HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:57 AM
Florida_Phil
Joined Dec 2014
2 Posts
Discussion
SIG Kadets

I just got back into the hobby after a long absence. So much has changed... I love to build and it seems like everyone is flying pre-built planes these days. I have a couple myself and they fly fine, but I want to build my models from balsa. I'm thinking about buying a SIG Kadet kit and converting it to electric power. I'm kind of confused as there seems to be many variations of this plane; Senior, Seniorita, lT-40, Mark II, Etc. What's the difference? Is one better than another for electric power? I'm looking for a nice flying trainer style aircraft. Thanks for the help!
Phil Kelley is offline Find More Posts by Phil Kelley
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2014, 12:36 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,532 Posts
I have a Seniorita converted to electric and a tail dragger. Hard to beat for slow, easy flight. I reduced the dihedral and put ailerons on mine, but as 3 channel bird, they are very stable.
baldguy is offline Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Dec 14, 2014, 12:54 PM
Moorpark, Ca.
Joined Apr 2004
1,118 Posts
I have a LT-40 that is a wonderful flyer converted to electric. I flew it for years with a little 36mm outrunner on 3s, and a 10" prop but have since put a more powerful motor on 4s and a 12" prop because I'v been using it to do some flight videos. bullet proof flyer. Good luck. Blue skies!

Rick
RickAvery is online now Find More Posts by RickAvery
Old Dec 15, 2014, 10:56 AM
Lawrence, Kansas
Joined Dec 2001
610 Posts
Like baldguy, I have a Seniorita converted to a taildragger, but I kept it 3 channel (turns on rudder). Wonderful slow, relaxing flyer, pretty much lands itself. Great also on skis and floats. Converted it to electric back when 1500 mAH NiCds were cutting edge, still flies great on a geared, brushed Astro motor but flight times have doubled and landing speeds are slower with LiPos. Normally you fly a 3 channel with the rudder on the aileron stick, but I kept forgetting to steer with the aileron stick on the ground, so I eventually mixed the rudder with aileron in the transmitter so I could steer on the ground with the rudder stick like all my other planes.

The Kadets all have the same outline and my impression is they all fly pretty similar.

The Seniorita is the smallest (but still as big or bigger than most "40-size" trainers), uses tricycle landing gear, mostly built up from lots of little sticks so definitely a builder's kit. Very light and strong for its size. Three-channel as stock.

The LT-25 is the same size as the Seniorita but with simplified construction (more sheet, fewer sticks) and taildragger gear. (I think it also is 4 channel, with ailerons, but not sure).

The Senior is the larger version of the Seniorita, similar construction and tricycle gear, I assume it is probably 4 channel.

The LT-40 is the same size as the Senior, but with simplified construction like the LT-25, and I believe it is also a taildragger.

Even the LT's build light compared to ARFs, and the Senior and 'Rita will fly happily on half the power of an ARF trainer of the same wing span. All make great electric trainers, and they may even come with electric conversion instructions these days.

- - Dave
DaveA is offline Find More Posts by DaveA
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:55 PM
Florida_Phil
Joined Dec 2014
2 Posts
Thanks for the input. It looks like the LT-25 is the way I'll go. I like the size and the ailerons are a plus. Lots of good conversion info on the Internet also.
Phil Kelley is offline Find More Posts by Phil Kelley
Old Dec 15, 2014, 02:05 PM
Moorpark, Ca.
Joined Apr 2004
1,118 Posts
The LT-40 is a trike, don't know about the 25.
RickAvery is online now Find More Posts by RickAvery
Old Dec 15, 2014, 09:18 PM
Lawrence, Kansas
Joined Dec 2001
610 Posts
I have the LT-25 kit still in the box, mine at least is a taildragger. I got the kit used, it may be several years old, but assuming they have not revised the kit recently it should be a taildragger. Yup, folks have been converting this one to electric since within about an hour of it first being released, should be tons of info here on RCG. Ol' Derek Woodard, may he rest in peace, always said that Sig kits all seem to be electric designs that they somehow neglected to include the electric instructions with. Very well-engineered, light-building kits.

- - Dave
DaveA is offline Find More Posts by DaveA