HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2012, 11:30 AM
Joined Nov 2011
78 Posts
Discussion
Help me with ROV electronics?

Hi, whats the best way to do rov electronics? I want to use hobby grade electronics, but was wondering how to do it since i am not going to use wireless transmission. How to i route the signals for the motors and servos through wires? I would be willing to use my computer... Thoughts?
bshey is offline Find More Posts by bshey
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2012, 02:42 PM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,629 Posts
Going for a tethered system there are many options, the most important IMO is making the cable very slightly positively buoyant. Cable internals can be of any type ie cat 5, coax combinations of coax and power even fibre optic. Interfaces can be built to suit any cable.

The simplest is Coax with a filter at each end. The signal for a standard RC controller can be used and the video can be sent up the same cable.

Nick
nick_75au is online now Find More Posts by nick_75au
Old Feb 04, 2012, 07:16 PM
Joined Nov 2011
78 Posts
what program would i use on my computer? Or how would i get the signals fron am rc controller to travel through the wires?
bshey is offline Find More Posts by bshey
Old Feb 04, 2012, 10:19 PM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,629 Posts
Have a look at the ROV forums, they are a little quiet but when I was playing around with this a while ago I used a standard transmitter and a small TV screen, at the time I was not able to record any results. There are some custom software snippets out there but the computer program route as far as I know is DIY, there are no off the shelf solutions for hobbyist that I am aware of.

I posted a diagram here of simple filter to send the RC down and Video up the same coax on the ROV forum the thread may answer your question.

Cheers
Nick
nick_75au is online now Find More Posts by nick_75au