraft flyer (not an arc welder) Ha! Ha!... I think the picture was not to be taken literally. Im not that much of a newby

(1) So what would i have to set the charger at to charge 6x 30c 300 mah LiPo cells?

(3) Please can any of you guys recommend a reasonable priced charger to charge the 6X UMX MiniAviation 300 mAh 30c 2S1P packs useing the 6 port charger board

yurstruly is offline Find More Posts by yurstruly
Last edited by yurstruly; Jul 07, 2012 at 01:20 PM. Reason: added line (1) 300mah battery
Old Jul 07, 2012, 01:39 PM
Joined May 2007
153 Posts
(2) thats a JST XH balance connector which is the most common balance connector today but not the standard yet since other batteries like thunderpower and hyperion uses a diffent balance connector. .. what it does is balance all individual cells to within specifications and its imperative for all lipos batteries to be balance .....

Quote:

Iv'e been flying 1 cell Parkzone Ember, Cub, Mustang, Vapor, Sukhoi, Trojan, Corsair. E-flite aircraft and Kyoshos. for over 5 years.

Now its time for me to jump up to UMX 2 cell Parkzone and E-flite aircraft

I have just got the UMX Mig 15 DF. It flys beautiful

But when i go home and charge my 4x MiniAviation 300 mAh 2S1P packs it takes over 40mins to charge one at a time on the stock charger. (absolute nightmare)

So im getting a 6 port charger board from MiniAviation . Please can you advise me and tell me how it works Please guys im a newby to UMX 2 cell Li=po's . All your help would be very appreciated...

http://www.miniaviation.com/news.html

(1) What charger would i need to power the 6 port charger board

(2) What is the white connector for. what does it do?

(3) What power do i set the charger to charge the 6x 300 mAh 30c 2S1P packs

Please help im wasting precious time charging one cell at a time.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 02:43 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yurstruly View Post
(2) thats a JST XH balance connector which is the most common balance connector today but not the standard yet since other batteries like thunderpower and hyperion uses a diffent balance connector. .. what it does is balance all individual cells to within specifications and its imperative for all lipos batteries to be balance .....
if your talking about the balancing connector shown in the picture (the one coming off of the board, that is not a jst xh connector, jst-xh connectors dont have a "latch" on them.
Last edited by keithy4129; Jul 11, 2012 at 05:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jul 07, 2012, 02:48 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
Quote:

lol, at least you know better, some people dont get the whole short circuit thing. the other guy pretty much answered your questions, one thing I would have to say with chargers, and this is my opinion, is that you wanna get a good one, I have wasted money on chargers by slowly upgrading that now just collect dust, if you thing your gonna be in this hobby for a while and will move on too bigger things, you will want a good charger.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 04:17 PM
Joined Mar 2008
521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yurstruly View Post
(1) since this is parallel charging (the voltage remain the same at 7.4v), you will add the total mahs of all batteries on parallel, i.e. 200mah + 200mah + 200mah = 600mah (these are your total 1c) and let say that each batteries is capable of 5c charge so multiply 600mah x 5c = 3000mah (assuming your charger can handle up to 3000mah also)

(1) to be exact on your 4 batteries x 300 mahs, on parallel charging, just multiply the battery x the capacities (or add each if different mahs), ie 4 x 300mahs = 1200mahs (1c) x 2c (recommended max. charge for this battery according to their websites) = 2400mahs

(2) in "theory", a totally discharge packs will be fully charged in 12mins with a 5c charge BUT practical life dictates a little different bcoz of other variables like balancing the packs etc etc but expect a short charging time at 5c anywhere 15 mins or more from total discharge. i myself prefer a 2c to 3c w/ my 5c capable packs (just a preference)

(3) it depends on your needs. if you don't charge any 3s or above batteries with large capacities, you will do fine with any charger that cost $50 bucks or less

http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...5n3c85moo40552

you can also try hobbyking.com for chargers

(4) answer yes
Wow ! so its a realistic time of 15 mins to charge all 6 MiniAviation 300 mAh 30c 2S1P packs useing the 6 port charger board at 3c then?

So if im getting 5 mins of flight time out of my UMX Mig 15 with the
MiniAviation 300 mAh 30c 2S1P packs how many charger boards and Lipo packs would i need to have if i were to be (field charging) to have a constant supply of LiPo packs to fly my Mig all day?

Thanks for the input Guys and putting up with a 2S1P pack newby
Old Jul 07, 2012, 05:29 PM
UK
Joined Sep 2009
167 Posts
Production boards will have standard XH balance connector.

I think you could get away with 1 charger and board along with 8 batteries to keep you in the air in theory. If you slowed the charge rate down to 3C you would be better off with 10 packs. 5 for flying and the other 5 on charge.

At 3C i'd expect the charge to be around 25 minutes.
richardbarnett is offline Find More Posts by richardbarnett
Old Jul 08, 2012, 08:03 AM
Joined Mar 2008
521 Posts
Would this do the job or not Guys ?

Turnigy Accucel-6 50W 6A Balancer/Charger

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=7028
Old Jul 11, 2012, 04:56 PM
Joined May 2007
153 Posts
yes it will meet your needs at the current level. my question is are you planning to expand to a larger plane in the future which will demand a larger packs of cells and amps? if you say yes, you might have to reconsider buying a larger capacities charger that has a typical output of 20A or more but then those are in the $150 and more for a good charger

Quote:
Would this do the job or not Guys ?

Turnigy Accucel-6 50W 6A Balancer/Charger

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=7028
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:40 AM
Too much is just not enough...
Joined Jan 2009
1,071 Posts
The board you posted looks very good. Not sure when they will be in stock, but another option is to use one of these:
http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...beast-umx.html

As for all the other comments, they still hold true with this connector. Parallel charging works great, and the folks at Progressive have outstanding customer service.
Hope this helps!
Woody_99 is offline Find More Posts by Woody_99
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:14 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_99 View Post
The board you posted looks very good. Not sure when they will be in stock, but another option is to use one of these:
http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...beast-umx.html
Which is not in stock either. Excellent work Woody
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Jul 12, 2012, 06:58 PM
Too much is just not enough...
Joined Jan 2009
1,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
Which is not in stock either. Excellent work Woody
I could say that I was refering the the Progressive RC cable when I said I didn't know when it would be back in stock, but ... I wasn't.
I didn't even notice it was out of stock.

So, I'm busted!
Woody_99 is offline Find More Posts by Woody_99