SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:54 PM
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Feb 2004
117 Posts
Discussion
Starting Out

I'm sure that there have been others who have posted on this forum about this, but I can't seem to find it, so I'm kicking it off again!

I live in So Cal, and I know of one sailing group in Irvine but I don't know if they are still sailing. While I'd like to go there and talk to the guys, my situation is such that I can't right now. Enough said. SO! I leave it to you all to help me out!

I'd like to get back into sailing (I had a Soling 1M that I had to sell years ago and regret to this day) but I'm not really sure where to start out. I noticed that almost all the hobby stores around me no longer carry nice 1m yachts, and I'm not keen on buying Kyosho sailboats if I can help it. I've even thought about building my own but I'm not sure that the "savings" would be worth all the effort and struggle. (I'm pretty sure it'd cost more in the long run..)

Today's requirements for radios and gear have really come a long way it seems, but anyway, here are some of my questions.

A) Can I still use my old FM radios and receivers? (it'd be great if all I have to do is get a sail winch servo) If so, can I use my aircraft radio since they don't seem to be in use around fields anymore?

B) What are some good yachts to look at? I'm just on a very limited budget right now.. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

C) Are there other clubs in the OC area?

D) What servos / radios are good these days?

E) Assuming I can get into a club, are the rules/regs all standard for racing?

F) What are some good guidelines for starting out (again) in this hobby?

Thanks for the input!!
techcoast is offline Find More Posts by techcoast
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2013, 02:29 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,266 Posts
There is a club that sail at Mason Park.

http://www.classcreator.com/Irvine-C...lass_index.cfm

Also one in Long Beach as well as Los Angeles, a bit of a drive for you.
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Sep 17, 2013, 04:53 PM
Canada, BC, Lake Cowichan
Joined Jul 2011
494 Posts
No - you may not use aircraft 72Mhz radios for surface use - that regulation has not changed.

Best boat is the class sailed by your local group - and they may have used ones available.

Sailing rules keep evolving, but the essence of the rules is much the same. You can download the latest version of the RRS 2013-2016 from

http://www.sailing.org/documents/racingrules/index.php

John
hiljoball is online now Find More Posts by hiljoball
Old Sep 17, 2013, 07:44 PM
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Feb 2004
117 Posts
I checked their site, looks like they have only specific types of boats that they sail. Are there groups that have an "open" class to allow for other manufactures or home built models that have to follow a certain guidelines perhaps? I just don't have the funds to get into another Victor model ( I really miss my Soling 1M ).. anyone know anyone selling one? I'm selling my TREX 450 to get some money up for this thing
techcoast is offline Find More Posts by techcoast