SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:06 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,627 Posts
Yeah, I got like maybe 50 lipos. I need to build a bunker I guess!
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:24 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,508 Posts
More like a base.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:44 AM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,052 Posts
First, obviously, condolences to OP. I've often thought about the fact that pretty much everything material that I really like is in my garage, and if something happened in there I'd likely lose it all. I'm not sure how to mitigate that though, the reason I like the garage so much is because all of my favorite things are there.

Anyway, I read the first couple pages, but haven't read the entire thread. Since it's become a discussion of lipo storage I thought I would share my bunker. Maybe it was already discussed.

I like my bunker because it will allow gasses to vent without creating a bomb. It also has many compartments to if one lipo lets loose I will not lose my entire collection. There were demonstrations on youtube several years ago proving it's effectiveness.

This picture is from a couple years ago. Since then I have doubled the size of it, and I think I am getting ready to add another set of blocks. Cinder blocks are around a dollar each, and the construction adhesive isn't too much either. Instead of the loose cinder block up top you can put ziplock bags full of sand and it will actually put out fires if they occur. I just went with the block though because it's more convenient.

-Jay
CyberJay is offline Find More Posts by CyberJay
Last edited by CyberJay; Feb 17, 2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:06 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,627 Posts
Well that's a charging station. Now what I am worried about. I am there and can use a fire extiguisher if something happens. I am worried about what happens while I am sleeping.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:18 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Jan 2006
192 Posts
Like Jay I used cinder blocks but mine were the bigger ones.
Those are slick and stackable. Could glue them together and glue some ceramic tile on the open bottoms. The Restore store near me always has all kinds and shapes of tiles at pennies a piece.Lay a large tile over the top with a spacer to vent the gasses.
touche is offline Find More Posts by touche
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:43 PM
central AZ
Joined May 2002
1,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
Well that's a charging station. Now what I am worried about. I am there and can use a fire extiguisher if something happens. I am worried about what happens while I am sleeping.
Just leave the batteries in there when you're not using them. It'll do the same job, which is contain the fire and vent gasses. But more blocks if you run outta space.

Oh, and of course, my condolences to the OP. I'm just glad nobody was in there. The loss of property sucks, but the loss if life is devastating.
KnifeEdge51 is online now Find More Posts by KnifeEdge51
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:17 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
I store mine in Lipo bags because someone warned me that the ammo boxes can explode like you mentioned. I guess Lipos are a class 3 or 4 fire if I remember my Navy fire training. Chemical and almost Ferris. Chemical can be extinguished stubbornly, but ferris for class 4 can only be contained. I am going ahead and ahead and installing a monitored alarm and will be buying more lipo bags. Multiple lipos in one bag is I am sure on an economy of scale a disaster waiting to happen
For folks concerned about ammo boxes for storage...
Underneath the lid, there is a black "O" ring.
Remove it. No more seal to worry about.

Notes:
Once ignited, lipo burn until consumed.
Burning Lipo generates it's own oxygen supply, cannot be smothered.
Sand in a zip lock bag confines the flames, doesn't put them out.
Smoke and gasses are toxic and caustic. Exposure will corrode electronics and ruin anything nearby. Breathing them is bad. Seek medical attention.
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:17 PM
Always puts it on the numbers.
United States, AL, Sylacauga
Joined Jul 2012
1,140 Posts
Working on the new Hobby Room.

As some of you do, and some don't know. We have been building a new house and one of the rooms was going to be/is going to be the new hobby room. I thought I would be getting it set to become operational later this spring but now it has become a priority to house my new aircraft. So it looks like the first finished room in the new home will be in fact the hobby room.

Work from today.

Room is 20x36. The work table is 12x8.
Spookeay is online now Find More Posts by Spookeay
Last edited by Spookeay; Feb 17, 2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:21 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,627 Posts
Oh now that's nice! Nice and big. Talk about a clean slate, Of course I am blessed to have the little 6x6 niche in my garage as my shop.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:26 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,982 Posts
Nice indeed. My shop is the same size as your table and I share with a water pump, bladder tank, water heater, tablesaw , various woodworking tools, a three tier tool box, a 12ft step ladder and yard tools including a gas weedeater/tiller and chainsaw. Shelves for starting seedlings too. Even so, I've managed to keep a 32"x96" MDF counter clean for minutes at a time to build on.
It seems that room is not on the ground floor, is that opening for an elevator?
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:40 PM
Joined Jul 2012
1,140 Posts
No the 2rd floor or 3'rd if you count the basement LOL.. and that opening is a bannistered over look into the living room, when finished will have a sliding wood pannel door on it...... There is a elevator down the hall. more of a dumb waiter or service lift but will hold one person. The reason for the size of this house my husband and I were going to move our parents in with the both of us but his mom died in the summer and mine on Thanksgiving so we have a lot of empty room now. If I had known they were going to pass away we would have made it much smaller and it would be finished now. Such is life. It will be nice when it's done.
A view from one of the now gone planes back in the fall.
Last edited by Spookeay; Feb 17, 2013 at 11:49 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:17 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnifeEdge51 View Post
Just leave the batteries in there when you're not using them. It'll do the same job, which is contain the fire and vent gasses. But more blocks if you run outta space.

Oh, and of course, my condolences to the OP. I'm just glad nobody was in there. The loss of property sucks, but the loss if life is devastating.
Yep, just to be completely clear, my batteries are in those blocks 99% of the time. I do charge in there when I charge at home, but I also store in there. I have two small batteries in each of the small pockets. Then I have the larger block on the right (not in the first pic I posted) and that has two 5s5000s in each of the big holes. I also throw my UMX batteries and stuff like that in those big holes too.

I have many many aircraft, but with careful planning I only need 3s2200s, 5s5000s, and UMX batteries. My B-17 takes four 4s2200s, which I store in a separate bunker since I rarely fly it. And I just added a Blade 500 to the mix, so I need to add some 6s2650s, maybe 3 or 4. So I may expand the bunker with another set of blocks. Then the B-17 packs could have a permanent home and I'd have room for the new heli packs.

I've started being careful to destroy old batteries. When I started, and 3s2100 Thunder Powers were $80, I used to save the old ones to use for low discharge applications. Now that 3s2200s are $15, there's no reason to keep old ones around.

-Jay
CyberJay is offline Find More Posts by CyberJay
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:55 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,627 Posts
I always wondered if that was your house, Spookeay. Nice to have land to fly on! I am thankful for microquads, which are nimble enough to fly in a neighborhood street.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:47 AM
Manufacturer
Joined Sep 2012
292 Posts
So sorry to hear and see this.. and thanks for letting us all know of the dangers. I have a neighbor who's house burned last month. All rooms inside totally gutted due to toxic smoke, but luckily the house itself wasn't burned to the ground. The cause in his case was a cheap mains powered door bell. Sad to see.
Mark
IceManPro is offline Find More Posts by IceManPro
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:49 PM
Joined Jul 2012
1,140 Posts
Insurance agent just left. I'm covered for a total loss and the maximum payout of my policy.

God is Good.