HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2011, 01:57 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel0407 View Post
Hey mate.

Your post nearly got lost in some IT forum. Thought I would rescue it, since I'm interested too.

I'm going to try the Turnigy 2836-2350kv http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=7993

It's a bit heavy but I'm thinking the extra power will be good.

Happy Days.
My own personal favorite for the SkySurfer:

Smooth, low vibration, and pretty long time cruising at half throttle. Even climbs well on half throttle.... But when you want to get upstairs quickly, just go to full power and stand it on its tail

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4200

And especially with this propeller:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...eller_6x4.html

Unfortunately, the motor is backordered now. It comes and goes.
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2011, 02:07 PM
United States, WI, Eau Claire
Joined May 2011
1,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel0407 View Post
Hey mate.

Your post nearly got lost in some IT forum. Thought I would rescue it, since I'm interested too.

I'm going to try the Turnigy 2836-2350kv http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=7993

It's a bit heavy but I'm thinking the extra power will be good.

Happy Days.
Bloody hell - have you seen the stats on this mate?

APC S400 6x5.5 10.24V 39.10A 19685rpm 400.38W 165km/h 869.7g 69 ETA.

400W! It will turn the Skysurfer into a rocket! I wonder if the wings can handle that kind of thrust.

Now if only it wasn't from HK and I'd order it now. I've just had horrible horrible luck with them.

Let me know how you get on with it and I might brave HK one more time, but by the time they deliver it to me it will be the depths of winter here.
banzi28 is offline Find More Posts by banzi28
Old Oct 14, 2011, 02:08 PM
United States, WI, Eau Claire
Joined May 2011
1,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
My own personal favorite for the SkySurfer:

Smooth, low vibration, and pretty long time cruising at half throttle. Even climbs well on half throttle.... But when you want to get upstairs quickly, just go to full power and stand it on its tail
I've been waiting for those motors for over a month. I finally gave up and am looking for something from a US vendor.
banzi28 is offline Find More Posts by banzi28
Old Oct 14, 2011, 02:32 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
I do the same. I would bet that most other folks do that too. The problem I have is with the word "THOROUGH" and all the stuff that the word implies. I don't know what a DI is. But, every day before every flight (even after a crash), I do at least a minimum preflight of the control movement and CG. Do I do those things 100% of the time. No. If you look at the video, I took off right after a "hard" landing and that is when a piece of foam came off. Again, I am grateful that I didn't walk out through all those stickers to gather it up. And, if it did fly and crash to bits, I would not have cared. Half of this hobby is building (or rebuilding) and since money is not an issue, I will continue to do the same thing. It is worthy of note, too, I do not do the group thing with RC. I very much enjoy the hobby and interaction with most of the folks here. I don't need the crowds around asking all those time consuming questions.
AJ
I do agree with you on some of your points.
'DI' Daily inspection.
Although it is not satisfaction to have damage to a model. But when it happens, I enjoy having to repair the damage. Also any modifications that I can do is part of the pleasure.
I mostly fly with just one or two mates. Depending who turns up.
To day at the field, there were other people flying. They did not join the group of the three of us but were parked and flew just a couple of hundred yards away.
At one time there was four models in the air in what I thought was a limited bit of air space. My model/s was not one of them.
One of the other flyers we helped in the past to recover a model from a tree. You would think that he would join us when we are there. But no. Well we say that if he needs help again the he will have to seek it else where.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2011, 02:52 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
Trying to childishly justify stupid is, well... STUPID!

There are a good number of new RC pilots tracking this thread, and for their benefit I will reiterate. If you ever experience a crash, hard landing, unusual response to controls, or any other abnormal event, do not continue to fly or make another flight without a close inspection or investigation as to the cause. Even new pilots and us lowly readers can figure out why.

And AJ, you can (should) keep trying for that perfection but I wouldn't bet any money on it.

