SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:05 PM
United States, ID, Kuna
Joined Feb 2008
86 Posts
the long stroke rossi's are 5 port engines,and the cases reflect this , in the detail on the transfer ports externally, within the long stroke group, there are simple longstroke five ports in .61 and .65 configuration, both side and rear exhaust. there is also the 3+2 version that have fully stuffed cranks, they are filled with black epoxy and are (full circle type counterweighted), the rarest 3+2 engines have windowed pistons
lfinney54 is offline Find More Posts by lfinney54
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:21 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,974 Posts
Lorin,

I heard that Rossi only made their RE LS for about a year and a half and no one bought them. After this, when Morris and SIG got involved they supposedly started making engines with more of a sport timing than the early 80's speed and pattern type timing.

As for the 5 port and the 3+2 port, how did these differ? Was the windowed 3+2 considered to be the most powerful?

I have seen a SS Webra Speed RE with Dynamix outperform the old early 80's Rossi FIRE by about 500 rpm on the same prop, plug, fuel and pipe.

David
doxilia is online now Find More Posts by doxilia
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:37 PM
United States, ID, Kuna
Joined Feb 2008
86 Posts
the windowed versions were the hottest, but still pussycats handling wise, the standard 3 port rear exhaust rossi's were good but the webra was smidge better with the dynamix carb...the rossi had 8-8.5 Mm carb stock...with a rossi 10 MM carb its a different story...the perception was that the longstrokes weren't as powerful...this was wrong...you could throw a 12x9 or 12x10 apc and set pipe long and they would still perform very well. the 3+2 port engines were the same as a five port in base configuration..the the 3+2 had full circle cranks. i have setup a number of the longstroke version for other flyers with macs quiet pipes and apc 12x8, 12x9 etc and they all were sound compliant for competition, none ever need anything but new bearings after 200 flights or so..normal for any engine used in pattern.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:48 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,974 Posts
Just to substantiate the discussion, I've attached some pictures of the presumed 3 port FIRE Rossi and the later 3+2 version.

Interesting to note is that the later 3+2 version doesn't have a removable front end to the crankcase and the carburetor retainer pin is in the back rather than the front. The later version (at least in this picture) is also pre-tapped (at the factory I presume) for tank pressure or an external pump (e.g., Perry VP-30).

Lorin, this leads to a question regarding pumps: I have a 10 mm carb but was under the impression that the engines didn't pull fuel well enough with them so most everyone used the 8-8.5 mm carbs. Is a pump necessary to run the 10 mm carbs? Can the Rossi 10 mm carbs be used in conjunction with a VP-30?

Similar question for the OPS' - both 60 SE Ursus (3 port red head) and 61 RE Super (5 port gold head). OPS has an 8 and 9 mm carb. Can either of them be used in conjunction with a VP-30 or do these Perry pumps need to be mated to their same brand carbs?

Rossi claims a spec of 2.35 hp @ 17.5K on the 3 port FIRE. Any idea on the spec for the 3+2 port?

Thanks for the info - it's all good.

Edit: Founds some other Rossi RE pictures of much later vintage. Note the grey head on this one which would lead one to believe this is a long stroke engine. The engine belongs to Dave Harmon and he apparently measured the internals and says it's a SS although he initially thought it was a LS. I'm wondering if it actually might be one of the few and rare square engines Rossi made but if it was bought very recently from Sahak, then it is bound to be a SS which Rossi went back to after supposedly being dissatisfied with the LS engine and market.

David
Last edited by doxilia; Dec 12, 2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:02 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,974 Posts
For those interested, Rossi 3 port FIRE w/ OS carb and Webra Speed FIRE w/ Dynamix on the stand. Courtesy of David Wood.

David
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:11 AM
United States, IL, Naperville
Joined Apr 2007
305 Posts
NIB Rossi rear exhaust with header and pipe choices
NIB OPS rear exhaust with header and pipe choices

The pictures below are of my engines and may not be the egine you buy because I have 3 or more of each. You will receive a picture of your exact engine if you buy it.

Prices for headers and pipes and shipping are extra!

Price in the $220-$250 range.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Berusty is offline Find More Posts by Berusty
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:46 AM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,974 Posts
Rusty,

I might be interested. It would be helpful if you posted photos of the actual engines you plan to sell.

OPS included headers with their RE engines. Do you have OPS fuse top headers to go with the engine? In addition to the red head, do you have any gold head (Super) engines?

Please send me a PM or email with prices.

Thanks, David
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:52 PM
Joined Apr 2007
305 Posts
I have headers and pipes...lots of headers and pipes.

I will send photo if you PM me and supply e-mail address.

Rusty
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:13 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berusty View Post
I have headers and pipes...lots of headers and pipes.

I will send photo if you PM me and supply e-mail address.

Rusty
Rusty,

done!

David
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:50 PM
Kevin S. Gribben
Joined Mar 2011
361 Posts
Rusty, Do you have the 65 marine Rossi pipe ?...... square end simliar to old school Macs but with bolt on rear stinger and cap.
Kevin2035 is online now Find More Posts by Kevin2035
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:30 AM
Joined Apr 2007
305 Posts
I have a couple dozen pipes...

I just need to post pictures and prices.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:20 PM
United States, ID, Kuna
Joined Feb 2008
86 Posts
the 10MM carbs will work fine without a pump, but using a vp 30 is ok too, the idle needles have gone through several iterations. the long stroke 3+2 engines with Macs quiet pipe will turn a apc north of 17k , I setup one for a friend and he was sceptical of using a larger prop, we used a 12x9 apc in the end, and it was horrifically fast...so pattern is flown at half throttle and it met sound checks easily. I use 8-32 pressure taps on the 60 size motors
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:01 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,403 Posts
lfinney54,
What kind of Pattern do you fly with this engine?
Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Last edited by stuntflyr; Dec 17, 2012 at 05:53 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:30 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,974 Posts
Chris,

what engine? Several are mentioned in the thread.

David
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:52 AM
United States, ID, Kuna
Joined Feb 2008
86 Posts
the ballistic era planes and early turnaround airframes will work very well with the 3+2 longstroke engines, the shortstroke rossi 60 engines work very well with a Macs quiet pipe or Hatori pipe set long...I currently have the new dirty birdy arf and the P7 arf as well as two P8's