HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:23 PM
United States, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Jun 2010
168 Posts
The problem I had was the cloth didnt want to stay down.You can always sand off what you dont want and there is plenty of time if you think about how to work it down also put a second coat after it is laid.I got some of those harbor freight cheap brushes to use after pulling the loose bristles out
flyboy4422 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy4422
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:08 AM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,587 Posts
I see your in Iowa where it is colder. Mix the Epoxy in the house where it is warm. Put the hull in the garage to cool it down before you work on it. Pouring the warm Epoxy onto a cold hull will slow things down some.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:31 PM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,408 Posts
Iowa

Cold NAA 32 right now and wednsday and thursday winter storm advisory. I dont think I will work on it in the garage even though its heated.
Bob
Robert Pulse is offline Find More Posts by Robert Pulse
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:12 AM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,408 Posts
cold

11 degrees this morning 6 inches the white stuff (I wont mention the name). anyway I got part of my xmas present yesterday. Two 2 inch 4 blade props and one of the action mixers from harbor models. I also recieved 4 rudders from horizon hobbies. They fit the Arleigh Burke (for flanking rudders) I have most of the other electronics for the boat but wish I could find two of the 12 volt 3700 pittman motors. I have found smaller 12 volt pittmans but not the ones that are about 2 inches in diameter and 3 to 4 inches long. I guess I will have to keep looking. I have to go out and clear the drifts from my driveway so my wife can drive to work again. so off I go.
Bob
Last edited by Robert Pulse; Dec 21, 2012 at 11:22 AM. Reason: add
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:54 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Pulse View Post
11 degrees this morning 6 inches the white stuff (I wont mention the name). anyway I got part of my xmas present yesterday. Two 2 inch 4 blade props and one of the action mixers from harbor models. I also recieved 4 rudders from horizon hobbies. They fit the Arleigh Burke (for flanking rudders) I have most of the other electronics for the boat but wish I could find two of the 12 volt 3700 pittman motors. I have found smaller 12 volt pittmans but not the ones that are about 2 inches in diameter and 3 to 4 inches long. I guess I will have to keep looking. I have to go out and clear the drifts from my driveway so my wife can drive to work again. so off I go.
Bob
Question..your putting 4 rudders on a Burk? Mine used scale rudders (2) and with the independent controll on the shafts could spin the model on the center line like a tug boat...
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:08 PM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,408 Posts
Rudders

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith S View Post
Question..your putting 4 rudders on a Burk? Mine used scale rudders (2) and with the independent controll on the shafts could spin the model on the center line like a tug boat...
No I am putting flanking rudders on a towboat. I am just using the ones that are made for the Burk
Bob
Old May 20, 2013, 07:47 AM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,408 Posts
Don L. Williams river tow

I have chosen a name in remembrance of a friend. It finally got warm enough to glass the hull and I am on my second coat of epoxy over glass. It went much easier than I thought it would and the glass went on in two pieces. I am going to give it a medium sanding to level out the high spots then apply another coat of epoxy. Being my first glassing of a hull, I am pleased. It also gave me practise before tackling the Mastonia pictures later.
Last edited by Robert Pulse; May 20, 2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old May 20, 2013, 06:32 PM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,069 Posts
Robert, I just glass'ed my 20 foot banana boat on Saturday. Outside in partial shade 60 'ish degrees with just the two products you have 105 and 206.
Both 105 and 206 were at room temp.and remained warm all day.
I mixed throughly in a 1 quart plastic paint bucket. 4 pumps of 105, 4 pumps of 206. Mixed those for about a minute, then with a 2" brush quickly spread it over the glass cloth in an area about 1' and half square. then I went immediately back and brushed "in" more of the mix until the cloth sort of became "clear" and for the most part couldn't be seen.
It really does get kind of clear looking.
I then ever so carefully ran a sqeege over it to smooth the cloth and resin mixture out.
Scraping the sqeeged resin back into the paint bucket.
I had plenty of working time doing it this way.
The biggest help will be to go through the motions first.
Think about it 100% exactly what your going to do. and follow that plan.
You'll be fine really.
One thing you could do first would be to mix up a pump of each, spread it out on some scrap and see how it works. It's wonderful stuff.
once your used to it's ways...you won't look back.
It would be good in your case to coat the hull first and set the cloth into the resin, then go over it with more resin until its smooth, west systems levels out quite nicely.
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris