HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2011, 01:43 PM
Bristol, England
Joined Apr 2003
84 Posts
Discussion
Trojan Newbie Question - Rudder

Just bought a PK Trojan.

Sorry about the basic question, but can someone explain to me when to use the rudder? I have never actually flown a plane with ailerons and rudder before.

Is the rudder necessary for basic flight and control? Would a good plan be to leave the rudder alone for the first flights, as there is enough to think about what with throttle, ailerons and elevators?

Thanks for the advice.

Martin
Bristol, UK
Martinuk is offline Find More Posts by Martinuk
Last edited by Martinuk; Mar 24, 2011 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Punctuation
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2011, 02:01 PM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,335 Posts
You can fly it using just ailerons and elevator (I suspect that is what most people do).

You can usually tell if someone is doing this as the tail hangs down a bit in the turn.

To make a coordinated turn, you will use aileron, elevator, and rudder (the tail will follow through the turn when you do this and the turn will look nicer).

You will use rudder on take off and landing (the steerable nose wheel is on the rudder channel).

Also for snaps, spins, edge and other maneuvers, you will also need rudder.
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem
Old Mar 23, 2011, 09:44 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,936 Posts
+1. You can definitely start with the T-28 using only the ailerons and elevator, in the air. Once you're comfortable, you can "add in" using the rudder to make your turns more coordinated. As you progress to other planes you'll run into some that really do need rudder in turns, too, but it's not difficult once you're used to it. Enjoy the T-28--great plane!
GradyLee is offline Find More Posts by GradyLee
Old Mar 24, 2011, 11:48 AM
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Oct 2005
2,630 Posts
Don't sweat about the rudder. Use it on the ground to control the front wheel to steer your plane. Once the plane is in the air, forget about the rudder until you are landing.

Some flyers will talk about coordinated turns. Basically, the bigger the plane, the more need to coordinate the turns. On Parkflyer size planes like the PZ planes, there is absolutely no need to coordinate the turns. Its extra effort that does not bring about any appreciable results. If you want to do some stunts, like Ah Clem mentioned, you can experiment with the rudder and its affect on the plane's flying.
Leo L is offline Find More Posts by Leo L
Old Mar 24, 2011, 04:17 PM
Amped UP!
Saint Cloud FL
Joined Jan 2007
705 Posts
Martinuk, As others have stated when it comes to flying the park flyers using the rudder is not needed typically. I would say learning to use the rudder is a good thing as you will need this skill should you advance in to more complicated aircraft. even on a "park size faomy" knowing how to use the rudder can be helpful. I have lost aileron control on an aircraft and have saved the airplane because I knew how to use the rudder on my plane. I say when you get comfortable flying your bird take the time to learn this important skill.
AR1516 is offline Find More Posts by AR1516
Old Mar 24, 2011, 04:24 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2010
3,035 Posts
use the rudder also to track on a landing. If you are drifting, you can use the rudder to correct your heading. When you use ailerons close to the ground, you can scrape a wing tip on the ground.
restlessswind is offline Find More Posts by restlessswind
Old Mar 25, 2011, 08:03 AM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR1516 View Post
Martinuk, As others have stated when it comes to flying the park flyers using the rudder is not needed typically. I would say learning to use the rudder is a good thing as you will need this skill should you advance in to more complicated aircraft. even on a "park size faomy" knowing how to use the rudder can be helpful. I have lost aileron control on an aircraft and have saved the airplane because I knew how to use the rudder on my plane. I say when you get comfortable flying your bird take the time to learn this important skill.
Well put--this is what I was trying to say. One of the first things I flew that really needed coordinated turns was a GWS Tiger Moth 400 with a Park 450--I'd have hated to try to learn about using the rudder with a plane in the air that really needed it . . .
GradyLee is offline Find More Posts by GradyLee