HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2013, 09:47 PM
Joined Aug 2013
54 Posts
Discussion
Question about a Starter Aircraft

Hello I want to get into rc airfcraft, my areas for a launch are limited because i live in a suburban area in New York Long Island so at times of the the year wind can get pretty gusty, and my 2 areas I have in mind is the school across the street that has a huge field that would suit launch perfeclty but would require grass take off and landing, and my highschool which has a track that would be AWSOME as a runway and has a pretty decent amount of airspace open, just have to watch those pesky field goals from the field in the middle.

I want a warbird I was looking through alot of planes on NitroPlanes and saw a few that I liked I interned at Northrop Grumman So i do have an understanding of aircraft and how they act in the air, and have always played many games like Flight Simulator. I'll put a list on the bottom of aircraft that I like but I need an informed opoion about, keep in mind a grass landing and takeoff would be ideal, and I like aircraft that have no problem "Floating" across the sky.

So heres my list

Dynam P47 Thunderbolt
http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy8956-p47-rtf-24g.html

Dynam F6F Hellcat
http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy895...t-rtf-24g.html

Dynam ME109
http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy895...9-rtf-24g.html

Airfield ju87 Stuka (Love this one but not sure about its maneuverability seeing as its a dive bomber)
http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a390-14...o-rtf-24g.html

Dynam Corsair
http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy8953-f4u-rtf-24g.html

Alot of Dynam, i guess their planes are my taste, anyway also what kind of charger/secondary battery should i get, from what ive seen on forums the SkyLipo 40c batterys are good, and I saw dynam has chargers so if i am going with their planes cant hurt to go with thier charger, also what kind of power supply do you need for these chargers. Thanks for reading
plation is offline Find More Posts by plation
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2013, 11:40 AM
Joined Aug 2013
54 Posts
Also dynam has this simulator, is that reccomened to help get used to how oreintation works?
Old Aug 11, 2013, 11:49 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,803 Posts
you will very likely wreck those planes. start off with http://secure.hobbyzone.com/HBZ7400.html or http://secure.hobbyzone.com/HBZ4900.html
those planes should be fine for 3rd (or maybe 2nd) planes. but not first planes.

ps - no idea about dynam simulator. get RealFlight (there are others out there too but i cannot opine on them).
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Aug 11, 2013, 12:11 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,914 Posts
Hi Plation and welcome to RCG. Yes, get a simulator first! It's great to see someone excited to get into the hobby, but we see it so often on the forums, they often want to jump into getting planes they probably aren't ready for yet. But let me back up a little. You say you want to start in RC planes, but do you have any other RC experience? Also, do you have anyone experienced to help you out?

I f not, I really recommend you start with a trainer plane. Sure, they don't as exciting as the warbirds, but as a beginner, unless you happen to be a natural, you are going to have crashes along the way, until you get the hang of it. (Well, some of us still keep crashing stuff! I just had a rather hard landing with my Edge540QQ yesterday. Now I'm waiting for a few replacement parts...). Would you rather have a patched up trainer plane, or patched up warbird? I'd rather keep my warbird pristine.

For a small field like that, and if you're dealing with winds, I think the soon to be released HobbyZone Delta Ray would be ideal. The stability and trainer system built into it (SAFE) is an incredible new technology for beginners. (Even for us 'old-timers'. I just got a Blade Nano QX quad copter with SAFE, and it's amazing. Actually, this is a fun little machine that could help you get familiar with how to control RC craft inside your home.)

Just some thoughts, as I hate to see someone try to get into the hobby, get disappointed, and leave in frustration. It's common. You can do it, but you have to walk before you can run. I'm sure we'll see links to the 'My RC jet can fly 100mph' vid, and some other humorous links here. Don't let them put you off. We just get a little jaded sometimes! Like I said, those are nice planes for the price that you linked, but you have to be ready for them first. Start with a trainer which comes with everything you need first, hang around and read in these forums, and you'll learn what chargers, batteries, etc., are desirable and which to avoid. There are other good trainers than the Delta Ray I linked. Search around and see which are popular. They are popular for a reason! And keep asking questions. We all climbed that hill once!
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Aug 11, 2013, 12:36 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,178 Posts
Disclaimer: the following video is not aimed at any individual known to this thread. All resemblance to any persons living or dead is purely coincidental. Your mileage may vary. Not to be taken with children, pets or Zagis. Thanx and a tip of the hat to 1320fastback, who made this video.
RC Flying Newbie (3 min 36 sec)
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Aug 11, 2013, 12:43 PM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
7,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Well, some of us still keep crashing stuff!
except the mig, right?
Old Aug 11, 2013, 12:45 PM
Crash Test Pilot
United States, SD, Sioux Falls
Joined Dec 2012
20 Posts
Plation,

