HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2004, 11:31 PM
Bartlesville, Oklahoma, United States
Joined Jan 2004
124 Posts
Free HLG/DLG plans?

Does anyone know of any plans available for free online for a beginner HLG/DLG? I've been flying for a while but never a glider of any type.

I met a local guy flying a DLG and am very interested but I'm not too excited about $300+ for a plane to learn on. Besides I like to build.

And can any HLG be modified to a DLG by adding a peg and reinforcing the tip?

Any other basic glider information that I may need to know is welcome as well.

Thanks, Mike
manderson is offline Find More Posts by manderson
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2004, 12:09 AM
John W
Wa.
Joined May 2004
90 Posts
For HLG checkout....

Hi,

If you are interested in HLG a good site to go to is liftworx.com. Either the Herring or Seeker if you are on a budget will get the job done for pretty darn cheap. Good luck!

-John
jbowne is offline Find More Posts by jbowne
Old Jul 08, 2004, 12:22 AM
Zen Flying Master
Sweetwater, TN
Joined Sep 2002
829 Posts
Another idea would be the Gambler plans from Allen Wright for $16. http://www.wrightbrothersrc.com/our_...bler_plans.htm A very proven design and robust. Also, if you'd settle for SAL to start, you might want to consider the bug plans from RCM&E
AUBrian is offline Find More Posts by AUBrian
Old Jul 08, 2004, 12:45 AM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,192 Posts
Mike,

Not any HLG can be modified to DL by just adding a peg. The stresses of DL are much higher than javelin or side-arm launching. Most DLGs have a sub-fin on the rudder to counteract torque from the discus launch, and also have a stiffer boom to handle the extra stresses. If you're new to HLG/DLG you're probably best off starting with an already proven DL design.

There aren't many, if any, free DLG plans out there for built-up balsa, but the Bug plans are about $10 shipped to your door from RCm&E and if you read the Yahoo group for the Bug there are mods to allow it to be discus launched. It's probably the most affordable starting point if you're really looking to start inexpensively.

My Gambler plans are the next step up from the Bug, a little more expensive, and the plane, if built from plans will require additional costs in materials over the Bug, but you can probably get one built from plans for slightly under $50 in plans and materials, although that's only a little bit less than the kit cost, so if you decide to go with a Gambler, you'll probably find the kit the way to go.

If you have experience using vacuum bagging equipment, Mark Drela's SuperGee DLG design plans are free from the Charles River RC site. Mark's SuperGee and AG series airfoils are THE reference standard that all other DLGs are measured against at this time. The fact that Mark gives away his design free contributes to the many commercial DLGs based on his design that are available. There are also built-up balsa and solid balsa wing HLG plans available on the CRRC site, so it's a good place to start your search.
Allan Wright is offline Find More Posts by Allan Wright
Old Jul 08, 2004, 01:23 AM
Rochester New York
Joined Feb 2004
622 Posts
if you are looking for the quickest / cheapest way

Then what Alan described seems to be right on the money, if you are willing to go with an inexpensive kit, either Allans gambler, or if you are into tailess Mike's boomer are great choices. If you insist on scratch buildeing something from "free" plans , the little nipper group is still active on yahoo, this is the plane that became the seeker. It is a foam core wing with a "pulled" petg nose pod and carbon tail. petg can be had cheap at mcmaster car, but you would need to cut or have cut the wing cores. In the end analysis I would not be surprised if allens gambler performs better than the seeker but I do not own either plane (yet) so your mileage may vary. And by the time you got an adequate little nipper built you would certainly have gone through 60m - 70 dollars worth of materials. Scratch building is done from the desire to do something by scratch not to save money. The biggest source of cost with these inexpensive kits is the electronics anways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Wright
Mike,

Not any HLG can be modified to DL by just adding a peg. The stresses of DL are much higher than javelin or side-arm launching. Most DLGs have a sub-fin on the rudder to counteract torque from the discus launch, and also have a stiffer boom to handle the extra stresses. If you're new to HLG/DLG you're probably best off starting with an already proven DL design.

There aren't many, if any, free DLG plans out there for built-up balsa, but the Bug plans are about $10 shipped to your door from RCm&E and if you read the Yahoo group for the Bug there are mods to allow it to be discus launched. It's probably the most affordable starting point if you're really looking to start inexpensively.

My Gambler plans are the next step up from the Bug, a little more expensive, and the plane, if built from plans will require additional costs in materials over the Bug, but you can probably get one built from plans for slightly under $50 in plans and materials, although that's only a little bit less than the kit cost, so if you decide to go with a Gambler, you'll probably find the kit the way to go.

