HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2014, 07:22 AM
United States, MI, Lapeer
Joined Jan 2014
21 Posts
Discussion
in doors newby

whats a good trainer for indoors flying with 15 or more other peoply flying at the same time. or just wait till spring, and fly at the local field instead? thanks.
sweet s is offline Find More Posts by sweet s
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2014, 08:04 AM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Apr 2013
685 Posts
I like the vapors I think they are best starters but most of the parkzone biplanes are easy to fly indoor. most small planes need the landing gear fixed up or go with a first time glue back from there first hard landing. but there are a few even small 2 channel planes out there too. That use the engine for how high they fly. Champ ok for larger indoor flying or if your real good with it. Micro sticks or real small scratch built made from crashed parts and dollar tree foam so if it gets hit only loss a dollar. So many small planes must be flow inside to see how great they really fly.
papadwight is online now Find More Posts by papadwight
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by papadwight; Mar 03, 2014 at 08:09 AM.
Old Mar 03, 2014, 08:06 AM
Bob Olson
Granger, Indiana
Joined Nov 2006
241 Posts
plane?

Anything you don't mind being destroyed.
homer49 is offline Find More Posts by homer49
Old Mar 03, 2014, 09:54 AM
PowerTower
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2009
1,058 Posts
Look up 'Sumo', find a video-clip for a laugh !
You would probably be the only one left flying, then get banned !!
Seriously... the Sumo is great, but they are not a beginner model being that they are full-on 3D and have massive control surfaces, super manoeuvrable and are pretty well 'combat models', brilliant fun with a crowd of Sumo's, but not so fun if you are flying a Vapour for instance
RWData is offline Find More Posts by RWData
Old Mar 03, 2014, 10:00 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,803 Posts
usually having too many flyers tends to demoralize beginners. but it may have just been me who didn't like company as a beginner.
pretty much what papadwight said. my vote would be the flyzone albatros or similar biplane/triplane.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Mar 03, 2014, 11:35 AM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet s View Post
whats a good trainer for indoors flying with 15 or more other peoply flying at the same time. or just wait till spring, and fly at the local field instead? thanks.
The Night Vapor is super easy to fly , but bring scotch tape for wing repair if it gets hit by someone else's prop .
balsa or carbon is offline Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Mar 03, 2014, 11:51 AM
Sure, I can fly after sunset!?
United States, MI, Novi
Joined Jan 2011
521 Posts
Duet

The DUET is a great indoor flyer.

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/...f/HBZ5300.html

It is easy to fly and looks really neat with the twin motors. I remove the landing gear and hand launch/belly flop it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=35

The DUET is RTF and is by far the cheapest setup you can get. $60 !!! and it includes the tx batteries!

Somewhere on this forum somebody painted theirs to look like a WWII bomber. Really neat.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=45

A problem with the vapors is they are so slow that they get in the way of the "normal" planes.

Another nice plane is the Flyzone Albatross, but it is not as easy to fly as the DUET and is a bit fragile.

I have had a lot of fun flying both indoors.
mybad is offline Find More Posts by mybad
Last edited by mybad; Mar 03, 2014 at 11:59 AM.
Old Mar 03, 2014, 07:24 PM
Joined Jan 2014
21 Posts
so duet... what about a flat epp foam kit, or a cheap delta wing?
Old Mar 04, 2014, 04:05 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2010
239 Posts
Let me think, beginner, indoors, sharing the room, trying not to get crashed and trying not to crash into others. Reminds me of me when I was trying to learn at an indoor soccer field, if anybody else was there that big space promptly became the size of a basketball court, and I could not fly slow enough to do anything except one constant turn/loop. Nowdays I would recommend a cheap quadcopter with blade guards, I got a brand-x on close-out for less than $50 and it is a lot of fun.

Good luck
JD
JD-Slow-Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by JD-Slow-Thumbs
Old Mar 04, 2014, 05:33 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,840 Posts
How big is the venue? Here's my recommendation, the EZ Fly trainer from Fancy Foam. Can be flown inside or out, available as a kit from FancyFoam or as plans in the Scratchbuilt forum. Epp is your friend for indoor flight, if it rips or tears and few minutes with contact cement or CA and it's back in the air.

Azarr

EDIT: as JD inferred, those new to indoor flying find that somehow turning on the transmitter causes the walls to close in.
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Mar 04, 2014, 06:30 AM
United States, NC, Troy
Joined Dec 2008
214 Posts
A Playmate might do the trick, too. Three channel, high-wing and light, but sturdier than the Vapor (a little faster, too).

If you're a rank beginner, get a Vapor and fly when there's a lull in the action if it's really crowded. Anything faster than a Vapor will be a handful unless you're flying at an indoor soccer dome!

Have fun!
iwlf is online now Find More Posts by iwlf
Old Mar 04, 2014, 06:32 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,201 Posts
Well there should always be someone with a different view to in-door flying --

8-Foot B-17 RC Model Indoors (2 min 48 sec)
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Mar 04, 2014, 02:13 PM
United Kingdom, England, Dorset
Joined Apr 2010
968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
Well there should always be someone with a different view to in-door flying --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY9ycwJQ_kE
Do you have any details on that plane? How can it fly so slow?
alibongo is offline Find More Posts by alibongo
Old Mar 04, 2014, 04:15 PM
Joined Jan 2014
21 Posts
i do have 12 flights under my belt before the snow came in. 2 places to indoor fly. a soccer field, and a big warehouse. i have looked at the ez fly. thought about the ez fly ailoron trainer. buddy thinks a delta wing would be better.
Old Mar 04, 2014, 07:48 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alibongo View Post
Do you have any details on that plane? How can it fly so slow?
The only requirement for slow flight is light wing loading ( overall weight relative to wing area ) . Build a plane with maximum wing area and minimum weight for slow flight .

Here's a video of a foamy I made with light wing loading . When it's coming in for a landing ( end of video ) it's going slow enough to walk alongside for a close-up .

Al

Lightweight 40" wingspan FT Old Fogey-ish (2 min 58 sec)
balsa or carbon is offline Find More Posts by balsa or carbon