Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 29, 2009, 06:18 PM
Silent Wings
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Don
You've got it! Just keep a paper towel handy 'cause you don't want excess water anywhere else. By the way, I tried a q tip in water, then acetone trying to get the blood spots off my wing......no luck. Now, if I lose my O3 somewhere and some bloke says it's his I can prove it by DNA.
I see that y'all are catching some more white stuff.

Yep, unless you're a "rodder" those damned vehicles can be a major pain in the posterior.

All you woodie guys.....HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Like bot says..."Thanks, Steve."
Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2009, 12:00 AM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Guys, I get embarrassed and uncomfortable when you credit me for this thread, it is you fellows that make this thread, all of you, not only me. I just checked and i have less than one quarter of all the posts on this thread. That's still a lot but not a controlling share, I don't want that, keep me humble if i fail and don't be shy.

Don, sorry if i came across as a drill sergeant, i didn't mean to be abrupt. I typed what i did because i care, you are a great bloke and you deserve the lightest, strongest OlyIII you can have. I refrain today from posting on other build threads when i see new builders getting a bit ambitious and making building decisions that have obvious compromises- its for them to learn, one day into the future they may once again read their words and think... 'wish i hadn't have done it quite that way now...in public view...' If there is one thing I've learnt from your build log Don, its that you are a smart builder that has faith in what true experts like Ray have created, you have my respect for that. In fact most all the guys that post on the woody thread seem to have this common sense, you all have my respect and some for your greater experience in RC gliding than I. It's only a fun hobby and after all, disposable income, but our time isn't.

Wishing all my woodie mates a great new year, and a better decade than the last, and many happy returns to the sky for all of us.

Thank you!
steve.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Last edited by atmosteve; Dec 30, 2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 09:14 AM
Silent Wings
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Steve
Doggone sure don't want you to feel embarrased! I apologize if I made you feel that way. All you did was to be the first to come up with the idea then we jumped on it. Kinda like the pizza places that used to be here. One company thought up the idea of putting two of the stores in. It wasn't long before we had them on nearly every corner.
You just keep on thinking up new ideas, pard.....we're here to help.
Don't get too sloshed celebrating the new year and the blue moon!!
Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:36 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,843 Posts
I wonder if the weather will be any good for Glider Sunday in Amarillo... I'm charged and ready! I intend to be pretty well sloshed... (2 beers does that for me... I was always a cheap date )... but not driving anywhere...

Jack
schrederman is online now Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:31 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post
Guys, I get embarrassed and uncomfortable when you credit me for this thread, it is you fellows that make this thread, all of you, not only me. I just checked and i have less than one quarter of all the posts on this thread. That's still a lot but not a controlling share, I don't want that, keep me humble if i fail and don't be shy.

Don, sorry if i came across as a drill sergeant, i didn't mean to be abrupt. I typed what i did because i care, you are a great bloke and you deserve the lightest, strongest OlyIII you can have. I refrain today from posting on other build threads when i see new builders getting a bit ambitious and making building decisions that have obvious compromises- its for them to learn, one day into the future they may once again read their words and think... 'wish i hadn't have done it quite that way now...in public view...' If there is one thing I've learnt from your build log Don, its that you are a smart builder that has faith in what true experts like Ray have created, you have my respect for that. In fact most all the guys that post on the woody thread seem to have this common sense, you all have my respect and some for your greater experience in RC gliding than I. It's only a fun hobby and after all, disposable income, but our time isn't.

Wishing all my woodie mates a great new year, and a better decade than the last, and many happy returns to the sky for all of us.

Thank you!
steve.
Dude! Sorry for what? I need a drill sergeant and you're a damn good one . I appreciate your words Steve very much, and everyone elses, and take them to heart. A little slow here at times and try to recreate the wheel too often...newbieitis . Sometimes I just need a "Do it like this, fool" for it to sink in . Please don't ever hesitate to slap a knot on my head if I'm going south, I depend on it buddy .

My sheets are all dry fitted, jigged up and flat. Checked all the contact points down the line and they look great. I'll glue it up tomorrow (wood to wood=wood glue, wood to CF=epoxy) and see what happens...should be bueno. The ultra dry weather (at least for Texas) bagged out my Spirit so I got it retightened and dewarped today for Friday's fly.

You fellas are the best! Have a safe holiday and super lift if you get to fly.

Don
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:32 AM
Practice Makes Precision
United States, MO, Knob Noster
Joined Jun 2006
3,531 Posts
So who's flying New Years day? I'm flying both tomorrow and Friday. Light winds and nice temps (mid 30's). I can't wait!
TDisaster is offline Find More Posts by TDisaster
Old Dec 31, 2009, 01:37 AM
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Well, its not looking to good way down here TD, yesterday it finally cleared and i went and maidened that Discus CS scale bird, but today its closing in and showery again, and New Years day tomorrow is expected to be the same.

Don, that sounds like a good combo, heaps of strength there, I would bet that it will work out perfect. Hmm, here is a chance perhaps to help reduce that tiny bow in your inner panels with the top D sheets? (insert scratch chin smiley)

As for being embarrassed, i shouldn't have admitted that, now you guys know how to get me good.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 09:50 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,843 Posts
Snowy in Clovis today... Tomorrow might be better...
schrederman is online now Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:05 AM
Practice Makes Precision
United States, MO, Knob Noster
Joined Jun 2006
3,531 Posts
I woke up to a few inches.

Maybe I'm not going flying today...
TDisaster is offline Find More Posts by TDisaster
Old Dec 31, 2009, 06:35 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!! May the new year be filled happiness, plenty of good weather and lots of thermals!
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Dec 31, 2009, 06:53 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Rain all day, freezing in the morning...I ain't flyin...
Old Dec 31, 2009, 07:00 PM
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
I will if i can, but its getting worse here as the morning travels, looks ready to pour down again.

Thanks Jeff, many returns for you to. The only ups and downs I'd like this year would be thermal induced.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:43 PM
Joined Jun 2009
410 Posts
Freeze fly

Stiff upper lip guys

Tomorrow the club I'm in here in Minnesota is having its annual Freeze fly, anything you can put up in the air including a few gliders launched via high start ... if they don't freeze solid.

Tomorrows forecast ... temp at fly time will be 2 degrees fahrenheit, with a NW wind of 10 mph, making the windchill -12 degrees We will be flying off a frozen lake covered with snow, lol

I have a mitten for my transmitter and a hand warmer or two to shove in there , should be a hoot

Happy New Year Gents!

Joe
flyb0y is offline Find More Posts by flyb0y
Last edited by flyb0y; Dec 31, 2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2010, 01:39 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Now THAT'S some dedicated fliers! Crazy but dedicated!
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Jan 03, 2010, 12:12 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Sheeting

It worked! Thanks guys for all the info and tips on the sheeting. I've got perfect contact with the ribs all the way through. The process is not as bad as I had feared...no more cryin like a pussy, I promise . You were right Steve, it took 90% of that pesky bow and flattened it out. It actually feels like a wing now and is very rigid....next!

Don