If you have experience using vacuum bagging equipment, Mark Drela's SuperGee DLG design plans are free from the Charles River RC site. Mark's SuperGee and AG series airfoils are THE reference standard that all other DLGs are measured against at this time. The fact that Mark gives away his design free contributes to the many commercial DLGs based on his design that are available. There are also built-up balsa and solid balsa wing HLG plans available on the CRRC site, so it's a good place to start your search.
windsox is online now Find More Posts by windsox
Old Jul 08, 2004, 04:48 AM
Joined May 2004
9 Posts
manderson?

heh, I think we may have the same name!

One site with plans not mentioned is the Terminator site:

http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...minatorhlg.htm

I'm going to build one myself, as soon as I figure out how to upsize the wing templates so I can cut the foam cores.

Best regards,
MA
New User1 is offline Find More Posts by New User1
Old Jul 08, 2004, 08:02 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
Allen is there a thread or do you have your own site with details on your gambler kits? I would like to know more about the plane and kit details. Thanks. I'm afraid if I do a search I may be reading for the next month and not flying.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Jul 08, 2004, 08:47 AM
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Jun 2004
241 Posts
Steve,

Here is Allen's site: http://www.wrightbrothersrc.com/our_kits/gambler.htm

Doug
dborros is offline Find More Posts by dborros
Old Jul 08, 2004, 11:57 AM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,193 Posts
Just remember that the Terminator is not designed to be discus launched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New User1
manderson?

heh, I think we may have the same name!

One site with plans not mentioned is the Terminator site:

http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...minatorhlg.htm

I'm going to build one myself, as soon as I figure out how to upsize the wing templates so I can cut the foam cores.

Best regards,
MA
John Gallagher is online now Find More Posts by John Gallagher
Old Jul 08, 2004, 12:42 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
One last silly question. Where do the cloth materials go? I'm guessing wing halves joint, tip reinforcment. Am I correct? Gyro not required? Flapperon version available soon?
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Jul 08, 2004, 11:12 PM
Joined Jan 2004
124 Posts
Let's start with something that may be a silly questions, but what is "SAL"? I've seen it a few times but can't get my feeble mind to figure out what is stands for.

And a question about gyro's, are the needed? Are they only needed on some models? Are they just something that's a convinence but not required? And what kind of gyro is used in a DLG?

Too bad the terminator's a DLG. Could that type of construction be reinforced for DL with the addition of a bit CF tape?

BTW, thanks for all great information.

Mike
Old Jul 08, 2004, 11:27 PM
Joined Jan 2004
124 Posts
It always amazes me how many times I can figure out the answer to my own questions just by asking them publicly.

SAL = Side Arm Launch

Is that right?

Mike
Old Jul 09, 2004, 04:13 AM
Bill Scott
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Belfast
Joined Nov 2002
604 Posts
I'm just about finished building a Terminator. Taught me a lot. I built a glass fuz using the lost foam technique. Taught myself to cut foam using a rig like a Brengman and then skinned using balsa and epoxy. Justthe finish and the RC gear to fit and I'm ready to rock n'roll . Well worth starting with
billscottuk is offline Find More Posts by billscottuk
Old Jul 10, 2004, 03:01 AM
Joined May 2004
9 Posts
manderson

SAL, yea it took me a bit to figure that one out. The Terminator style gliders are sometimes referred to as "javelin launch," which is fine by me. It will give me some experience bagging a glass wing, and I'll have a fun toy to take to the park and chuck around. I think the Terminator wing could be modified for discus launch, or you could even strap one of those fancy Supergee wings to the Terminator fuse if you had a mind to. Lots of possibilities when you're building your own plane.

billscottuk

What did you use for templates when you cut your wing? Did you use the Adobe Acrobat templates from the Terminator plans? The plans say the wing cord is suppose to be 7 inches(17.8cm), but when I print them the cord is only 6 5/8 inches, making them 3/8 inch short(~1cm). TIA if you know how to fix them. Good luck on the maiden flight of your new Terminator.

Best regards,

NU1
New User1 is offline Find More Posts by New User1
Old Jul 10, 2004, 12:07 PM
Joined Jan 2004
124 Posts
New User1,

I'll probably try to build a HLG/DLG but not until this winter. Winter's building season you know.

And I'm certainly no expert in this but I think the wing core chord will be short of the expected finished wing chord due to the balsa sheeting.

Thanks, Mike