SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 12, 2012, 01:12 PM
Joined Dec 2011
281 Posts
Discussion
Does the avitron plastic helmet improves speed?

Hey guys i had a weird accident today and the plastic helmet of avitron broke, i took it off as it was totally shattered, does the avitron flies worse without the plastic helmet? is there a way i could buy a new helmet for it?
The accident was weird because the bird simply refused to flap its wings after 30 secs or so even though i could clearly see it wasnt because it was low battery + the motor was making noise while the wings were locked in :S.
Anyways i would like to know how important is the helmet to the bird flight ability, i couldnt get it to weight 1 gram so im skeptical it matters but who knows...
Thanks in advance!
Legendary_Agent is offline Find More Posts by Legendary_Agent
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:09 AM
ID
Joined Apr 2005
444 Posts
It might throw off the COG of the bird, plus it is for protection. Without it, any nose-in crashes or landings (which would be almost all of them) will crush the EPS foam beak.
Sky HawK is offline Find More Posts by Sky HawK
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:44 PM
Joined Dec 2011
281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky HawK View Post
It might throw off the COG of the bird, plus it is for protection. Without it, any nose-in crashes or landings (which would be almost all of them) will crush the EPS foam beak.
Hey sky hawk, thanks for the reply mate, what is COG? im working on getting replacement parts but i think this bird is pretty damaged, it keeps turning into one side no matter how much weight i add to the other wing, replacing the wings also still makes it turn into the same side, i might have to buy a new full body... :S
Old Feb 15, 2012, 09:29 AM
ID
Joined Apr 2005
444 Posts
Center of Gravity. If it isn't balanced front to back then it will either dive or climb radically. Was it a hard crash that broke the beak protector? Also are the wings you have flat or curled up at the trailing edges? If seen wings cause this turning issue, it's a thrust issue, not a weight balance issue and lead tape didn't help mine either.
Sky HawK is offline Find More Posts by Sky HawK
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:47 PM
Joined Dec 2011
281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky HawK View Post
Center of Gravity. If it isn't balanced front to back then it will either dive or climb radically. Was it a hard crash that broke the beak protector? Also are the wings you have flat or curled up at the trailing edges? If seen wings cause this turning issue, it's a thrust issue, not a weight balance issue and lead tape didn't help mine either.
Hello they arent very curled but i think ive found out the problem or so i think
the lef socket semms that is a bit loose so it moves forward and backwards a bit giving the left wing less strech, i have no idea how this happened but it might have been because of the original defect, when the bird was new sometimes it would fly for 30 secs and after that the wings would just lock in and refuse to flap untill it hit the ground, it happened a few times and i tought it was battery issue but the bird was fully charged and i could hear the motor making noise but just not flapping...
Is the only solution to buy a new foam body?
Last edited by Legendary_Agent; Feb 16, 2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 01:45 PM
Joined Dec 2011
281 Posts
Wow very sorry for the horrid ortographic typos, i was in a hurry and i typed from my cellphone...

Anyways edited the post now with correction, this bird is very great, its impressive how well it glides for its size, can u believe that when i was gliding a wind actually pulled it up 1 or 2 times in the same glidding session?
it took me around 30 seconds for it to fall from under 50 metters of height! with a non damaged one it would have been more i bet!