Ted
Of course, now you are back pedaling. but, ok. A cursory inspection is reasonable and expected. But, you are making an inspection almost a religion just to pump up your own ego. Sorry, I am not buying it.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Oct 14, 2011, 03:02 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
'DI' Daily inspection.
Although it is not satisfaction to have damage to a model. But when it happens, I enjoy having to repair the damage. Also any modifications that I can do is part of the pleasure.
To day at the field, there were other people flying. They did not join the group of the three of us but were parked and flew just a couple of hundred yards away.
At one time there was four models in the air in what I thought was a limited bit of air space. My model/s was not one of them.
One of the other flyers we helped in the past to recover a model from a tree. You would think that he would join us when we are there. But no. Well we say that if he needs help again the he will have to seek it else where.
As usual, you make a good point, I agree with your perspective. It is a shame that the other group did not come over and at least acknowledge your help from the last time. Ah, well, such is life. Did you get any videos when you did get to fly?
AJ
Old Oct 14, 2011, 03:06 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by banzi28 View Post
I've been waiting for those motors for over a month. I finally gave up and am looking for something from a US vendor.
Here is a USA vendor that has it. You might want to call them to see if they have one in stock. Shipping is a very reasonable $4.
http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...=0&item_id=587
AJ
Old Oct 14, 2011, 03:10 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,106 Posts
Quote:
Yes. They represent other vendors and verify that they are legitimate. The whole Alibaba site is one large scam.[SNIP] ... [SNIP] Any money you send them for anything will turn into vapor dollars.
AJ
Thank you for THAT....and pretty much proved to be my experience by 'that nameless company' [nameless 'cuz I don't want my brothers here to suffer the same sucker punch]. Synopsis: Spent most of night poring thru their LOADS of RC stuff, pickin' out goodies I needed or wanted for spares backup. Placed the order (with free shipping) and in my shop-cart it came to one total, clicked on PayPal to pay, wasn't allowed an itemized review, and saw no total until PayPal receipted me for an amount almost $30 higher! Thank Gawd I went thru PayPal....but it took almost 6 weeks to get it resolved.

They wound up shipping me about half the stuff, which I authorized PP to pay - after the fact - they said it was already shipped when we hit arbitration. Never opened the pkg so I could send it back untouched if PP said I should. After dust cleared, opened & found everywhere I'd ordered like 3 packs of 5, 3 packs of 10 (all happened to be clevises, control horns, hinges etc) they had sent 3 individual pieces instead of packs....on EVERY ONE. Here we go again! Trying to work with their customer service, you wouldn't believe the hoops they tried to make me jump thru (well, YOU prolly would AJ). Wanted me to send pictures - there's no place on the form to attach pix....and how do you send pix showing where some idiot simply couldn't count? I could've taken 1 of the 3 they sent & said the rest were missing?? They kept asking me same crap over & over, and awwww crap this could take forever to spill all the details but it just gets uglier & uglier & there goes the blood pressure so..... I finally just told them, and I quote: "If you so feel you need to STEAL this small amount of money from me, please just take it with my blessings, and know I'll never spend another penny with you and will take every opportunity to tell my friends or anyone else I can, of how you do business." Bastids!

Anyway...back to the future -- the note I hinted about was a news article. "That Company" is an Alibaba member - their website's in Ali's domain. Remember all the hellstorm that was raised when eBay jumped their prices once the hooks were in? Keep that in mind as you read:
http://news.yahoo.com/thousands-prot...042814208.html
( And note the part about Yahoo owning 40%. Din't know THAT, didja??)
Seems inflation's started catchin' up with China's cheap pricing - and I expect we (customers) will soon start catching the end result. I would say, "Get it quick, boys, while you still can".....but it's CHINA!

