HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:30 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2012
237 Posts
Question
Brushless Motors?

So my Slash 4x4 locked up today. I pulled the stock velineon motor off and there was black dust and shrapnel in there. Does anybody know whats a good motor to drop in this thing with the stock velineon esc??? I dont want a motor esc combo, I dont trust aftermarket esc's. Everybody I seen who runs some kind of aftermarket esc, new or used, it has finicky issues (like the entire on/switch falling off). Seen it multiple times. Im running 2s batteries.
08charger3.5 is offline Find More Posts by 08charger3.5
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:41 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,709 Posts
It's a bit narrow vision to think only the Velinion ESC is worth trusting. I've never heard of an on/off switch falling off, but even if that would happen, it's a simple task putting it back on. And even though there may be some cheap trash ESCs on the market, there are also respectable brands that perform just as well or better than the stock ESC.

Btw, if I recall well you were perfectly happy with the stock motor, and considering you dislike any aftermarket ESC, I can't imagine why you would trust an aftermarket motor.

Another thing to consider, why did the original motor die so soon? If you don't find that out as well, the next topic will be "Killed My Second Motor, What Is Going Wrong?"
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:05 PM
Outdoor Extremist
Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2010
1,006 Posts
if i were you i would just get a castle creations 2400kv sct combo and drop it in there
rustlererad3 is offline Find More Posts by rustlererad3
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:15 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,852 Posts
2400kv is too low for the slash since it's geared stock for a 3500kv motor.

Why not just replace it with another stock motor?
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:24 PM
Outdoor Extremist
Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2010
1,006 Posts
okay so 3500kv and mmp esc then
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:41 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2012
237 Posts
Traxxas support said send it to them with a proof of purchase.Hopefully they can help me out, the motor wasnt that old. Anybody have any cooling methods for the velineon motor?
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:33 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08charger3.5 View Post
Traxxas support said send it to them with a proof of purchase.Hopefully they can help me out, the motor wasnt that old. Anybody have any cooling methods for the velineon motor?
Let's see, cooling... How about putting ice cubes on it?

Seriously, you must be aware the most common cooling methods are putting a heatsink on the motor, and when that's not enough, add a fan. Not exactly rocket science.

But... before just looking at extra cooling, shouldn't you look why the motor got too hot (if that is the cause of the motor failing) in the first place? Perhaps the drive train is not running light enough any more, possibly due to all the bashing. Or you fitted bigger, or heavier tyres, which put more strain on the motor. And there are more possible reasons for a motor overheating. Just adding better cooling without adressing the cause is like putting a bucket under a leaking roof, it works, but only to a certain degree...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:51 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,852 Posts
Were you monitoring temperatures before it failed, or just assuming it failed from over heating? It may have gotten debris inside at a higher rpm causing internal issues, or maybe it was just defective from the start and failed early.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:39 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,709 Posts
Now let's hope the TS still reads your postings, WP, as I tried to suggest as well to have a more thorough look at why the motor failed, before jumping to conclusions that is was overheating.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:25 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2012
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Were you monitoring temperatures before it failed, or just assuming it failed from over heating? It may have gotten debris inside at a higher rpm causing internal issues, or maybe it was just defective from the start and failed early.
It's been cold here plus Im just running 2s 20c batteries, I assumed it wouldnt be too hot. Besides what would I do if I heat tempt it and it was running hot? I probaly should have removed the motor before now and clean'd out the dirt between the mount plate and the motor.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:49 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,709 Posts
Quote:
It's been cold here plus Im just running 2s 20c batteries, I assumed it wouldnt be too hot. Besides what would I do if I heat tempt it and it was running hot? I probaly should have removed the motor before now and clean'd out the dirt between the mount plate and the motor.
Never assume anything. Measure it! Drive it around and check motor temps either with your finger, or better, with an IR tempgun or so. As soon as you start assuming things, and go like "what if that is the case, then what do I do?" Find out what is happening, too many factors are unsure at the moment, and we don't get anywhere...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:53 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,852 Posts
Quote:
Have you tried cleaning it out fully (flushing it out with motor cleaner and re-oiling the bearings) then trying the motor again?

If it's running too hot, you need to adjust the gearing so it doesn't run too hot.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:12 PM
Outdoor Extremist
Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2010
1,006 Posts
best investment in rc is a temp gun also plan on putting a heat sink with a fan on the motor
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:55 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustlererad3 View Post
best investment in rc is a temp gun also plan on putting a heat sink with a fan on the motor
If the motor is getting hot, and it's not overgeared, too big tyres, etc, cooling this way can be effective enough. Just a bit of a shame that others have to repeat things I said 2 days ago before the topic starter will get it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
Seriously, you must be aware the most common cooling methods are putting a heatsink on the motor, and when that's not enough, add a fan. Not exactly rocket science.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SoloProFan; Feb 07, 2013 at 06:53 AM.