New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2014, 08:44 AM
Find More Posts by Jeff4912
Joined Jul 2014
8 Posts
Discussion
Covering around wing dowels?

At the stage of covering my Sig 4 Star 60, and wondered what techniques some of you have used to get around obstructions such as the dowels on the LE of the wing that seat it in the fuselage saddle.

I would like to only have a single seam at the wing root. The wing is permanently joined together already also.

This is my first build and cover job so I don't have a lot of experience to draw from.

Thank you.
Jeff4912 is offline Find More Posts by Jeff4912
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2014, 09:02 AM
Find More Posts by ARUP
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
2,341 Posts
I realize it might be too late but glue the dowel in place after covering. Fuel proof the engine bay after covering, too. I use dope in the engine bay for 'color' then coat that with epoxy after covering.
ARUP is online now Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Dec 28, 2014, 10:06 AM
Find More Posts by BMatthews
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
12,824 Posts
I always add on things like the dowels after the covering. Pre-drill the holes of course so you don't need to do it later. But add the dowels through the covering AFTER.

What you can do now is lay the covering onto the dowels and mark the spots. Cut clean small round holes that are slightly smaller than the dowels with a piece of sharpened brass tube. Now lightly stretch the covering down over the dowels and begin ironing it on from the area between the dowels and away to the edges. If you do it just right it'll look fine.

But it's a LOT easier to just fit the dowels into place dry before covering, remove them for covering then replace and finally glue them.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Dec 28, 2014, 10:14 AM
Find More Posts by Nergall
Joined Aug 2009
1,853 Posts
The front dowels on a Four Star aren't visible anyway. Just put a slit (or two crossed slits) where the dowels pass through the covering and then trim as best as you can. They should be epoxied in, so the covering only has to be close - not perfect.
Nergall is offline Find More Posts by Nergall
Old Dec 28, 2014, 10:39 AM
Find More Posts by DGrant
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,537 Posts
On something like that, I just notch it out top and bottom. It will end up a square, and actually it looks intentional(obviously it is)... and clean... and nobody sees it anyways.. and it takes about 10 seconds total.
DGrant is online now Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Dec 28, 2014, 09:16 PM
Find More Posts by portablevcb
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
16,658 Posts
I have used a hole punch and then a slit to get around a dowel.

Best is to glue in the dowel after covering but I have been a bit impatient a couple of times

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb