HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:48 AM
Joined Feb 2013
24 Posts
Discussion
Could use some assistance with motor mount and details - Grim Reaper

Hey everyone... I'm in the process of building a Grim Reaper from CrashTestHobby.com .. I've got the wing built, taped and laminated.. now I'm supposed to be installing the motor bracket/mount and motor .. but the instructions don't really explain how to piece it all together... so I'm looking for some good photos/tips of how it all goes together .. here's what I've got for equipment, based off the suggested equipment list on the CrashTestHobby website:

CrashTestHobby.com Grim Reaper
Motor - NTM 35-30 1400KV from Hobby King
NTM Prop Drive accessory kit
9x6 propellers (10 of them).. the hole in the prop seems too small for the threaded shaft for the motor though.
Turnigy 2650mah battery packs (2 of them)
60A ESC with BEC
Turnigy metal gear servos (2 of them)
Turnigy Accucel-6 chargers (2 of them)
Turnigy 9X Transmitter/receiver

Pics of build so far:

Thanks for any insight/tips on how to mount the motor squarely, as well as how all the parts fit together
cal_gecko is offline Find More Posts by cal_gecko
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:47 PM
Joined Feb 2013
24 Posts
So, does the armature end of the motor point towards the plane and not really do anything? It seems like the part that spins the prop on a combat wing is the part that bolts to the other end of the motor (with the threads visible on my photo), is that correct? I cannot figure out what to do with the "X" shaped piece of aluminum either, and how that's supposed to fit with the mounting bracket. The instructions that are provided are pretty meager and were missing some details.... the motor mounting part of it is one of the details that were not included with the plane... it's making the build a little frustrating, I kinda wish I had just bought a Zagi instead, they came with great instructions!
cal_gecko is offline Find More Posts by cal_gecko
Old Apr 01, 2013, 06:11 PM
United States, ID, Shelley
Joined Dec 2011
445 Posts
An "X" mount is usually used to mount the motor on a flat (vertical) firewall.
The holes in the angled bracket will likely line up with the holes in the motor, so you won't need/use the X-mount.

Your motor looks to have a bolt-on prop adapter on one side, which the silver nose cone then threads onto to secure the prop. The other side looks to be a bare shaft, which wouold require a "collet" or clamping style prop adapter.

Looks like the motor could be mouted "behind" (plane's perspective) the angled mounting plate, so that the entire motor and prop is behind the mount.

If you want to use a collect style adapter, you can likely remove the threaded adapter and mount the motor to the "front" of the mount, so that the smooth shaft and prop are the only parts extending though, or out behind the mount.

Keep in mind that your CG will shift a little bit, wither forward or backwards, with the different mounting styles.

Good luck.
ddemu is offline Find More Posts by ddemu