HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:01 PM
Joined Dec 2012
3 Posts
Discussion
Zippy Batteries?

Hi everyone I'm new to the rc car world and I have a big question.

My First question is should I buy zippy batteries or are they bad and why?

My last question is what zippy batteries would be suitable for the traxxas Rustler Vxl
and the Bandit Vxl for max speed and do I need to modify my car to put in the battteries in any way?

Please leava a tutorial.

Thanks Monkeyman101!
Monkeyman101 is offline Find More Posts by Monkeyman101
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:37 AM
Hackettstown, New Jersey
Joined Feb 2008
737 Posts
I have a bunch of Zippy batteries that I've used for a couple of years in my Rustler VXl and they worked fine.. They are decent batteries and will work fine as long as you get a battery that is 30C or higher.. 20C doesn't have the discharge rate that current brushless motors like and the battery will not last or puff eventually. If you go with hardcase batteries they will fit no problem.. just measure the height or get the traxxas battery extender kit.. then even 3s packs fit with no issues.. If you go soft case.. you have to measure the length and width.. under 48mm wide and the length I don't remember.. just measure the inside of the battery area from where the rib is in the back under the esc to the front of the compartment.

My original Zippy's have a couple hundred cycles on them and they are slightly puffed.. Been that way for a while but they still are being used in one of my touring cars with no issues.. I've since moved onto nano-tech turnigy's.. great bang for the money and the sizes are more or less standard and fit everything.. There are better batteries out there and I'm sure opinions will flow.. but its your money...
cenracer1 is offline Find More Posts by cenracer1
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:50 PM
Joined Dec 2012
3 Posts
Thanks cenracer1 but which LiPo batteries by zippy should I buy for the rustler vxl or the bandit vxl for the maximum speed by the way I also want to know is there a faster charger for these batteries?

Thanks Monkeyman101
Monkeyman101 is offline Find More Posts by Monkeyman101
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:45 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,852 Posts
What do you mean by "maximum speed"? What do you mean by faster charger? How fast do you want to charge the packs?

What kind of surface are you driving it on? How long do you want each run to last (roughly)?
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:25 PM
Hackettstown, New Jersey
Joined Feb 2008
737 Posts
You are not going to go faster than the motor and gearing combo taking into account roll out and tranny ratios will allow.. that being said, a higher C rated battery will get you there faster but the top speed won't change.. the only way top speed will change is if the motor draws more power than the battery can deliver.. Amps/watts... for example a 20C 3000 mah battery will only allow up to 60 amps delivered to the motor.. what if the motor can draw 80 amps or more.. then the motor isn't reaching its potential top speed.. The trick is to get a battery that is higher than the amp draw... 100amps is the minimum you would want... Better batteries also have lower internal resistance.. Thats were good batteries pay off.. they allow the battery to dump power "amps" quicker and also allow the battery to run without puffing or getting hot.. Lipo batteries should not be hot after a run!!!!
On the subject of charging.. maybe I'm old school, but I never charge at more than 1C... that is figured by the Mah of the battery.. a 3000mah battery charged at 1C would be 3 amps.. a 5000 mah battery would be 5 amps.. You can charge at a higher amp "C" level but you can shorten the battery life dramatically.. some manufacturers claim their batteries can be charged up to 5X the 1C rating.. but personally I wouldn't take the chance...
To figure out the amp output of a battery.. take for example.. a 20C battery outputing 3000mah is 20x3=60amps.. a 50C 5600 battery would be a whopping 280amps potential output.. I use the term potential because I really don't believe the C ratings of most of the battery companies anyway so I just get batteries that are higher than I would ever need.. You will notice a difference
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:31 PM
United States, CA, Loleta
Joined Sep 2003
38 Posts
A 3s lipo will give you higher speeds than a 2s.
derejf is offline Find More Posts by derejf
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:11 PM
Hackettstown, New Jersey
Joined Feb 2008
737 Posts
Not always... a battery of the same rating and brand will, but like I said earlier, some brands are not what they seem.. I have a friend who purchased ZD racing 5000mah 3s batteries rated at 30c off ebay.. I was running my Zippy 5000 40C 2s batteries in the same car he was running.. Mine was faster! it was a pretty good difference in speed as well.. I was surprised myself, but when I looked at his batteries they were so thin.. I thought they were 2S based on the size but the label and the balance plug show 3S..