Old Mar 03, 2015, 11:21 AM
Find More Posts by epilot
Remote island inhabitant
United Kingdom, Greenham
Joined Nov 2000
6,447 Posts
Help!
Suggestions please for kits with molded parts

When I return home end of March I will start on prototypes for models with molded Depron fuselages. I'm fairly sure my molding technique works. What has been missing is the ability to make 2-part molds without a huge amount of effort and at reasonable cost. The piece of the puzzle is now falling into place as I'm learning how to work with 3D CAD.

Initial tests will be done with an Albatros DV fuselage mold. Mainly because I always fancied an Albatross. I know there is a micro RTF model available so I will make mine a bit bigger.

My thoughts are that the market for micro/indoor kits is fairly small. Most people go for the UMX and Flyzone RTF models. When I look in the Parkflyer forum there appear to be quite a few people who build kits. Therefore it would make sense to make models of a size that would appeal to the parkflyer crowd but could be flown indoors in larger venues.

Because of the popularity of quads there is now a good selection of small, affordable brushless motors and ESCs available. Therefore I would like to design models around the 1804 and 1806 size motors and 6A or 12A ESCs. I would use 2.5gram or 3.7gram servos. Lipo packs would be 2S or 3S, 350-500mAh. All in all this is a very affordable setup.

I'm not sure about model size yet, I will have to experiment a bit there. Starting point will be 1/16 scale. That would make an Albatross DV 56cm span. Small enough to be transported fully assembled.

Some parts will be vac formed rather than molded from Depron. It depends on what is the most practical for the given application.

What molded models would you be interested in? Scale only or also sport designs with curvy fuselages? Cartoon style model? Twins, multis? Size? Once the CAD work is done it is easy to make molds to different scale. I haven't entirely ruled out 1S models for UMX type equipment at this stage.
epilot is online now Find More Posts by epilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2015, 11:37 AM
Find More Posts by alset
Gunbarrel, CO
Joined Dec 2006
128 Posts
"Once the CAD work is done it is easy to make molds to different scale".

How would you make these molds? Foam? 3-D printing? Carved from balsa?
Myself, I'm interested in 20 to 23 inch scale WWII fighters. Something to accommodate
a 2S 180 size brushless motor.
alset is offline Find More Posts by alset
Old Mar 03, 2015, 11:58 AM
Remote island inhabitant
United Kingdom, Greenham
Joined Nov 2000
6,447 Posts
Molds are made by "slicing" a 3D drawing. These slices are laser cut and assembled into a plug. This is then sanded smooth or smoothed using car filler. A female mold is cast from this plug. Another plug is made but with the surface offset by the thickness of the foam to be molded. This results in a 2-part (clamp) mold.

Can you give me an example of a 180 sized motor, I'm not familiar with that way of categorising a motor.
Old Mar 03, 2015, 01:03 PM
Find More Posts by fausto1
France, Aquitaine, Saint-Astier
Joined Mar 2013
87 Posts
Alfa models is doing an albatros short kit. There is an rtf albatros.is It a good choice to béguin by this model? Why not à Siemens of a spad who are difficult to dévelop from a pièce of depron? I will follow With interest your work. Olivier
fausto1 is offline Find More Posts by fausto1
Old Mar 03, 2015, 01:35 PM
Remote island inhabitant
United Kingdom, Greenham
Joined Nov 2000
6,447 Posts
As mentioned, I always wanted an Albatross and it's a fairly easy fuselage to mold. It might not be the first kit I release.
Old Mar 03, 2015, 01:46 PM
Find More Posts by alset
Gunbarrel, CO
Joined Dec 2006
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epilot View Post
Can you give me an example of a 180 sized motor, I'm not familiar with that way of categorising a motor.
See description of e-flite motor

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLM1120

This is in many Parkzone planes.
Old Mar 03, 2015, 01:51 PM
Remote island inhabitant
United Kingdom, Greenham
Joined Nov 2000
6,447 Posts
Thanks. It says it weighs 8.5 grams. Is that including the mount? Quite an expensive motor.

