New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 02, 2015, 12:01 AM
Find More Posts by TomC
Gold Coast Coolangata, Australia
Joined Nov 2003
2,491 Posts
Discussion
Multiplex EasyStar II FPV

The Multiplex EasyStar II RR, together with a few FPV bits has to be one of the simplest, easy to fly FPV platforms out there right now imho.

I flew the original EasyStar many years ago when it had blue, crumbly styrofoam wings and was powered by a 400 brushed motor. It flew ok and I used it as a trainer that helped lots of newbies. However, the rudder response was very weak so it was really only flyable in light winds.

Fast forward a few years and the EasyStar II was born (same plane as the Hitec SkyScout btw). Much better white EPO foam and a RR version that includes a nice brushless motor, esc, and a couple of pre-installed 9g servos. I bought one of these to use as a trainer for new flying club members and it has worked out great.

Because of the much higher power output of the bl motor the rudder (which is also larger) is much more effective. To the point that I have not bothered to install the now, optional ailerons. Pop a 3s2200 pack onto this and you can glide/fly for +20 minutes easy.

So, to cut a long story short I bought another one for myself in order to convert it to a FPV. I got it from here;

http://www.worldhobbies.com/product/...f_cat_id=1BAA7

I started out with a simple Fatshark setup that included a 5.8g 250mw vtx and a FS 600tvl cmos camera. I loved this so ended up with a FS 5.8g 600mw vtx (not really necessary, 250mw was plenty btw) and a fy 41-ap lite autopilot (which I had already used on a couple of other fpv planes), and a surveilzone hs1177 600tvl ccd camera (mainly because it was a higher voltage capable camera that plugged into the 12v 41-ap easier, and it's a nice camera btw).

Overall, I could not be happier with this FPV setup. I still cannot believe I have not needed to add ailerons to this. Maybe in very windy conditions they could prove handy but for now the rudder only works fine. Plus it make it all soooo much more portable and easy to setup. All up flying weight w/3s2200 packs is only 930g and it still glides very well.

Edit; I love this so much I've just ordered another one, just in case, lol!

Anyway, here is a couple of pics of my ES2 (I add a Velcro strap on the canopy, over the gps unit before flying btw) and a video I did yesterday, recorded with my Fatshark Dominator V2 goggle's in-built dvr (I love these FPV goggles btw).

Best bang-for-your-buck fpv plane out there right now imho. It seems that multiplex/hitec USA are no longer importing the RR versions of the Multiplex ES2 or Hitec SkyScout. Not really sure why? The kit versions of both are readily available so with a little shopping around for the right motor/esc/servos (I'll leave that to you. Motor, esc, and servo specs are included in the kit manual btw) you should be able to fit this out fine imho. Also, a lot of info on the main EasyStar II thread;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ex+easystar+II

EasyStar II FPV with a 41ap autopilot (3 min 22 sec)
TomC is offline Find More Posts by TomC
Last edited by TomC; Jul 02, 2015 at 06:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts