HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2009, 01:36 AM
USA, IA, Cedar Rapids
Joined Apr 2007
236 Posts
Discussion
Lost my right aileron about 200 feet up

The plane: Cheap A$$ CMPro Edge 540T (50 size0 with a Saito .91).

I just got it this Spring after flying my PT-40 trainer for the past year. Haven't had a whole lot of luck with it so far. Ran it out of fuel, ended up in the corn (broke the landing gear off), lost radio contact (my fault), ended up in the corn. Forgot that you can't land it in the grass, flipped it and broke the rudder. Landed on the runway and ended up in the grass, broke the two elevator servo gears.

Everything was working on it and had a few great flights last Friday. No problems and landed without going into the grass.

I took it out today and was going some very fast vertical rolls. guessing about 200 feet up, I noticed something fall off the plane. I took it straight down and leveled it out and realized the right aileron had broken off. It split in two and half of it was only hanging on by the control arm going to the servo in the wing.

Don't know if its because it has large ailerons but I managed to bring it around and land it on the runway with only the left aileron. It wasn't a completely smooth landing but I kept it on the wheels and didn't break anything else. I have no idea how it didn't end up in the corn again or the trees. I thought it was a gonner. Didn't think you could fly one of these with a missing aileron.

I'm guessing that it was the hinges. They pulled right out of the wing. I was running the ailerons pretty good but I've never had an aileron fall off before.

So this will be an easy fix for once. It was a little bit of a project to replace all the wood where the landing gear goes when I broke those off.
Aaron1100us is offline Find More Posts by Aaron1100us
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2009, 09:29 PM
Alan
USA, NC, Dudley
Joined Sep 2007
213 Posts
I broke off about a 3rd of an aileron one time on a showtime 90, and could not tell it in the air. Use nylon screws on the LG and nest time you have a rough landing they will snap off and all you need is new screws not glue, wood and a whole night of work.
Alan
bgfireman is offline Find More Posts by bgfireman
Old Sep 18, 2009, 03:39 PM
United States, FL, Palmetto
Joined Sep 2009
197 Posts
Do you ever pin your hinges? I always do with round tooth picks, and some CA. Have not lost a control surface yet,,,,Knock on wood!
keocak is offline Find More Posts by keocak