SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 21, 2007, 12:40 PM
USA, DE, Newark
Joined Sep 2001
127 Posts
Discussion
Electric Tugs???

Are there any electric tugs being used?

We are want to upgrade our electric tug with a new motor and want to see what others are using. We are now using a Graupner Taxi II with a Astro 120 motor, 17 x 10 prop, 12s2p 10,000mAH Maxamp cells all up weight 25 pounds. It tows ok but needs more speed and the motor gets HOT. We need to make a change.

Bill
billg is offline Find More Posts by billg
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2007, 02:16 PM
Stupid Gravity!
Arvada, Co
Joined Feb 2006
844 Posts
Can I ask another question about Tugs? What is the best attachment location for the Tug and the glider? Also, is your tow cable detachable in flight at both ends in case of a problem? How long or your tow cables and what are the constructed from?

I'm currently building an AerodromRC Stearman (48") with an AXI 2826 that I would like to tow 1.5-2M gliders up with. Should look great in the air!

Thanks,

Franny
Franny B is offline Find More Posts by Franny B
Old Jun 22, 2007, 02:55 AM
Jimbo and the Jet Set
York
Joined Jul 2005
544 Posts
Hi,

I've been doing some research as my old tug retired (!) last weekend, here is an e-mail I received from Jonathan Alpert regarding his TAXI 2400 setup

I own the Taxi 2400 that we are using for aero towing- I use a 12S2P 10,000 mah Thunderpower batteries with a Steve Nu BAM motor with a 6.7:1 planetary gear swinging a 26X15 APC prop and a Castle Creations HV85 speed controller. We have installed a tow release (same as you see in the Gliders front nose) in the top of the fuse behind the trailing edge of the wing. I get about 6 monster tows before having to charge, however after each tow, I land and charge up (uses about 1.5 amps per tow). I use a separate receiver batter pack. Also I have a 12S2P Evo 7400 mah pack as my second set of batteries. They will give me 4 -5 good tows. (by the way, we put a GPS on one of the flights, and we get app 1800-2000 ft up prior to release (WAY UP THERE!)

I had custom landing gear made by TnT Landing Gears to extend the distance between the ground and the prop, as well as the carbon 3” tail gear (also from TnT). Also I use 6” Du Bro balloon tires to help as well. This raises the ground clearance high enough not to get any prop hits.

I can tow just about anything with this set up. The plane will go vertical without a tow and is quite aerobatic. It can climb at an unreal rate with a light 4 meter plane and will towed up my Ventus 3rd scale 5 meter scale plane without any issues, (this plane is heavy!) I have taken it to several aerotow events and everyone who see it performs says the same thing- “Holly s**t- I would not have believed it if I didn’t see it with my own eyes” !

Quote:
Originally Posted by billg
Are there any electric tugs being used?

We are want to upgrade our electric tug with a new motor and want to see what others are using. We are now using a Graupner Taxi II with a Astro 120 motor, 17 x 10 prop, 12s2p 10,000mAH Maxamp cells all up weight 25 pounds. It tows ok but needs more speed and the motor gets HOT. We need to make a change.

Bill
Jimmy_H is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy_H
Old Jun 22, 2007, 10:25 AM
USA, DE, Newark
Joined Sep 2001
127 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for the info Jimmy_H.

Based on Jonathan's email and some Motocalc magic, it looks like he is using a BAM 2215/2y motor, about 3500 watts at 84 amps. We were looking at a BAM 2215/1.5 with a 24x12 prop, about 5000 watts, but based on Jonathan's email it may be overkill and I don't know what the smaller prop diameter will do to the towing capability.

Is there any chance that we could get some pictures of Jonathan's plane with its particulars like all up weight and part number for the motor?

Bill
billg is offline Find More Posts by billg
Old Jun 22, 2007, 11:03 AM
Jimbo and the Jet Set
York
Joined Jul 2005
544 Posts
Hi there Bill,

I e-mailed Jonathan a few days ago, hopefully he'll send me some and I'll post then here

Seems like the BAM is the way to go for those big planes, meanwhile i'll stick with my AXI 5345

Jim
Jimmy_H is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy_H
Old Oct 31, 2007, 08:22 PM
Yes, "that" Karl...
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Mar 2007
1,681 Posts
Has anyone seen a Hyperion z5045-16 or 18 used for a high power glider tug?

I'm thinking of running a Graupner Taxi on this motor with 12s2p a123 4600maH. Will provide voltage comparable to 10s lipo.

I may not end up tugging right away with it, but anything worth powering is worth overpowering!! Just kidding D) . I would like to set up for large parachute prize drops in the future. Who knows what else will come into my head as this should be a good platform for carrying lots of weight.

Thanks

Karl
karl k is offline Find More Posts by karl k