Those are great planes you have selected and Dynam makes a solid pretty solid airplane (I have a couple). However, warbirds and most low wing planes usually do not make good first airplanes. 2nd or 3rd plane yes, but not the first. High wing planes are preferred and recommended as beginner aircraft as you have a much better chance with success because of the way these fly. The Super Cub and Champ as linked above are both great starter planes. I own the cub and that is a great plane that has a cult like following with lots of modifications available. Mine still has stock motor and gearbox except I upgraded the receiver and ESC, but also has lights, and a camera all operated by the transmitter. More mods to come on this plane and it remains one of my favorites. The Dynam simulator (controller) is a great value but comes with the most rudimentary and (free) software. But the simulator controllers, both the 4 and 6ch work with other simulators as well so worth taking looking. I happen to use the Dynam 6ch with Clearview ($40.00) which is AWESOME at that price point and has many add on aircraft avail. I also have Aerofly Professional Deluxe and could consider them a pretty close comparison. Realflight 6 would be one of the Top 3 but I think it's expensive and for a new pilot I'd say save that money for parts and that next step aircraft.

Welcome and good luck on you quest to select that perfect first airplane. Lot's a choices and even more slick marketing. The Hobbyzone Apprentice is also a great first plane to look at as well but it's a little bigger than the Cub and a GIANT compared to the Champ.

In the end look at a HIGH WING as a first plane.
dakotaflyer is offline Find More Posts by dakotaflyer
Old Aug 11, 2013, 12:51 PM
yank and bank!!
Joined May 2013
2,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
"I don't want to fly that plane it is stupid".....
failboat is online now Find More Posts by failboat
Old Aug 11, 2013, 12:59 PM
Joined Aug 2013
54 Posts
How is somthing like this?

Dynam Piper Cub
http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy892...rtf-24ghz.html

Also dynam has this listed as a trainer although not entirely sure how hard it would be to fly as it is a big plane but i guess that would mean it isnt as touchy

Dynam C47
http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-8931-...n-rtf-24g.html
Old Aug 11, 2013, 01:05 PM
Joined Aug 2013
54 Posts
Also how about the charger/extra battery its looks like this cub comes with one (correct me if im wrong) but i dont have a problem getting a better charger and want an extra battery for longer flight time since i would have a place to charge other then my house so once i go over to fly it i want to stay as long as i can
Old Aug 11, 2013, 01:11 PM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
7,803 Posts
this is the charger i use http://thunderpowerrc.com/html/TP610CACDC.html all the way from when i started with the supercub, till now.

for the supercub you can pick up extra batts. its a fun plane and you'll likely not be flying just one flight. when you get better and feel more comfortable you can mod it for large batts. ask on this thread how to do that: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1338787
the guys there are amazing and will help you through your progression with the plane. its an awesome mod platform too.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 01:16 PM
Joined Aug 2013
54 Posts
How about somthing like this

http://www.nitroplanes.com/60p-dyc-1...rger-blue.html

Found thunder chargers on nitro planes but they were pretty expensive, also what kind of power supply do these things need?
Old Aug 11, 2013, 01:32 PM
Joined Aug 2013
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by failboat View Post
"I don't want to fly that plane it is stupid".....
Thats funny
Old Aug 11, 2013, 02:12 PM
Joined Aug 2013
54 Posts
Hey so im trying out that clearview, dont have a controller just doing keyboard to ge a feel for how these craft react in the sky, and im wondering, what are good things to do in the sim. I ve already tried landing which isnt easy and took a few tries. Although i finding it pretty easy with the keyboard when i do what i understand is in my limits
Last edited by plation; Aug 11, 2013 at 02:20 PM. Reason: to add more info without making another post
Old Aug 11, 2013, 02:20 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post
except the mig, right?
Well, I've been pretty lucky through the years. Though I flew sims like Microsoft Flight Simulator and X-Plane for like 30 years before I started RC, so I took to it quickly. It's a long, sick, obsession though... So I've only totally destroyed one plane, the Phase3 P-40, which I made fun of in my avatar. (Although a 14 yr old fellow club member garbage picked it and was flying it the next week! A lot of glue!) After a real bad landing attempt that wiped out the main gear, I tried my very first hand launch of a plane. Over pavement rather than the soft, thick grass a few feet away. Duh! Though I have crashed my PZ Corsair (dumb thumbs), Apprentice(it was either an aileron servo going bad on final, or loss of signal as I had my tx antenna pointed at it, I swear!), my Radian (found the top of a power pole in a dive!), some bad launches with my UMX Stryker, and my latest, a really hard landing with my Edge540QQ. It happens to all of us! My UMX MiG has just been lucky so far!
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k