Peace,
Out.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2011, 03:10 PM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by banzi28 View Post
You can get it here

http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...73&item_id=587

You are too quick for me AJ.
ozair is offline Find More Posts by ozair
Last edited by ozair; Oct 14, 2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 03:13 PM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
'DI' Daily inspection.
FP just refer him/them to Gene, he will help them.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 03:15 PM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Thank you for THAT....and pretty much proved to be my experience by 'that nameless company' [nameless 'cuz I don't want my brothers here to suffer the same sucker punch]. Synopsis: Spent most of night poring thru their LOADS of RC stuff, pickin' out goodies I needed or wanted for spares backup. Placed the order (with free shipping) and in my shop-cart it came to one total, clicked on PayPal to pay, wasn't allowed an itemized review, and saw no total until PayPal receipted me for an amount almost $30 higher! Thank Gawd I went thru PayPal....but it took almost 6 weeks to get it resolved.

They wound up shipping me about half the stuff, which I authorized PP to pay - after the fact - they said it was already shipped when we hit arbitration. Never opened the pkg so I could send it back untouched if PP said I should. After dust cleared, opened & found everywhere I'd ordered like 3 packs of 5, 3 packs of 10 (all happened to be clevises, control horns, hinges etc) they had sent 3 individual pieces instead of packs....on EVERY ONE. Here we go again! Trying to work with their customer service, you wouldn't believe the hoops they tried to make me jump thru (well, YOU prolly would AJ). Wanted me to send pictures - there's no place on the form to attach pix....and how do you send pix showing where some idiot simply couldn't count? I could've taken 1 of the 3 they sent & said the rest were missing?? They kept asking me same crap over & over, and awwww crap this could take forever to spill all the details but it just gets uglier & uglier & there goes the blood pressure so..... I finally just told them, and I quote: "If you so feel you need to STEAL this small amount of money from me, please just take it with my blessings, and know I'll never spend another penny with you and will take every opportunity to tell my friends or anyone else I can, of how you do business." Bastids!

Anyway...back to the future -- the note I hinted about was a news article. "That Company" is an Alibaba member - their website's in Ali's domain. Remember all the hellstorm that was raised when eBay jumped their prices once the hooks were in? Keep that in mind as you read:
http://news.yahoo.com/thousands-prot...042814208.html
( And note the part about Yahoo owning 40%. Din't know THAT, didja??)
Seems inflation's started catchin' up with China's cheap pricing - and I expect we (customers) will soon start catching the end result. I would say, "Get it quick, boys, while you still can".....but it's CHINA!

Peace,
Out.
SH I second what AJ says about Alibaba as I was also stooged by them to the tune of $ 750-. Keep well away. You have been warned.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 03:19 PM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
As usual, you make a good point, I agree with your perspective. It is a shame that the other group did not come over and at least acknowledge your help from the last time. Ah, well, such is life. Did you get any videos when you did get to fly?
AJ
AJ, please answer this quickly (and lets hope that FP does not see it). Do you use any rate gyros on any of your SkyS's, can you recommend any for tail and ailerons.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 03:22 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,106 Posts
Quote:
...I would ask. How many do a DI before their first flight of the day?
Not to jump in any urinatin' contests....but if DI stands for 'Designated Inspection' like a formal clipboarded check-off inspection form, I don't go THAT far but I certainly do a daily PreFlight. And I always pay particular attention to the areas there's been trouble reported or warnings on in this forum - eg control horn holes & clevis attachments, hinging, prop, and all servo/control surfaces ops. I actually do most of mine while I'm assembling the wings & loadin' up the LiPo for flight....but don't actually resort to a checkoff list. (It ain't in writing but I sure DO inspect!) Cheap insurance, if ya ask me.
Which ya didn't so....bowing out!
~Grace Fully
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2011, 03:41 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozair View Post
AJ, please answer this quickly (and lets hope that FP does not see it). Do you use any rate gyros on any of your SkyS's, can you recommend any for tail and ailerons.
Too late.... Seen it. Yea little girl. If you can't fly it like a man/boy then stick a gyro on it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2011, 03:47 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,093 Posts
Quote:
AJ
Fortunately I got there early before the others turned up. So I got some flights in with my EZ* and one of my wing dragons.
Later we, Jeff and I were doing tests with a launch ramp that Jeff had built for our wings. Works well.
No videos of my flights as it was the same old thing. Nothing exciting.
RCG Plus Member