The Emax MT1804 motor weighs 14 grams and can be had for $12.
Old Mar 03, 2015, 03:35 PM
Find More Posts by scousethief
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,440 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ors-Micro.html

There are also the micro motors at hobbyking which are slightly cheaper than the eflites and are pretty light +/- 5g , they are also more importantly reliable , i have a couple in the durafly models and 1 or 2 spare which ive never needed....yet lol ..... the 3000kv is happily swinging a 5x3 prop on 3 cell using a 10amp esc.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Mar 03, 2015, 03:43 PM
Remote island inhabitant
United Kingdom, Greenham
Joined Nov 2000
6,447 Posts
Ah, but in the immortal words of Baldrick: "I have a cunning plan". I'm an EMAX dealer so I can offer a power package to go with models. Also the 5 gram motors are a bit small for the model size I have in mind (and I don't want to design around a motor that is exclusive to Hobby King).
Old Mar 03, 2015, 03:49 PM
Find More Posts by scousethief
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,440 Posts
No m8 of course , i was merely pointing out that there were motors akin to the eflite and cheaper.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Mar 03, 2015, 06:32 PM
Find More Posts by HanksGB
confused poet
USA, CA, Orange
Joined Feb 2004
1,088 Posts
I could suggest lots of planes to model like say an F4F wild cat" micro" size with a nice molded fuse would be cool.

I've noticed in some threads you mention that you're trying to earn a bit of money doing this. I wonder if having generic shape fuses and rough kits that builders could build what ever they want would make sense?

Say you make two fuselage designs, a roundish one and a squareish one. then sell them with a few pieces of foam and guys could make what ever they wanted, like say a biplane or a parasol or canard. That way your tooling has the ability to make more than one type of model. Or even just making a scale fuse and selling it separately with some foam to let people imagination run wild.

Just a thought.

Hank
HanksGB is online now Find More Posts by HanksGB
Old Mar 03, 2015, 08:48 PM
Find More Posts by alset
Gunbarrel, CO
Joined Dec 2006
128 Posts
Emax MT1804 motor

Incredible thrust (300g) with 5030 prop and 3s. Just what wingspan planes were you thinking about? I personally prefer planes with no more than 2s to run them.

As far as WWII planes there are already too many Mustangs, Spitfires, 109's, etc. out there. How about a Stormavik or Polikarpov I-16?
Old Mar 04, 2015, 02:02 AM
Find More Posts by Jackdaw
Joined Jan 2010
51 Posts
Kit suggestions - Hawker Fury, Hawker Hart/Demon/Hind.
Jackdaw is offline Find More Posts by Jackdaw
Old Mar 04, 2015, 03:04 AM
Find More Posts by blackmoon
flying beam
through the Looking Glass
Joined Apr 2008
1,983 Posts
Why always war birds, why not a Lockheed Sirius or Vega, or one of the Stimson's SR series, would love to have one of those birds (maybe even one of each ) in the 20" ws
blackmoon is online now Find More Posts by blackmoon
Old Mar 04, 2015, 04:10 AM
Remote island inhabitant
United Kingdom, Greenham
Joined Nov 2000
6,447 Posts
The 1804 and 1806 motors work well with 2S and 5x3 or 6x3 props. No need for 3S unless you "feel the need for speed". With 200+ gram thrust in a 150gram AUW model performance should be good.

The Hawker Hind is very high on the list of planes I would like to kit. I was a regular at Old Warden when we lived in the UK so have seen it fly many times.

At the moment I'm trying to model a Hellcat in Rhino as a learning exercise.

It doesn't have to be warbirds. Lots of lovely between-wars planes to model as well. I'm partial to race planes.

In terms of sports models I will probably make a molded BUMP fuselage in various sizes. A 2-part molded fuselage would make it very quick to build.

Initially the molding will not have much if any surface detail. I know surface detail looks great up close but on models this size you can't see it from a few meters distance anyway.

This is indeed an exercise to try and make some money. Unfortunately I live a place where it is difficult for me to find work. I already have my own business designing, manufacturing and selling marble machine kits. However I need to branch out. I do have a part time job at a mason but due to bad knees I may have to give that up. Running up and down scaffolding doesn't do them much good. I'm under no illusion that I will sell a huge amount of kits and the return on time invested will be relatively poor. However we don't have an expensive lifestyle and it's also my hobby so it keeps me busy.