SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 22, 2012, 07:42 AM
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2008
4,245 Posts
Excellent Job Herc as always!!! She came out stunning.
Twisted Realm is offline Find More Posts by Twisted Realm
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:11 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
FWIW, I use dental floss in those positions to help stop breakout. Are the hinges top hinged foam like on the Telink Yak?

Azarr
How do you do this with dental floss? Do you cut a slit in the end end glue in a piece of floss? Or do you just glue it to the surface of the wing?
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:29 AM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,649 Posts
I've had dental floss pull out after a while. It works better than nothing but after a few good tugs or lots of use it will separate from the glue.

The best hinge preserving method I've found is to cut a 1" square piece of Blenderm tape and put a coating of welder's on the sticky side, then put that at the end of the hinge. The adhesive in Blenderm won't stick to EPP, hence the welder's.
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:37 AM
RC VIDEO ADDICT!
Georgia, USA
Joined Oct 2003
78 Posts
Stop when it catches on fire! Hilarious! Looking forward to my little crack yak!

Craig
psk560 is offline Find More Posts by psk560
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:42 AM
RC Toys R 4 White Trash
Joined Dec 2008
4,090 Posts
Great job Chris
Dan5.0 is offline Find More Posts by Dan5.0
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:01 AM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,966 Posts
Great job Chris. Thats a lot of work you put in to this. Looks like the build is quite differant than the edge build.
Gravitycheat is offline Find More Posts by Gravitycheat
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:15 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Nov 2009
224 Posts
Awesome job. Way to get it done before first shipment u worked ur butt off
cbriggs11 is offline Find More Posts by cbriggs11
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:18 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwojcik View Post
I've had dental floss pull out after a while. It works better than nothing but after a few good tugs or lots of use it will separate from the glue.

The best hinge preserving method I've found is to cut a 1" square piece of Blenderm tape and put a coating of welder's on the sticky side, then put that at the end of the hinge. The adhesive in Blenderm won't stick to EPP, hence the welder's.
I have torn the welders hinges on my 3dhs foamies so many times that I now just use blenderm on top of the welders, stick fine on dried welders so I will do the same here on the corners
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:30 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwojcik View Post

This has worked well for me as well, I had never heard of using dental floss and was curious how it worked.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Jan 22, 2012, 01:05 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,332 Posts
You can just cut a thin strip of CA hinge and ad inlay it in the foam like we do on Telinks.

BTW, I just flew the Crack Yak production plane in my backyard and it is even better than the last prototype! Its been raining and windy all weekend but I could not resist a quick flight in the very confined and obstacle ridden yard.

I was curious to see if the added weight of paint and landing gear would change the plane. Specifically I was worried it would introduce coupling which was zero before. Well it did change the plane, for the better!! The added weight really did some good. This thing flies about as close as you can get with EPP to a competition indoor depron plane! I am totally stoked!!
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old Jan 22, 2012, 02:06 PM
USA, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2007
933 Posts
Great build photos! Just a note that on my Windows machine, although the text adjusts to a variable width on IE and Chrome, on Firefox, the width needs a little bit more than 1920 pixels (my largest monitor).
7rider is offline Find More Posts by 7rider
Old Jan 22, 2012, 04:05 PM
Joined Dec 2011
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hercdriver7777 View Post
Yes, they are pre hinged and hinged very well with a laser cutter but if you dig a control surface into the ground it will tear it out. That is unless you put a thin beat of Welders at the inner and outermost parts of the hinge line. Not required but a good idea.
Herc.... Do u have a close up shot showing where u lay the glue bead?
tsilvers is offline Find More Posts by tsilvers
Old Jan 22, 2012, 04:11 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsilvers View Post
Herc.... Do u have a close up shot showing where u lay the glue bead?
http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...9-IMG_1097.jpg
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:12 AM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,649 Posts
C'mon herc, give us some video! I'm shakin' here!

Mine should be here today. All my equipment is ready, gonna fly it indoors this weekend and probably outside in the snow before then (I'm impatient, especially with foamies!).
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:25 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Yeah come'on herc !

Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...