SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:10 PM
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Feb 2012
281 Posts
Discussion
Motor or ESC

Hey all I need help trouble shooting my electronics. Basically I have a quad that is having issues maintaining throttle. By this I mean that when throttled up the quad takes off like it should, climbed to where ever I decide to settle in within reason. No more than about ten feet and all of a sudden it's like the ESC starts to shut down the power and the quad settles to the ground no matter how much throttle I give it. If I let It sit a minute and than throttle it up again it lifts off but than quickly looses power again. No with that being said I do have a motor with a slightly bent shaft and this motor gets exceptionally hot to the point of smoking. So I am pretty sure the motor is bad but will that cause a power loss for the rest of the motors? I am in the process of ordering new parts I just want to make sure that I buy enough. It seems to me like maybe a ESC is faulty but I am not sure how to tell. The other thing is that none of this seems to an issue without props in place, but I kind of expect with no load this would be the case.
Thanks
Clinton
anotherdebt is offline Find More Posts by anotherdebt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2012, 09:28 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherdebt View Post
It seems to me like maybe a ESC is faulty but I am not sure how to tell.
Clinton
Try to test the suspected bad ESC with one of your good motors on the ground. (I don't fly quads, so you have to figure out how to do that).
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Jul 02, 2012, 11:15 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,043 Posts
"the ESC starts to shut down the power and the quad settles to the ground no matter how much throttle I give it. If I let It sit a minute and than throttle it up again it lifts off but than quickly looses power again."

Clinton;
From your description, your ESC and motors are doing their jobs.
I think your battery is too small, defective. The ESC is signalling low voltage.
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Jul 03, 2012, 11:50 AM
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Feb 2012
281 Posts
Well when i use those same batteries both 2s and 3s for my helies they are fine also the charger is showing the batteries almost full. That was my first thought when it began.
anotherdebt is offline Find More Posts by anotherdebt
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:11 PM
Joined May 2010
959 Posts
I agree, sounds like a sad battery. Try a bigger one, or one with a higher c rating. Running four esc's off one battery must be pretty demanding.
Deadstick 8409 is offline Find More Posts by Deadstick 8409